Fink for Outlaw 2012

All training together! :-)

301 to 320 of 1,280 messages
IronCat5    pirate
23/10/2011 at 21:03

I have been wondering the same with regard to my running. Did my first marathon yesterday, and wanted to keep the running fitness up over the winter to get a good HM time, and put a dent in Fink.

However I think it will be a trial to do so, and I know I can cut back on the running to develop the cycling, and put some time aside for R&R and family.

I've certainly had enough of long runs for the moment. The XC season starts next weekend, so an hour at race pace every 2 weeks will be a great change. And there is the small matter of the Ballbuster.

Like DK though I am concerned about putting a load of weight back on. I struggled to do so last week whilst carb loading, but I'm sure it will begin to creep up..

TR
23/10/2011 at 21:06
O.rangeCannon - you have a coach  ?.................and I had you down as being out of the same (not bad for a numpty) mould as me ..................another shattered illusion !
O.rangeCannon (kona-7)    pirate
23/10/2011 at 22:02

only started about April last year, (buy a set of deep section wheels or get a coach for a year)

I was a bit shocked by the inc bike volume, but a 5 h ride feels normal now.........

23/10/2011 at 22:42
AH and OC, thanks for all your input. That really does make sense. And I'm learning an awful lot. Kind of hope I can remember it to put into practice. Thanks.
TR
23/10/2011 at 23:16
OC - i'm sure it'll do you the power of good, esp if the bike volume shocked you. I still find a 3hr ride a long way myself.
O.rangeCannon (kona-7)    pirate
24/10/2011 at 09:25
If you need a bit of 1:1 support/a way of asking stupid questions to one person rather than the whole forum, have a look at the mentors thread.
I found that really useful for my first year.

Note- find someone with similar background if possible- will make any help way more relevant/ appropriate. Ie I have no concept of what it's like at the back of the pack, and what it's like still going after 16 hrs
Orca    pirate
24/10/2011 at 09:57

Have we been spammed???

Quick question for those who have done multiple IMs. How do you get the motivation back year after year. I'm not scheduled to start training properly for another month and am just ticking over at the moment but even at that, I'm struggling with motivation. I did nothing over the weekend ( and it wasn't because I had loads of other stuff on, I just CBA) so I figured I would be fresh for this morning's swim session. I felt like crap. No energy what so ever. I ended up leaving the session half way through (very rare for me, at least  in swimming ) as I felt I was doing more harm than good. Now I accept I might just be a little run down or coming down with something at the moment but I am worried about having the mojo to go for another 30 weeks when I start Fink again and would welcome some tips from those who do it year after year. .

24/10/2011 at 11:17

Orca - i am not one of those who have done multiple IM's - 2 so far, but I am beginning to look ahead, like you, and sometimes wonder if I will keep my motivation going in the months/years ahead.

My answer is to almost forget that I am IM training but just to carry on my training in the normal manner which has become part of the fabric of my life.  I cant imagine what i would do these days if I wasn't running and cycling in my spare time ( very little swimming ever happens in the Shady world!)

I look forward to the Sportives in the summer such as The Chiltern 100, Flat Out...' etc which I enjoy in their own right but which are obviously great for IM training.

I also have to choose events which motivate me such as Embrunman last year and challenge me as far as possible.

The day the training and Sportives all become a total drag is the day i know that i need to find something else.  But it might well be injury which stops my IM journey before I get fed up with it.....we'll see!       

24/10/2011 at 11:39
I've just posted on the Outlaw thread, but I don't think I'm going to be able to do the full IM in July
Up for relaying instead though
However, my IM plans are just delayed, not scrapped, so will continue to follow this thread with interest!
24/10/2011 at 12:49
Not on Draft!!!! That's it I'm doing UKIM
24/10/2011 at 13:56

Orca - hmmm - I know what you mean. But  prob best not to even think about it all at the mo.

