Run 0:15 Z2

Swim #2

Bike 0:30 Z1 (100+ RPM)

Run 0:30 Z2

Bike 1:00 Z2

Run 0:45 Z1to Z2

6:00

12/10/2011 at 10:24
Nope, didn't work... will try another way...
12/10/2011 at 10:29

Competitive Programme (Long one)

Week 1

Monday - rest

Tuesday - swim #1, run 0:30 hrs in zone 2

Wednesday - Bike 0:30 zone 2 quick change to run 0:15 zone 2

Thursday - swim #2, bike 0:30 zone 1

Friday - run 0:30 zone 2

Saturday  - bike 1:00 zone 2

Sunday - run 0:45 zone 1-2

Total: 6 hours

Swim sessions:

1. 300 wu, 8x50dr, 12 x 100 @ 20sec, 8x50dr, 200 cd
  2. 300 wu, 8x50dr, 3 x 125 @ 20sec, 2x175 @ 30sec, 3x 125 @ 20 sec, 8x50dr, 200 cd
MovingAlong    pirate
12/10/2011 at 10:30
Hi,

Cracking idea for a thread and count me in. Although I'm still trying to work out if I can balance other things in my life and train for the full distance - so I'm holding off actually entering whilst I see how things pan out.

But I will be there doing the training from 5th December. Bought the book, read most of it, still a couple of chapters at the end to go.
12/10/2011 at 10:36

Andy - I have the plan in a table format in word (cos I'm not so techinical), but it doesn't paste straighting into these text boxes. Is there a way of posting the xl format? Otherwise I'll just stick to typing it out.

To those doing the 'Just finish' and 'Intermediate' Just shout about which programme you want - or type it in yourself 

12/10/2011 at 10:59

I'm following the intermediate plan Chilibean. 

I think Schmunks found a way of doing an XL screen shot on the kit thread which worked well.  Might be worth getting in touch to ask.

12/10/2011 at 11:07

Good luck to all Finkers! Great idea to try to train together.

I used Fink in principle for my first IM (Outlaw 2010), but the part I stuck to most closely was the long ride, as VLM training had running sorted. Marathon training isn't the perfect partner to IM training, esp if running is already your strongest discipline, but it can become a bit of a habit.

The general consensus was that the swims are way too long - if you're a slow swimmer like me, you could be spending   90 mins on a session, which is ridiculous (and boring).

When do you start?

12/10/2011 at 13:02

Haven't entered the Outlaw yet but planning on following Finks Just Finish plan to try and get my training a bit more consistent than it has been this year. Do need to work on my cycling more so even if I don't end up racing next year any improvement on the bike will be a big help.

Did follow the intermediate plan last year until injury scuppered me but it got me through Bala.

12/10/2011 at 13:41

Did someone call for me?

I cut and paste from .xls into Paint, save as a .png then upload a a photo

May work with MSWord too but have not tried it.

Iron M.andel    pirate
12/10/2011 at 14:02

Would agree with joddly - the swims are long (and get longer too).  I finished them all for about the first 20 weeks but was spending a good 90 mins on them and I'm a fairly decent swimmer (sub1.10 at IMR this year).  I ended up dropping some of the drills towards the end and focussing on the distance.  While it's good to get a few 90 min swims udner your belt (and doing them 3 times a week definitely gave me confidence), I wouldn't do them again but would base more on time, only keeping a few longer swims in the plan.

Also re the sessions order, don't feel you have to stick to the order throughout the week guys.  Fink puts long bike and run at weekend which a lot of other people don't recommend as you're too beat after the long bike to do the long run properly.  I found doing long run on a Wed after work worked really well (the longest it got was 3 hours but by that time it was in the summer and lovely long cool nights had arrived).  This meant I could do long bike on Sat and treat Sunday as a proper rest day (good for making sure you don't neglect loved ones!)

Basically as long as you get the sessions in, it doesn't matter which days you do them.

Also another bit of advice - if you think you have enough time, do the Intermediate rather than the Beginner one.  There's not that much between them at the beginning and it always gives you a bit of leeway if you miss the odd session (as you;d still be doing more than beginner one).  

12/10/2011 at 14:39

Chilli I am going to start off on Intermediate and then at 10 weeks make a decision to carry on or drop down to just finish.

Thanks for the tips Iron Mandel, these nuggets of wisdom are sure to help.

12/10/2011 at 15:18

Hi, I'm new here.

Mind if I join in?

Only done sprints before but fancy Outlaw next year.  Have the fink book and am currently up to week 8 as I wanted to see if I could cope with the training load.

