Fink for Outlaw 2012

All training together! :-)

301 to 320 of 1,313 messages
adbru    pirate
23/10/2011 at 17:11

Hi Guys,

quick question , I am thinking about using the plan on 'beginnertriathlete.com' but its a 20 week program.

Can someone tell me what the long sessions are on Fink for week 10 (20 to go...), BT seems to have the long sessions as about 90mins for the run and 2 hours for the bike.

May try and follow you guys on fink until Feb and then may change to BT as I've used them before.

On a training note I ran 4 miles today
(havent swam properly since oct 2010 and cycled a toal of 20 miles so far this year lol )

Cheers

Edited: 23/10/2011 at 17:12
Running Postie    pirate
23/10/2011 at 17:38

right read the book...the plan really does look good.I'm in for a penny in for a pound, so am opting for the 'competitive'plan (as im only doing the bike leg of Outlaw, the rest of it is for my benefit only). Although i'm going to change the days around so the OH can fit in his Outlaw training as well. I will now need a regular kick up the backside to make sure I fit the training in.

I have thought about morning training and had a light bulb moment. The clocks change this weekend, so we gain an extra hour in bed until April. As my body clock is already used to getting up at stupid o'clock, I may as well stick to this and use the extra hour in the morning for my runs and get myself a quiet turbo trainer(if there is such a thing)

Doner Kebab    pirate
23/10/2011 at 18:33

AH and OC - firstly - big thanks guys - you are right on and in a thread some ago I did say that i thought friel was more to my liking but so many people steered me towards FInk that i felt compelled to go with people that knew more than me - but looking back I didnt tell the people that I was training as much as I am - i just expressed interest as a first timer. Friel seems a much more adaptable approach with the athlete requiring more techincal knowlegde. I like science

I do know that i am putting in some sh1tty miles but on the upside i have always thought that when training gets more intense i will obviously drop the junk for more focused sessions, this way i wont be required to find the time - just make better use of it. ATM my junk miles keeps my weight in check but i do a long run and a tempo run sp do try to make most sessions count

I am able to swim 4k now without too much stress and with knowing that i can now reduce the amount of long swims. although my bike wasnt too bad at the vit i do need to get on with some long rides, i have only ever done the vit course - once for practice, once for real and that amounts to my long rides to date.

M...eldy    pirate
23/10/2011 at 18:39
I would be inclined to drop back a bit DK, go to around 7 or 8 hours a week and wait for the plan to catch up, come all the long bike rides and runs you dont know quite how that will affect you and you dont want to go stale and overtrained
I think once the winter draws in you may find it less easy anyway
23/10/2011 at 18:52
TJ1004 wrote (see)
Saffers what do you think of THE BOOK? Took me two reads to get my head around it!

Liking the book so far but only on Chapter 5, trying to tune out to my noisy kids isn't always easy but it is written in a simple way that even I am understanding, although I haven't got to the plans as yet!

Ran today, 10m  on the plan as I am racing The Great South on Sunday.  Ran the same last week and it was a really good run..... but how different can two runs be.  Calf felt tight at two miles and by 5 me and my training buddy decided to take a shorter route home as stretching the calf wasn't making it feel any easier.  I walked the hills as running them made it worse. Did 8.5m but felt disappointed with myself but know there is no point damaging myself. Got home and stretched loads, skins are on and will be massaging.  Not sure what the trouble is as not quite cramping but just tightening.  Hoping it is nothing and I am worrying for nowt! I am a born worrier unfortunately......must keep my positive head on.  The only difference to the training this week was a turbo and a spin class and not sure if this could be the reasoning.......also went off a tad faster than usual and hit a 17% hill at mile 2 so maybe just not warmed up enough....... right that's enough waffle from me.

Doner Kebab    pirate
23/10/2011 at 19:24
meldy - i see your reasoning there, i got rutland mara in 2 weeks and i will take a couple of easy/easier weeks then but if i drop down to 7 or 8 hours ill put on weight - i just eat so much and no,  i cant stop eating - lets just say its a personality trait  
Edited: 23/10/2011 at 19:24
M...eldy    pirate
23/10/2011 at 19:58
Just dont get to April/May time next year and ask why you are so tired et,c, et,c

Put some of that mental attitude towards a healthy diet and a healthy amount of training so that you can achieve that goal next year

and yes thay may have been a bit of a nag 
OrangeCannon kona-4    pirate
23/10/2011 at 20:22

Aunty meldy speaks sense.......

The aim is to hit Feb/March all guns blazing... The weather gets better and out you go for your long rides.

In my first year, I did the Vit, had a week off, then cracked on with training for my first IM.... My mentor suggested that I calm down ablt.... (perhaps brick sessions in October before work were a bit over the top, and 20 hr weeks in Nov were not maintainable).  Gom was right....

The long runs trucked on over the winter with no issues
I struggled to get out for more than 2-3 hours over winter on the bike. My feet just froze.

Things then picked up in March onwards.....   built up to some 6 hr rides...
Even so I felt CBA by May - did the Swashbuckler,a couple of sportives, but apart from that did not hit anything massive in June, ie a big taper.