I'm determined to be mentally fresh and am not going to do IM training until after Christmas. i've got a base and I'm maintaining it at the mo (except swimming) so at the mo if ever I get a 'that would be good IM training' type thought I shove it away.  Meanwhile have instead decided to work on my running a bit, speed in particular. So it's feeling quite wierd to go out and do a threshold run or some hill work or something which seems really short - but gratifyingly hard. It'll help IM a bit but the main thing is it's still training but is completely diff to IM stuff.  I did the Grim duathlon yesterday, am goign to give a local 10 miler a bash in a couple of weeks and may do the Grim 9 miler in Dec just because it's completely different. And just a bit stupid.

Orca you're a great swimmer so it's not going to kill you not to swim for a bit. Give yourself a break! (might give me a chance to catch up with you, too )

bburn plO.dder    pirate
24/10/2011 at 14:07

A quiet week for me last week, 5 hours, 3 swims, 2 bikes and just 1 run, nothing longer than an hour. 

When I checked back the previous 5 weeks had all been about 7 hours, so that seemed about right !!

24/10/2011 at 15:22

Also Orca, if, when the Time To Train arrives - or during the training - you feel demotivated, just remember how brilliant Regensburg was before, during and after and that to feel that good again, you've got to train.And if you DO train, you'll feel fab again and it will all be MARvellous!

Orca    pirate
24/10/2011 at 15:47

Thanks Hen for the motivation. I think the secret to Ironman motivation is to keep AH on speed dial

I start back running this week, first time in 6 weeks. Rather scary! Just planning 2-3 easy runs this week to reintroduce the concept to the body.

Decided to try something new so have signed up with local sub aqua club as I've wanted to get my diving licence for ages. Yay! Another sport I can spend a small (or not so small) fortune on. However I was a bit worried about the medical as I do have mild asthma but the doctor passed me so very happy about that. Last week was my first night of training. I'd forgotten what it was like to be cold in a pool!

24/10/2011 at 16:44

OK. I'm in!

I have caught up on the posts to date, already learnt loads. The volume is my main concern. I work a 10 day shift pattern which obviously doesn't match weekly schedules, but I'll adapt. Will be ordering FINK for November bedside reading and inspiration.

I'm doing Dublin marathon this weekend so had planned a few weeks recovery to forget any training plan for a while. It  will be the cycling that I need to put in most effort. Hope to include some training by regular cycle commuting (when the spring comes!) This will be my first (and last?) go at the full distance with 2 HIM in the last 3 years. I think I'm capable of <15hrs but finishing will be great.

I had thought that I'd wait and stick closely to a 20 week plan, as I know it will get difficult to maintain the enthusiasm. Luckily , as pointed out earlier in this thread, being my first attempt I have the fear factor to push me out the door! Having found this thread I'll go with the 5 Dec start date to start the "journey".

Have thought about Marazion Miiddle distance as a "warm up". A sea swim, so not quite the same as Outlaw, but will give some "race day" confidence. Not sure when entry opens.

Can't promise to post too frequently, but I'll catch up.

24/10/2011 at 17:00
Are you another member from the Shire, Floreat?
Orca    pirate
24/10/2011 at 18:13
Good Luck in Dublin Floreat. I had a great race there last year setting a 20 minute PB but we had super conditions and great crowd support. Hope you have the same on Monday.
IronCat5    pirate
24/10/2011 at 18:42

Welcome aboard Floreat.

A lot of runners recommend a 10 day or 2 week cycle.

24/10/2011 at 18:46
I'm renaming AH as Mother Hen for all the parental style advice she is handing out on this thread...
Running Postie    pirate
24/10/2011 at 18:57

ok first day of the Fink plan, it feels totally different to think in time, not miles, it's gonna take some getting used to.

OC - About junk miles, I junk mile every day, I power walk at work between 7 and 9 miles a day and don't count it as training, it's just my basic aerobic fitness. I plan to carry on as a little bit extra isn't going to hurt. So if you bike to work regulary then why change?

Cat- I did a marathon 2 weeks ago, although it would be nice to keep the distance up, I am really fed up of just running. I reckon if I plan in a 13 mile run every other week or so, until the Fink plan catches up, then that and the bike training should still keep me up there. (I am doing Stamford 30k race in Feb) so fingers crossed.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.