Fink for outlaw 2013

1,981 to 2,000 of 3,129 messages
seren nos yn canu    pirate
17/05/2013 at 20:12

had a crap crap day today....was all dressed up and out on the bike but didn't manage a quarter of a mile.....

but things will be different tomorrow......hubby has the boys all sorted and so i am all prepared for an early start.and will get a long bike in...will hopefully do over the 100 as its been a few weeks since my last one

Mr StOat    pirate
18/05/2013 at 07:02

I've got my first century ride tomorrow! Its quite a scary prospect riding 100 miles

The Evil Pixie    pirate
18/05/2013 at 07:12

just getting ready to head to the bog. drinking tea 1st, put contacts in then off.

Fell asleep on sofa at 8.30 last night!

18/05/2013 at 08:04

Morning guys...any tips on OW swimming in v cold water. I was fine last year (I think the coldest I swam in was about 13 degrees). I did my first last Monday and it was a little over 10 degrees and had a bit of a panic attack. Breathing was short and rapid, could not get my stroke going and ended up getting out after about 3 minutes.

I have the Slateman tomorrow which won't be much warmer, if at all, and I am stressing.

Any suggestions...anyone?

18/05/2013 at 08:43

Stanners  - I am doing the Slateman having gained a late entry only this week (numpty I'm full of good ideas). Along with many others I am also concerned about the same issues as you.

I have included below the guidlines / rules for OW  swimming, I don't think the organisers would contravene these rules, but it is set to be shown on the TV, so who knows.  

I have asked the organisers if the event would be run as duathlon should the water temp be below the recommended limit, they have not replied. Someone else has also enquired as to the current water temp... you guessed it no reply.

So I suppose looking at the guidlines if the temp is above 11c then we should be ok. Last year the length of the full Slateman swim was reduced to 750mts due to water temp. 

Hope this helps. Good luck !!      

Water Temperature Max. Distance 

13 c 2000m
12 c 1000m
11 c 500m
NB: Based on the above table the minimum temperature for a standard distance swim (1500m) is 12.5°c.
9.5 At temperatures less than 11°C it is recommended that no open water swimming take place. The above are based on water temperatures alone and assume that the wind chill factor is negligible. If wind chill is significant swim distances may be reduced at higher temperatures.

18/05/2013 at 09:07

More likely to have been cold water shock reflex than a panic attack. As long as the race is under BTF rules the above water temps should apply but if it's not it will be at the organisers discretion. Too late now but you can train yourself to overcome the effects of cold water shock. In the short term what may help a little is a neoprene cap - or at least two swim caps, understanding the cold water reflex and what is happening so that you don't continue to hyperventilate and progress to a panic attack and getting in to the water in time to overcome the cold water shock reaction before you start your swim. Good luck!

18/05/2013 at 11:11

Having the same problems - Just done my 3rd open water session and after 400m was in tears. How can I do 5 times that in 2 weeks?  and the full in 7 weeks. I go with a very positive attitude, do all the things I'm meant to, start ok and slow and it actually gets worse. Today felt dizzy and everything spinning a bit. Am going again tomorrow and giving up a long bike. No point practising the bike if I don't make the swim cut off

The Evil Pixie    pirate
18/05/2013 at 11:52

3rd OW here today 11.3 I wore sox and gloves + 2 hats (Blue seventy OW sox and gloves). Did about 1200m and lost sensation in my feet, struggled to breath most of the time too. Only just starting to feel warm.

I'm not feeling the OW love just now

18/05/2013 at 12:02

Cheers folks...don't feel such a wuss now. Plan for tomorrow is to give myself plenty of warm up time, make sure I can immerse myself and control breathing before the off. Best laid and all that!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
18/05/2013 at 12:29

you'll be fine!!

the may change it to a duathlon too?

Britrisky    pirate
18/05/2013 at 15:18

Another 2.4 mile swim. I'm going to be amazed with myself if I do complete Outlaw - after every long swim / bike or run I'm so tired I can't imagine being able to do anything else that day ... I guess adrenaline has a big part to play on the day ...?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
18/05/2013 at 15:52

I hope so Britrisky. I almost got into swimming today but A ran out of time and B started to freeze so had to get out. (the water park is very strict about all out by 9)

Definitely back in the "I can't do this" camp.

Dad started his radiotherapy this week & from what mum said it's not nice at all. Thoughts of what he's enduring made me keep swimming.

18/05/2013 at 18:23

long bike ride today..started the route by going west over the mountains.........the bwlch wasn't so bad from thwe other side even though its over 500m......lots of hills out.got carried away when i met up with some cyclist and di some miles with them......

found myself 60 miles into the ride and at Pont Abraham..which is where the M4 end

had a bit of a panic depresed moment.phoned hubby to ask him not to drink and stay on standby.....

had some food and cycled back with the benefit of the wind and a flatter/ underlating route.and manage to do the whole lot feeling strong at the end.......117 miles done at a fair pace for me.......

so glad there wasn't an option to bail at 60 or I would have taken it and felt totally demoralised....

18/05/2013 at 18:26

a lot of the unofficial ironman distances aren#t run under BTF rules and so can make their own rules.......

I know the one is scotland last week was only 10 degrees and went ahead and allowed booties etc........

Enduroman will allow booties but it is a shallow lake and will be fine in a fortnight.....the kids are swimming in their already in swim suits.....

for those strugglingling..just give yourself time to get used to it prior to the race...if you are still struggling then do breast stroke.....anything to get you moving and buy yourself time.and double swim hats

18/05/2013 at 19:32

just realised the bwlch is 545m and we turned from the summit on a different road that went even higher.......not sure how haqndy that was for outlaw training

18/05/2013 at 21:45

Guys stop panicking about the swim! The water is unseasonably cold at the moment if you are having difficulties do more! Its still a long time till outlaw to get the experirnce and endurance in the weathers perking up temps will come up and it will get easier 

Mr StOat    pirate
19/05/2013 at 05:36

Just getting geared up for my first century.

Im in awe of everyone's training, I've managed bugger all for weeks. I need my head sorting out

I wonder if you can condense fink into 6 weeks

19/05/2013 at 07:12

Matt.........I have done hardly anything since the DIY weekend.....yesterday was me kickstarting my training back into focus..........

so i am all dressed up for a run...going to run the 7 miles ( slowly) to the start of my club race and then i will walk to my marshalling point........luckily my marshalling point is not on the top of the mountain...just one of the first levels up.....

OW swimming in the river tomorrow morning....

have a great ride today.........i was out so long yesterday .luckily my OH is understanding about the demands and made everyone dinner whilst i was out and did the school visit and the hockey club taxiing twice......and sorted out the washing :0

his turn to race today whilst i marshall

The Evil Pixie    pirate
19/05/2013 at 11:55

just back from long ride

drank lots more

felt loads better but had to stop for a wee 3 times!

also tonnes of flies had to stop to get one out of my hat

19/05/2013 at 12:02

Have sacrificed my long bike ride and just done 4th open water swim in a week. breathing still raspy and out of breath, did a 750m loop but 90% breaststroke. Took 23mins. If I can speed the breaststoke up I might dip in under the hour for outlaw half but the full is obviously a problem.

Tomorrow I shall swim in wetsuit in (heated) outdoor pool and see if thats ok and wednesday I'm going to do 750m loop again alternating 30 strokes of fc and bs

1,981 to 2,000 of 3,129 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.