I have a week in January and March where I will not be able to train so I am planning on re starting week 1 on 21st November and having those two weeks off.

12/10/2011 at 15:21

Yes, it works with MSWord Click on image to enlarge
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/200439/Gallery/Test.PNG

Edited: 12/10/2011 at 15:22
12/10/2011 at 15:23

So

1. Write in Word
  2. Copy and paste into Paint
  3. Save as .png
  4. Upload as a photo
12/10/2011 at 15:28

I've entered the Outlaw and I've got my Fink plan set up and ready to go.

My problem is I've worked out my training zones, but I can't get anywhere near them on the bike.

I was doing mile hill repeats yesterday and blowing hard but barely got out of zone 1.

When I'm just cycling, taking it easy, my HR is about 100-110bpm. Pushing it 120-130. I find it hard to get much above that and then for balls out 10 mile TT I still only averaged 142 bpm.

There is no way I can see myself  holding Zone 2 (136-142bpm) for 1 hour (week 1, day 6) , nevermind 2:30  (week 7, day 6)

Any suggestions..................please.

I've got 7 weeks to to sort it out.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited: 12/10/2011 at 15:29
12/10/2011 at 16:14

marshallini - how are you working out your training zone?  I think that running heart rates tend to be higher than bike so you might have a different zone for biking to running. But someone more expert will hopefully come along soon.

Mandel - thats for that cos I was wondering about doing the long run mid week too, especially as I bike to work every day otherwise I'd never get a complete day off.  Hoping to incorporate commuting time into some training time.

12/10/2011 at 18:03
Dam I thought we weren't starting till December? Can I still finish my third Doughnut first?
Like the new thread Chilli
Edited: 12/10/2011 at 18:06
12/10/2011 at 18:21
Chilli that marathon you did the bloke who finished third cheated, he jumped on a bus at 20 miles and got of near the finish and waited till first two runners ran past then rejoined the race. So you finished 907
Running Postie    pirate
12/10/2011 at 18:32
marshallini wrote (see)

I've entered the Outlaw and I've got my Fink plan set up and ready to go.

My problem is I've worked out my training zones, but I can't get anywhere near them on the bike.

I was doing mile hill repeats yesterday and blowing hard but barely got out of zone 1.

When I'm just cycling, taking it easy, my HR is about 100-110bpm. Pushing it 120-130. I find it hard to get much above that and then for balls out 10 mile TT I still only averaged 142 bpm.

There is no way I can see myself  holding Zone 2 (136-142bpm) for 1 hour (week 1, day 6) , nevermind 2:30  (week 7, day 6)

Any suggestions..................please.

I've got 7 weeks to to sort it out.

Cheers,

Chris.

If you having real trouble with HR zones then my advice (I am qualified as a personel trainer, just as a hobby) is used the Percieved rate of exertion scale, RPE1 =sedate stroll pace up to RPE 10+ maxed out pace couldn't go any paster and want to die pace.

zone 4= rpe 9

zone 3= rpe 8

zone 2=rpe 6/7

zone 1= rpe 5/6

I hope this is of help.

I have had a look at the fink plan and it does look good, as long as you have the time! IronHolgs on his blog also added 2 strength/core session, I would definately recommend this, as you will benefit when you start getting tired on race day.

Im gonna pop in on the thread as well, as I have the bike leg of a relay,if thats o.k?!

12/10/2011 at 18:48

I used the intermediate FInk program for Outlaw last year with the following basic adaptions:

- I may not be a fast swimmer but I'm quite happy with it so I ignored all the swim sets and went to myclub session on a Thursday night as my only swim a week up until the beginning of April when I added in an OW swim on a Saturday morning (these were my longer swims rather than the club set).

- I dropped the Friday run and replaced it with a spin class as I'm a runner so wanted to work more on the bike. Towards the last 4-6 weeks I stopped going to this.

- I did a two 100 mile bike rides but otherwise stuck to the suggested times so my 5:30 rides had me doing around 80M, which are the bread and butter of ironman training

Although having the long bike on saturday means you have tired legs for your run on sunday, this gives you an idea of what it's like to do long runs tired so I think it's the best way to do it - you are looking for time on your feet on the run, not distance.

This year for Henley, I marathon trained up to the end of May with a spin class and medium length ride, three runs and a swim per week. After the marathon I changed to a combination of 'just finish' fink plan (for the weekdays, but again ignoring the swim sets) and intermediate fink plan for the weekend sessions and raced a PB by just under 45 minutes.

21 to 40 of 1,277 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.