Fink for Outlaw 2012

All training together! :-)

361 to 380 of 1,313 messages
30/10/2011 at 05:25

The ready salted crisps were the best thing in the world after 20 miles fo the run.....I still can't stand the sight of High 5 products though

30/10/2011 at 10:09
There were toilets at the turnaround on the run course at the town hall and ones at the far end of the lake in 2010, whether there were additional ones in 2011 I don't know...
Running Postie    pirate
30/10/2011 at 17:54
I can't remeber seeing toilets out by the lake. I O.D on the berry hi 5 gels, they were very nice, as for the jaffa cakes, I gave them a miss as they were melting in the heat this year. There was oranges too,i f I remeber.
Iron Muffin    pirate
30/10/2011 at 18:45

I had a really usful bike session today. An expereinced rider toook me out and taught me loads about cornering and descending. 

I can reccomend this to anyone eles new to biking as it has made me feel more confident and I am sure will help a lot . I cant afford to waste any energy braking too much and certainly dont fancy falling off.

31/10/2011 at 07:57
OMG I just entered myself and neighbour as a relay team. I am doing swim and run parts.
I blame Happychap but am now excited and nervous at the same time.
I haven't run a full marathon since 1997, but hope to stay in one piece and enjoy the day.
Trogs    pirate
31/10/2011 at 08:53

Nice one Steady

That Happychap has a lot to answer for

OrangeCannon kona-4    pirate
31/10/2011 at 13:28

Lanza week 3 training done
Run focused week with a big bike tacked on on sunday.
Also got to my tri club's swim for the first time ever.

My program does not seem to include rest weeks.....  so I have 2 big weeks to come, getting in volume / base before the white stuff hits

31/10/2011 at 13:41

Muffin Top - great advice re bike skills training.

Re HR training - I confess I didn't read that MAffetone article in depth but it might be worth saying again (quite a bit about it a few pages back) that working out your max HR from a formula doesn't work.  We're all so different.  The classic 220 minus your age formula only works for about 30% of the population so could have you working at the wrong level, no matter how many 'add 5 beats' for this or 'take 5 beats away for that' there are to refine it. Can't see how starting at 180 makes it any better.

My max is 196 (or was when i tested it 2 years ago) but 220 minus my age would have me assuming a max of 181!

Good way to do it is (and I think Fink suggests this) go and run a 5k hard and in the last k your HR will be maxed out.  It's not pleasant, but it's much more accurate. Great excuse to do a Park Run. There are other ways such as running hard uphill for 2 mins three times and you'll max out in the last one. There are loads of ways to test it... such a shame to base all your IM training on zones that are wrong!

<Climbs off soap box>

AndyB99    pirate
31/10/2011 at 16:27
I totally agree AH......and i wasnt suggesting you shouldnt test out and get your HR properly...the article and the reason i posted was simply to show people the importance of doing a proper base training period...something i didnt do...and also to maybe give people something else to focus on instead of just doing rinse repeats of the first session on the fink plan....once you sign up your itching to get going..and now is a great time to get a decent base built.

just a starting point and a good articale to start on to get your base and how important that is
31/10/2011 at 19:57

Good for you, Steady!

Bike skills seem such a good idea. Though it would help if I knew someone who cycled! 

IronCat5    pirate
31/10/2011 at 21:15

I'm going to bring this back up again.....Fink's swim sessions!

The base phase for Comptetitive/Intermediate have 2 x 1hr sessions per week, each a 2500m set. Every 10 weeks he adds on another 500m in within the same hour.

I swam 1900m today (first time!) in 50 odd minutes. It is unlikely that I can do a proper 2500m set in 1hour. When I have done a proper 1600m set it takes an hour including drill, main set etc.

What was the general concensus on these sessions? Fink it and go by time, or put in the effort and do the distance. It's all about the bike right?

Sits back and watches the worms escape the can....