So the moral of the story is building endurance up for the first time, (and subsequent times) is hard, and takes comitment.  You need all your  *oomph* from March onwards,

don't use it all up know...

However I like my junk miles on the bike....I commute by bike as it saves me money. People say they are junk miles, but on the otherhand something has made me a strong biker...... 

(now I've got the endurance my coach is pushing me out for long rides now, but then I'll be tapering from the end of April, and will miss / cut short rides in Jan/Feb)

IronCat5    pirate
23/10/2011 at 21:03

I have been wondering the same with regard to my running. Did my first marathon yesterday, and wanted to keep the running fitness up over the winter to get a good HM time, and put a dent in Fink.

However I think it will be a trial to do so, and I know I can cut back on the running to develop the cycling, and put some time aside for R&R and family.

I've certainly had enough of long runs for the moment. The XC season starts next weekend, so an hour at race pace every 2 weeks will be a great change. And there is the small matter of the Ballbuster.

Like DK though I am concerned about putting a load of weight back on. I struggled to do so last week whilst carb loading, but I'm sure it will begin to creep up..

TR
23/10/2011 at 21:06
O.rangeCannon - you have a coach  ?.................and I had you down as being out of the same (not bad for a numpty) mould as me ..................another shattered illusion !
23/10/2011 at 22:02

only started about April last year, (buy a set of deep section wheels or get a coach for a year)

I was a bit shocked by the inc bike volume, but a 5 h ride feels normal now.........

23/10/2011 at 22:42
AH and OC, thanks for all your input. That really does make sense. And I'm learning an awful lot. Kind of hope I can remember it to put into practice. Thanks.
TR
23/10/2011 at 23:16
OC - i'm sure it'll do you the power of good, esp if the bike volume shocked you. I still find a 3hr ride a long way myself.
24/10/2011 at 09:25
If you need a bit of 1:1 support/a way of asking stupid questions to one person rather than the whole forum, have a look at the mentors thread.
I found that really useful for my first year.

Note- find someone with similar background if possible- will make any help way more relevant/ appropriate. Ie I have no concept of what it's like at the back of the pack, and what it's like still going after 16 hrs
Orca    pirate
24/10/2011 at 09:57

Have we been spammed???

Quick question for those who have done multiple IMs. How do you get the motivation back year after year. I'm not scheduled to start training properly for another month and am just ticking over at the moment but even at that, I'm struggling with motivation. I did nothing over the weekend ( and it wasn't because I had loads of other stuff on, I just CBA) so I figured I would be fresh for this morning's swim session. I felt like crap. No energy what so ever. I ended up leaving the session half way through (very rare for me, at least  in swimming ) as I felt I was doing more harm than good. Now I accept I might just be a little run down or coming down with something at the moment but I am worried about having the mojo to go for another 30 weeks when I start Fink again and would welcome some tips from those who do it year after year. .

24/10/2011 at 11:17

Orca - i am not one of those who have done multiple IM's - 2 so far, but I am beginning to look ahead, like you, and sometimes wonder if I will keep my motivation going in the months/years ahead.

My answer is to almost forget that I am IM training but just to carry on my training in the normal manner which has become part of the fabric of my life.  I cant imagine what i would do these days if I wasn't running and cycling in my spare time ( very little swimming ever happens in the Shady world!)

I look forward to the Sportives in the summer such as The Chiltern 100, Flat Out...' etc which I enjoy in their own right but which are obviously great for IM training.

I also have to choose events which motivate me such as Embrunman last year and challenge me as far as possible.

The day the training and Sportives all become a total drag is the day i know that i need to find something else.  But it might well be injury which stops my IM journey before I get fed up with it.....we'll see!       

24/10/2011 at 11:39
I've just posted on the Outlaw thread, but I don't think I'm going to be able to do the full IM in July
Up for relaying instead though
However, my IM plans are just delayed, not scrapped, so will continue to follow this thread with interest!
24/10/2011 at 12:49
Not on Draft!!!! That's it I'm doing UKIM
24/10/2011 at 13:56

Orca - hmmm - I know what you mean. But  prob best not to even think about it all at the mo.

I'm determined to be mentally fresh and am not going to do IM training until after Christmas. i've got a base and I'm maintaining it at the mo (except swimming) so at the mo if ever I get a 'that would be good IM training' type thought I shove it away.  Meanwhile have instead decided to work on my running a bit, speed in particular. So it's feeling quite wierd to go out and do a threshold run or some hill work or something which seems really short - but gratifyingly hard. It'll help IM a bit but the main thing is it's still training but is completely diff to IM stuff.  I did the Grim duathlon yesterday, am goign to give a local 10 miler a bash in a couple of weeks and may do the Grim 9 miler in Dec just because it's completely different. And just a bit stupid.

Orca you're a great swimmer so it's not going to kill you not to swim for a bit. Give yourself a break! (might give me a chance to catch up with you, too )

bburn plO.dder    pirate
24/10/2011 at 14:07

A quiet week for me last week, 5 hours, 3 swims, 2 bikes and just 1 run, nothing longer than an hour. 

When I checked back the previous 5 weeks had all been about 7 hours, so that seemed about right !!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.