Fink for outlaw 2013

1,981 to 2,000 of 3,094 messages
seren nos    pirate
18/05/2013 at 18:23

long bike ride today..started the route by going west over the mountains.........the bwlch wasn't so bad from thwe other side even though its over 500m......lots of hills out.got carried away when i met up with some cyclist and di some miles with them......

found myself 60 miles into the ride and at Pont Abraham..which is where the M4 end

had a bit of a panic depresed moment.phoned hubby to ask him not to drink and stay on standby.....

had some food and cycled back with the benefit of the wind and a flatter/ underlating route.and manage to do the whole lot feeling strong at the end.......117 miles done at a fair pace for me.......

so glad there wasn't an option to bail at 60 or I would have taken it and felt totally demoralised....

seren nos    pirate
18/05/2013 at 18:26

a lot of the unofficial ironman distances aren#t run under BTF rules and so can make their own rules.......

I know the one is scotland last week was only 10 degrees and went ahead and allowed booties etc........

Enduroman will allow booties but it is a shallow lake and will be fine in a fortnight.....the kids are swimming in their already in swim suits.....

for those strugglingling..just give yourself time to get used to it prior to the race...if you are still struggling then do breast stroke.....anything to get you moving and buy yourself time.and double swim hats

seren nos    pirate
18/05/2013 at 19:32

just realised the bwlch is 545m and we turned from the summit on a different road that went even higher.......not sure how haqndy that was for outlaw training

18/05/2013 at 21:45

Guys stop panicking about the swim! The water is unseasonably cold at the moment if you are having difficulties do more! Its still a long time till outlaw to get the experirnce and endurance in the weathers perking up temps will come up and it will get easier 

Mr StOat    pirate
19/05/2013 at 05:36

Just getting geared up for my first century.

Im in awe of everyone's training, I've managed bugger all for weeks. I need my head sorting out

I wonder if you can condense fink into 6 weeks

seren nos    pirate
19/05/2013 at 07:12

Matt.........I have done hardly anything since the DIY weekend.....yesterday was me kickstarting my training back into focus..........

so i am all dressed up for a run...going to run the 7 miles ( slowly) to the start of my club race and then i will walk to my marshalling point........luckily my marshalling point is not on the top of the mountain...just one of the first levels up.....

OW swimming in the river tomorrow morning....

have a great ride today.........i was out so long yesterday .luckily my OH is understanding about the demands and made everyone dinner whilst i was out and did the school visit and the hockey club taxiing twice......and sorted out the washing :0

his turn to race today whilst i marshall

The Evil Pixie    pirate
19/05/2013 at 11:55

just back from long ride

drank lots more

felt loads better but had to stop for a wee 3 times!

also tonnes of flies had to stop to get one out of my hat

19/05/2013 at 12:02

Have sacrificed my long bike ride and just done 4th open water swim in a week. breathing still raspy and out of breath, did a 750m loop but 90% breaststroke. Took 23mins. If I can speed the breaststoke up I might dip in under the hour for outlaw half but the full is obviously a problem.

Tomorrow I shall swim in wetsuit in (heated) outdoor pool and see if thats ok and wednesday I'm going to do 750m loop again alternating 30 strokes of fc and bs

19/05/2013 at 12:08

Have been hit with a horrible lurgy that has put me off training since Tuesday. I can barely walk the length of myself at the moment, so odds are I'll have lost a week of training just when it's most important! Having a crisis of confidence at the moment 

19/05/2013 at 12:49

Les boules - if you've been training consistently and getting the long sessions in until now the week off won't do you any harm, in fact you'll come back all refreshed ready to push the limits for the final few weeks!

19/05/2013 at 12:59

Thanks LMH, I hope so. Training has been okay up to now. Running has been hit by achilles problems but am trying to cross train through it. Have managed about 3 cycles of 6hrs + with my longest ride of 90 miles a few weeks ago. Hate missing so much training though, and haven't managed to brave OW swimming yet. I'm dreading getting out into the OW

seren nos    pirate
19/05/2013 at 13:51

les boules.....think positively about open water.it really is magical once you relax and learn to enjoy it.........

SS.you seem to be really working on your OW.....like swimming it will get easier honest.......

