Fink for Outlaw 2012

All training together! :-)

41 to 60 of 1,280 messages
12/10/2011 at 18:49
ps I work off rate of perceived effort, not heart rate...
Darkness    pirate
12/10/2011 at 19:04
I can't recall if it is the Fink or Friel book, but one of them suggests a 10 to 15 bpm difference between running and cycling heart rate. As you weight is supported on the bike it is normal for cycling heart rates to be lower.

I targeted about 135 on the bike and 145 on the run at IMW.

12/10/2011 at 19:13

yes it does say about adapting from run to bike in the Fink book in the section which covers heart rates, it is quite different

I agree with which witch as an ultra runner to run on tired legs will train your body to cope with this you cant miss the bike on the day and you will be knackered so teach yourself both physically and mentally to cope with this.

12/10/2011 at 19:20
I'm in for this

Are we definitely aiming for Dec 5th start, or going earlier as suggested?

*bounce bounce bounce*
Doner Kebab    pirate
12/10/2011 at 19:34

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/606362/Gallery/fink_hr_zones.jpg

hi guys, heres my zones, many recommend a 5% difference, if you are lucky/unlucky enough to be as old/unfit as me and your zones are similar i saved you the effort of some math  

i will be following a sort of fink plan albeit tailored to my weaknesses which will probably mean ill be doing extra everything. - on the plus side i started off serious swimming today with a 4050m swim in 1.41 so at least i can get into the plan with confidence i can do the distance - not so long ago i was in the Cr@pswimmers thread

hope to see everyone at the finish line come july 1st

Darkness    pirate
12/10/2011 at 19:46
On the long run after the long ride debate, I tried to avoid this as I didn't / don't have a good running base and am prone to picking up running injuries easily. Running on tired legs just increases the risk of injury. I tended to do long run Friday before work, swim Saturday and long ride Sunday.
12/10/2011 at 20:16

Great thread Chilli for my first IM I releigiously followed Fink 10 weeks of the get round and then switched to intermediate when I realised I had pitched myself to low and I cruised the first IMUK IN 13:36 and had a whale of  a time I now use a personalised version of the competative and have got my best time down to 11:12

Three points I found I am  a OK ish swimmmer 1:12 at IMW this year, there is far to much swimming in this programme unless you are a fish you will never finish a set in the alloted time I just did as much as I could in the allotted time. I now only swim twice a week for an hour a piece until 7 weeks out then do 3 lots nearly all open water I hate pools

with the time gained from binning a swim set I chuck in another bike, bike fitness really is the key to cracking this beastie

I always did my long ride on the sunday and long run midweek the idea is to recover from each sessoin before the next comes along as the volume builds this becomes really important

No ironman for me next year but I plan to be handing you all drinks at the pirate feed station so I will enjoy reading your jorneys on this thread

M...eldy    pirate
12/10/2011 at 20:35
Dont forget to incorporate the winterswim league into training!
12/10/2011 at 20:38
When does Winterswim start?
M...eldy    pirate
12/10/2011 at 20:48
Errrrr  .. in the winter   

November ish I think
12/10/2011 at 20:50
M...eldy    pirate
12/10/2011 at 20:50
Dont forget to incorporate the winterswim league into training!
M...eldy    pirate
12/10/2011 at 20:51
12/10/2011 at 20:51
*smacks Melds reset button*
IronCat5    pirate
12/10/2011 at 21:00

Wow Dk. My Z2 finishes at 173bpm!

My plan is to run with the club Tuesdays,race XC with them Sundays in the winter and tag some slow mileage on afterwards. I'll find a Tri club or swim club for Thursday eve, and use their recommended swim sets for the Tue/Fri.

I've already done some long runs after the long bike. It does make it harder, but that's more like real life that way.

12/10/2011 at 21:08

I'm up for this whole fink malarky....but worried about being able to fit all the training in, and I've had two successful years of fitting in 5 runs per weeks through winter & spring.

I'm planning on incorporating a marathon training plan throughout the spring anyway, but I'm also got a programme for the gym to improve my core strength (which is spectacularly cr*p).

Currently already doing a long mid-week bike (45m) & Sunday long run, just to show myself I can fit them in.  Enjoying an hour pool swim each week as well.

I won't be able to start fink until boxing day as the xmas period is pretty much a write off for me (working in retail) but I always run boxing day morning as the start to my 'new year' campaign.  But I'll work hard to catch up to the rest of you. 

Sort of looking forward to it.  Sort of.

12/10/2011 at 21:16

Some great advice on here already - thanks everyone.

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and buying some aero bars to learn how to use them now before the miles start clocking up. Is there anything I should be looking for please anyone cos there are loads at all sorts of prices.  Thankyou.

IronCat5    pirate
12/10/2011 at 21:22

I bought some cheap ones from Ribble. Hindsight is 20/20!

Go back to the place that did your fitting, and get what they recommend, and get the bike set up for it. I have had a good attempt, but couldn't get much power in to wind at Dorney the other week. Saddle kept digging in where it shouldn't .

12/10/2011 at 21:32
Thanks Cat - I'm having another bike fit next month when my saddle comes into stock so I thought I'd get them fitted at the same time.  But its at the Specialized concept store and didn't see a range of clip on bars there. They suggested I buy some elsewhere and take them with me.
IronCat5    pirate
12/10/2011 at 21:39
Great! I've heard good things about Profile T1 or T2 (depending on whether you want ski or S-bend). YMMV!
41 to 60 of 1,280 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.