Fink for Outlaw 2012

All training together! :-)

381 to 400 of 1,277 messages
02/11/2011 at 13:44

Beaver an option but a little later than others. I think I am going to go for Swashbuckler as marshman a little too far from the midlands as I have to work bank holiday monday (I know!)

Been building up the training over last few weeks and just concentrating on getting all three disciplines in reasonable shape before embarking on the FINk 'journey'!

bburn plO.dder    pirate
02/11/2011 at 18:27
Marshman is too far for me too. I'll check out the Beaver!! That sounds so wrong!!!!!

I'm having a massive attack of cba this week. I've done nothing since Monday, I even had a couple of hours at home alone today and spent them sat on sofa drinking brews and watching tele!!!! I've promised myself I'll be good tomorrow....
bburn plO.dder    pirate
02/11/2011 at 18:36
Well done on Dublin Floreat, sounds like you stormed it!
VT'd    pirate
02/11/2011 at 19:09

I just did Dublin Marathon on Monday, so apart from being on the bevvy for the rest of this week, I am working overseas from Saturday for a week or so.  My Outlaw training will start when I get home.

I'll need a sighter closer to home, but the lack of half distances around that time might leave me with limited options.

Anyone have advice on tackling this in May as a training block? 

http://www.gatewayironchallenge.com/

Following Fink to the letter is looking to be hit and miss for me due to the other things I want  to be doing this winter.   I want to try XC on top of the schedule.  Is there scope to fit in that sort of training and weekend racing?

Edited to say well done Floreat, I hadn't read that ealier.  My time was a tad disappointing at 4.10, but I offer no excuse, it is what it is.

Edited: 02/11/2011 at 19:12
IronCat5    pirate
02/11/2011 at 19:21

Hi VT'd.

I'll be racing XC over the winter months to mix things up a bit.I'm also going to be racing the Wokingham HM. The intermediate plan peaks at a long run of 1:30 (bar a single 2) in the first 20 weeks,so I'll still need to put in some serious (thinking 16 milers) to get into shape for the HM.

Having just looked at the running, Fink seems to be very very light on the long runs. A single 3:00 before the big day??

I guess the assumption is you can walk it if need be?

bburn plO.dder    pirate
02/11/2011 at 20:38
Well done in Dublin VT'd, 4.10 beats my time there last year.

I agree that the running looks a bit light on Fink, but maybe that's cos I'm used to mara training. I was hoping to do Manchester mara in April, but I have no real plan on how to incorporate it into Fink. I was sort of thinking of running longer than the schedule suggests, and hoping for the best
OrangeCannon kona-6    pirate
02/11/2011 at 22:09

ShuffleB is doing the beaver, (already entered I think) and I'll be there to support.....

I htink its about 4 weeks ahead and thats an ideal gap

I think thier t-shirts say something like 'i licked the beaver'  but that might be an urban myth

Edited: 02/11/2011 at 22:11
Trogs    pirate
03/11/2011 at 00:02
bburn plodder wrote (see)
I agree that the running looks a bit light on Fink, but maybe that's cos I'm used to mara training.

Run training for an ironman bears absolutely no resemblance or relation to training for a standalone marathon.

M...eldy    pirate
03/11/2011 at 03:03
What she says ... 3 hours will be plenty IMO  
03/11/2011 at 05:12
1hr is too much in your opinion,
Edited: 03/11/2011 at 05:12
M...eldy    pirate
03/11/2011 at 05:15
Fur Cough and go to work !
03/11/2011 at 05:20
Ok you can go home now.
M...eldy    pirate
03/11/2011 at 05:21
30 mins and counting
03/11/2011 at 07:01

Started my core stability class last night. It was good and I realise now how weak my core muscles are.  Its on for 6 weeks so I hope to notice a difference at the end.  I can't seem to engage my core muscles without holding my breath - its very odd.   I've got all the dates for my endless pool swimming sessions too now so very excited. I've booked a block of 10 spreading over to next March so I will be a swim godess indeed by then. (thinks positive).  I've looked back at the swim results for the Vit last year and indeed I wasn't the slowest so thanks to Cat and Hen for the vote of confidence.

03/11/2011 at 10:06

getting through Fink  quite quickly...inspired last night by his 1% improvement theory.

Also, I'm considering creating my own middle distance event with a "car park" style transition. I think there's a thread where groups do these "free" events. But they appear to have "seasoned"/faster? entrants. The idea seems to serve the purpose for assessing distance, nutrition and kit. But probably without the pre-event excitement?

Might need to make myself a T shirt, and through a bottle of water, banana and a cereal bar into a bag....

anyone else done similar? (......not so much the goody bag!)

03/11/2011 at 13:15
Cat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Having just looked at the running, Fink seems to be very very light on the long runs. A single 3:00 before the big day??

As Meldy and Trogs said, you just don't need to do as much huge running with an IM prog.  Running really wrecks your legs - something that really sunk home when IM training and the long rides started to kick in. Don't be tempted to do much more than the prog says, even if you're a great runner. If you're not strong enough on the bike you'll be too knackered to do a good run anyway.

It's hard to fit in mara training without compromising your long bikes etc, which is why so many IM progs say don't do it. But plenty of people do around here.  So much depends on the individual.

03/11/2011 at 13:23
Long runs 4 me have always been around 2 hours and i haveyet to walk (apart from the feed stations) and usually go sub 4 on the run a really useful sesh is a longish run (hour+)off the long ride
03/11/2011 at 15:28
Interesting tip there RBM, I might try some of those longer bricks. I do usually run well off the bike though.
AndyB99    pirate
03/11/2011 at 22:17
long run for me were 10k..........then the run took me 6 hours on the day....lol
06/11/2011 at 21:44

Evening! Thought I'd just repost these plans. Guess we are getting closer to the start date. I think the general consensus is to begin two weeks early to allow for *life* getting in the way. So that means we begin Monday 21st November.

(I say we, but I have to confess that I'm just going to be doing the marathon leg as part of a team.... can't wait . But I will be there to cheer everyone on.)

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.