AndyB99    pirate
01/11/2011 at 07:55
Hey Cat...i've done 2 ironman races....and its 1-1 at the moment....i've never ever ever ever followed a fink swim session.
in the winter i go the pool, do drills or swim a mile...takes me about 42 minutes in a pool. in the spring i start ow swimming and just go by how i feel. before the first race i had never swam more than a mile....swam a 1.35.. (dnf'd 11 miles into the run) for the second race the longest swim i'd done was 2000m at Bala (which was horrendous)...swam a 1.34 at IMUK (finished this one in case you wondered )
anyway what i'm saying is....the swim is the easy bit.....it is all about the bike.
if you can stick to fink plans i guess they wont do any harm...in fact it will give you a great swim split....but if not dont worry too much about it.
01/11/2011 at 08:13

That reassuring Andy!

What are peoples thoughts on a half iron man in preperation for outlaw. Fink reccomends one about 8 weeks out. UK options seem to be Marshman and Swashbuckler? Read a lot about Swashbuckler but cant seem to find much on the marshman. Marshman is a bit cheaper which is appealing but wonder what thoughts people had?

01/11/2011 at 08:21

Cat - might depend on how good a swimmer you are.  If you can swim well, it's not such a worry, as Andy says. But if  you're not a good swimmer, you've got to get the swim training in because it's a long way you don't want to start the bike knackered.  However, bashing out the miles with poor form is only going to make you a fit crap swimmer - who will still use more energy than they need to during the race. I'd say crap swimmers need to be working on their stroke now and ignoring a plan.  They could use the plans as a guide but much more important would be having a few sessions with a coach so you know what you need to be working on.

Swimming is the one tri discipline you can safely go over distance in before The Day and at some stage you're going to want to swim the full distance, poss more than once. However long it takes you you're going to need to swim long enough to do that. But there's plenty of time for that. 

So if you can swim - it won't do you any harm to do Fink's sets, even if takes you longer than the time he suggests.  (As long as you don't die of boredom in these early days... plenty of time for that next spring! ) But if you're a weak swimmer, focus on technique technique technique.  Up to a point, in swimming you get faster by having better technique - not more fitness.

Edited: 01/11/2011 at 08:23
01/11/2011 at 08:29

Cat - have just looked at your times. If you're an alright swimmer you probably will get fitter and manage 2500 in an hour, although doing drills slows you down.  You could invest in some fins for drills.  They work your legs quite hard but they give you enough propulsion to stop you sinking while you focus on arm work.

AJ - haven't done Marshman but lots of people like it. It's very flat I think which can make it very exposed on a windy day. I've done Swash twice and it's a great race run by lovely people. Very first timer friendly. The thing about the Swash is that you need to be an ok swimmer because the swim is tidal. I think up until two years ago the tides played ball and the race happened at slack tide so it was all very benign. However, the last two races have been quite 'lively', tide-wise and this year they enforced the swim cut off (60 mins I think).

01/11/2011 at 08:32
So sorry - I do bang on, don't I? Sorry if I sound bossy. (I am bossy ).
Cheerful Dave    pirate
01/11/2011 at 08:57
AJ, a few of us did the Swash before Outlaw this year (although Outlaw was a few weeks later than it is next year).  Marshman is a smaller race but well organised I believe.  Depending on the current on the day, the Swash swim is about as far removed from the Outlaw swim as it's possible to get short of a sea swim.  The bike course has a similar profile to Outlaw and the run's not a bad course either, although a bit long at 14 miles (bike course is short).
bburn plO.dder    pirate
01/11/2011 at 08:59

At the moment, my swim sessions each week are a one-to-one lesson with a coach, and then an hour by myself practising what I've been taught. It's slow progress.

I have to say though, the coach I have been using is great, we do lots of technique work, and then the rest of the lesson is him telling me to "stop moaning, yes it is hard, get on with it!!" Which is just what I need

IronCat5    pirate
01/11/2011 at 09:25

Thanks Andy and Mother Hen . My Oly swim time was 33min, so never going to set the world on fire; I am as you put it a fit, crap swimmer.

I have some fins, and they do give the legs a workout. My calves know they've been used. And I'm fully aware it's about technique. The slower I swim the faster I get.

I'll sort out some coaching.

AJ - I'm signing up for the Marshman. A flat possibly windy course that is a good excuse to try and stay aero for the whole bike. The Swash swim cut-off is what put me of Swash. Marshman is the BH weekend too.

01/11/2011 at 11:38
Technique work's bloody hard work, too, isn't it? Knackering.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.