Fink for outlaw 2013

1,981 to 2,000 of 3,161 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
16/05/2013 at 17:03

can i just moan about being tired for a minute.

the training is OK but its the effort to get up in time to get out the door etc

I am just drained! School doesn't help as it's been a long term but tomorrow is the last day (well then 1 wk inset but no teaching) Can't wait for me week "off" (AKA marking at home!!)

Tired Badger    pirate
16/05/2013 at 17:06

are you swimming tonight EP?

16/05/2013 at 17:12

EP you can moan but it wont help  it basically takes over your life for the training period which is exactly why i am having a break this year, occasionally and i mean once or twice usually duting cutbacks i rske two whole days off and just chill snd wslk the dogs although i still do the long sessions that week

TBH i think totally knackerd has been my default setting for the last 10 years 

Running Postie    pirate
16/05/2013 at 17:27

Cat  tri IS one sport!

EP go get yourself a nice soak in the bath with a bar of chocolate and a glass of wine, works a treat 

seren nos    pirate
16/05/2013 at 17:29

that 30 min powernap will hopefully be enough so that i will be raring to go for that run tonight............

goodjob hubby woke me up or i would have slept till morning and noone would have any tea

16/05/2013 at 17:46

Tiredness is a way of life when IM training.

16/05/2013 at 18:08

Embrace the fatigue

The Evil Pixie    pirate
16/05/2013 at 18:36

Last double of the day my year 11s gave me lots of Green and Black dark chocolate  how lovely.

I then changed to go swimming, and drove home. It wasn't until I walked into the house and hubby asked what I was doing that I even realised I had driven home

So TB Yes I was going to swim but no I didn't. Looking at the scary sky probably a good thing too as my OW confidence is low just now anyways.\

I foresee an early night.

seren nos    pirate
16/05/2013 at 20:34

lovely run with club tonight........will try and bike tomorrow and work out a route for sundays long bike ride

Britrisky    pirate
16/05/2013 at 22:26

First OW of the season for me today - brrrrrr is all I have to say!

16/05/2013 at 22:56

Haven't dared any OW yet! Brrrrr

treated myself to a new helmet t'other day though and had a storming ride tonight, 22.5 miles at 19mph Lucky hat is here to stay!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
17/05/2013 at 06:22

I went to bed at 8.30  got up at 6

Must get up for OW tomorrow now

seren nos    pirate
17/05/2013 at 20:12

had a crap crap day today....was all dressed up and out on the bike but didn't manage a quarter of a mile.....

but things will be different tomorrow......hubby has the boys all sorted and so i am all prepared for an early start.and will get a long bike in...will hopefully do over the 100 as its been a few weeks since my last one

Mr StOat    pirate
18/05/2013 at 07:02

I've got my first century ride tomorrow! Its quite a scary prospect riding 100 miles

The Evil Pixie    pirate
18/05/2013 at 07:12

just getting ready to head to the bog. drinking tea 1st, put contacts in then off.

Fell asleep on sofa at 8.30 last night!

18/05/2013 at 08:04

Morning guys...any tips on OW swimming in v cold water. I was fine last year (I think the coldest I swam in was about 13 degrees). I did my first last Monday and it was a little over 10 degrees and had a bit of a panic attack. Breathing was short and rapid, could not get my stroke going and ended up getting out after about 3 minutes.

I have the Slateman tomorrow which won't be much warmer, if at all, and I am stressing.

Any suggestions...anyone?

18/05/2013 at 08:43

Stanners  - I am doing the Slateman having gained a late entry only this week (numpty I'm full of good ideas). Along with many others I am also concerned about the same issues as you.

I have included below the guidlines / rules for OW  swimming, I don't think the organisers would contravene these rules, but it is set to be shown on the TV, so who knows.  

I have asked the organisers if the event would be run as duathlon should the water temp be below the recommended limit, they have not replied. Someone else has also enquired as to the current water temp... you guessed it no reply.

So I suppose looking at the guidlines if the temp is above 11c then we should be ok. Last year the length of the full Slateman swim was reduced to 750mts due to water temp. 

Hope this helps. Good luck !!      

Water Temperature Max. Distance 

13 c 2000m
12 c 1000m
11 c 500m
NB: Based on the above table the minimum temperature for a standard distance swim (1500m) is 12.5°c.
9.5 At temperatures less than 11°C it is recommended that no open water swimming take place. The above are based on water temperatures alone and assume that the wind chill factor is negligible. If wind chill is significant swim distances may be reduced at higher temperatures.

18/05/2013 at 09:07

More likely to have been cold water shock reflex than a panic attack. As long as the race is under BTF rules the above water temps should apply but if it's not it will be at the organisers discretion. Too late now but you can train yourself to overcome the effects of cold water shock. In the short term what may help a little is a neoprene cap - or at least two swim caps, understanding the cold water reflex and what is happening so that you don't continue to hyperventilate and progress to a panic attack and getting in to the water in time to overcome the cold water shock reaction before you start your swim. Good luck!

18/05/2013 at 11:11

Having the same problems - Just done my 3rd open water session and after 400m was in tears. How can I do 5 times that in 2 weeks?  and the full in 7 weeks. I go with a very positive attitude, do all the things I'm meant to, start ok and slow and it actually gets worse. Today felt dizzy and everything spinning a bit. Am going again tomorrow and giving up a long bike. No point practising the bike if I don't make the swim cut off

The Evil Pixie    pirate
18/05/2013 at 11:52

3rd OW here today 11.3 I wore sox and gloves + 2 hats (Blue seventy OW sox and gloves). Did about 1200m and lost sensation in my feet, struggled to breath most of the time too. Only just starting to feel warm.

I'm not feeling the OW love just now

1,981 to 2,000 of 3,161 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.