19/05/2013 at 14:09

Cheers Seren. Sounds like your training is going well 

seren nos    pirate
19/05/2013 at 14:09

just getting back on course......I seem to need breaks.must be my age

The Evil Pixie    pirate
19/05/2013 at 14:30

How close to D day should I get my bike serviced?

Was thinking mid June so 2 wks out? Opinions?
Today was much better - have been looking at route and it was hillier than I though (2800ft climbing). My pace was a lot more consistent it looks although there are still moments of dead legs. Lost time with wee stops and all but 1 road crossing saw me waiting

Getting so much better with gears and "neck" a lot better. I was chatting to the butcher yesterday who is a keen cyclist and it seems I have my arms too fixed so today I tried to remember to have bent elbows and much better - no tears today!

My calves are tight now and my knees were sore towards the end. Any suggestions on how/if to take ibrufen on the bike?
Today I used High 5 Zero which I found easier to drink than sports drink, took a bottle of gel, 2 mini malt loafs and a 9bar. Gels OK but got fed up towards the end, malt loaf I know I'm fine with they just take space 9 bar was too chewy but nice!

So I need to think about fuelling on the day - if I drink zero but lest likely to drink sports drink I need to carry my own

19/05/2013 at 15:01

I had my bike serviced on Friday, so 2 weeks before the half. Haven't tried it yet though but it does look shiny clean

Thanks Seren. I am trying as the only other alternative is to pull out or miss the cut off and that would really p..s me off after all the hard work I've put in. It's so annoying, I get about 100m and am just out of breath, then the distances between being out of breath gets shorter and my breathing is really raspy

I also need more rest than fink allows and I'm sure its age My poor body wouldn't notice a 1 hour cut back week so I cut back by about 6 hours!!!

Britrisky    pirate
19/05/2013 at 15:39

Another century ride in the bag for me today - no wind today so a faster pace. All aero so had to stand and stretch back out a bit on the way back.

I seem to take loads of food compared to others on here - 4 slices of malt loaf, 3 cereal bars (Eat Natural), one banana, one High5 gel (with caffeine) and two 750ml of High 5. I still get home starving!

Going to Manchester Velodrome next Sunday so an enforced cut back week next week for me  ...

Lost a bit of mojo last week when my long run was merely a hobble, but feel a bit better today - cut out a couple of sessions last week and feel better for it, I think.

19/05/2013 at 16:12

Les boules - with bike miles like that in the bank you'll be fine - you'll have plenty of time to do the run.

EP - It's not recommend to take ibuprofen during exercise - you'd be better off working out why things ache like that and eliminating the cause - whether poor position or fatigue - just like you've mostly fixed your neck ache by changing the position of your arms. How far did you ride today?

Britrisky - sounds like a great, confidence giving ride. If your system copes ok with the food then enjoy it!

Seren - you were putting in a mega amount of training - not surprised you needed a bit of a break to absorb it all.

seren nos    pirate
19/05/2013 at 16:55

yes LMH.......mainly on the bike.....I have to remmber the running....I want a PB at Outlaw.but i also have IMW in my sights as I cannot miss that bike cutoff again......

Britsky..great riding.those century rides do help with sorting out nutrition and giving the confidence.....

The Evil Pixie    pirate
19/05/2013 at 17:21

LMH only 70 but my excluding stops my pace was higher so it may have been I was working my legs more?

I kept my Garmin covered and just focused on riding as strong as I could, and working on the hills too.

Unlike last week I felt I could have carried on too which was good. The knees mainly ached on stop starting such as crossing roads and when doing the last couple of hills. Last week I finished on the verge of tears, my neck/back hurt my butt hurt and I was ready to quit. This week I had a lot less soreness all over so it's slowly coming together. Was going to head straight out (excuse of buying cream for hubby's pud) but got moaned at for being out when he wanted to get plants. So had to change and plant shop instead. Also unlike last week I'm less achy now and strangely although my knees ached on the bike they are better post ride (eg going up stairs) than last week?

Must be body adapting

I have a week inset, then visiting home and a week off. When off I'm aiming for 80+, not sure if I will get a century in or just a couple of 90s

1,981 to 2,000 of 3,094 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.