Fink for outlaw 2013

2,121 to 2,140 of 2,715 messages
Running Postie    pirate
12/06/2013 at 19:57

Keep up the good Work, your all going to be great On the day!

someone mentioned sun cream, there will be plenty on the day, for both the run and bike, normally there are some nice ladies ready to smother you in cream before you go on the run!

K9
12/06/2013 at 20:42

I'll be doingporridge with banana and honey at 3am

Iron Pingu    pirate
12/06/2013 at 21:21

Holy crap, 3am!!!! I'm not getting up before 4am, porridge and banana approx 4.15.

12/06/2013 at 21:28

Wheetabix,  honey and some raisins  takes seconds to sort no cooking required

12/06/2013 at 21:29

Oh and immodium

Mr StOat    pirate
12/06/2013 at 22:03

Rice pudding with a handfuI of oats at about 4-4:30

K9
12/06/2013 at 22:38

definitely immodium

Mr StOat    pirate
12/06/2013 at 22:43

Really? 

seren nos    pirate
13/06/2013 at 08:06

I never take immodium......go to toilet 2 or 3 times in the morning before the race to clear out all systems.....and then the adrenaline and exercise ensures that i do not usually go again until the race stops.....

off for a swim in the river...at least the rain won't matter

The Silent Assassin    pirate
13/06/2013 at 08:33

don't do cereals, for me a couple of chicken salad wraps bought the day before, tea and a weak sports drink, never had to take immodium, the tea shifts everything for me!

13/06/2013 at 09:47

Porridge, croissant and hot tea worked for the half so not changing it.
I will however have to do my dash to the porta-loo in T1 as debuted at the Half, as I'd a delicate little thing  and can't warm up my wetsuit ewww.

13/06/2013 at 13:05

Imodium works by slowing peristalsis - is that really what you want to happen in an event lasting over 12 hours when you're trying to fuel? I wouldn't take it unless you have an issue and need to.

EP - why on earth are you taking gels instead of having breakfast before a long ride? You'd be much better off with a bowl of cereal or a couple of rounds of toast and honey.

seren nos    pirate
13/06/2013 at 13:31

going to say jam on taost would be better than gels....

Lee the Pea    pirate
13/06/2013 at 13:36

I think the answer to what to eat before the race is this - what you know works.  What works for one won't for another.  You've all been doing lots of long rides, so that should give you an indication of what works for you.  I wouldn't worry if you're vastly different from everyone else, so long as you can take what you're eating, and that you've got a tested plan for what you'll eat along the way. 

Having said all that, i've not decided what to eat before the mara, as i'll not be starting until the early afternoon of course, so not sure how much to eat in the morning. Usually I do my run in the morning, and i'll either have a gluten free cereal or scrambled eggs beforehand, just whatever I fancy on the day. 

seren nos    pirate
13/06/2013 at 14:14

Lee..late races like that is a difficult one...........I would have a ful cooked breakfast early and then something like toast and banana later on

Lee the Pea    pirate
13/06/2013 at 14:19

mmmmm, full cooked brekkie :-P  I like your thinking Seren!!! hehehehehe. 

Yeah I think for me some protein in the morning, then some pre-running carbs.  I've been using gels a lot less this time, and I don't miss them too much.  I've been finding Nakd bars, Powerbars and 9bar (or something like that) quite useful instead, so will probably get a couple of those to stick in my back pockets on the day.  I really should look at what they're serving up on the feed stations....i've been ignoring all the info. because i'm not doing the full thing, but of course I still need to know what's going on.  In fact it has just occurred to me i'll need to register on the Saturday, lol.  Best go read the stuff I think.....

13/06/2013 at 15:05

I think I'd just stick to my normal breakfast and lunch then look to top up with something with some slow release carbs about an hour and a half before I'm expecting to run. Good excuse to nibble on those Nakd bars all day

K9
13/06/2013 at 15:23

I've never needed immodium before the last few months, but have had major 'issues' whenever I run since about Feb - it's hideous and I dont understand why it has started.

Have taken immodium before every run lately and things are a lot better. I will definitely be taking some and carrying extra on race day!

LMH - yes it slows peristalsis - but only to something still only approaching normal in my case. No danger of overshoot!!

Hey - too much info??

And breakfast will probably be between 3 and 3:30. I wont have slept anyway - and I dont have bother getting up in the mornings. I dont usually eat until after I swim though. Dont feel hungry straight away, so it'll be a bit of an effort to eat I reckon

13/06/2013 at 15:45

I normally have porridge but before the half I just had 2 pieces of toast and jam. Felt sick to the pit of my stomach with nerves and it all tastes like cardboard but I reckon you'll have enough gels during the dayEP without starting that early

13/06/2013 at 15:50

K9 - I'm guessing you've thought about things like dietary changes and avoiding wheat or dairy before runs as an experiment?

Cake - I miss fig rolls - don't suppose Sarah has found a gf version?

SS - I know what you mean about having to force your breakfast down at that time - it's just not natural is it?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.