Fink for outlaw 2013

2,161 to 2,180 of 2,715 messages
14/06/2013 at 10:07

where is 'up here'.....  

Iron Pingu    pirate
14/06/2013 at 10:23

I've got a Plant X (carbon) road bike (white .. that's important) that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.  It has aero bars that I use to tape bananas on, so therefore they are banana bars. 

I would love to know if a super flash bike would speed me up, but I was disappointed when I went from my Giant road bike (aluminium frame, carbon forks) to the Planet X that I wasn't any faster at all!  In fact, I don't think I'm faster than when I first got on a bike, I can just peddle further

Lee the Pea    pirate
14/06/2013 at 10:26

Unfortunately I don't think any bike will speed me up, even if it is white.  The only solution for me is........................weight loss and t*******        

Edited: 14/06/2013 at 10:27
Lee the Pea    pirate
14/06/2013 at 10:31

Meat cleaver and a sewing kit?  Drastic and probably not recommended though

Rafiki    pirate
14/06/2013 at 10:37

I lost a stone in 2 days with malaria once - but wouldn't recommend it!

And don't forget that  adding aeros to a road bike is completely different to a TT. TT's have different geomotry that opens up the hip angle, which allows for a much more efficient pedal stroke. If fitted badly, aeros on a road bke may actually slow you down.

Pingu - I think you would be quicker on a TT (not necessarily a flash one) and it doesn't have to be carbon. In our price range, there won't be much difference in weight. My TT is an ali frame and I'm 3mph quicker on it compared to my road bike (Although the TT is white with blalck and yellow tyres)

14/06/2013 at 10:47

I am a lurker here guys - my race is in 2 weeks (austria) 

I recently got a boardman TT bike - def faster - it took a bit of getting used to but I went out on Monday evening - full of the cold, HR did not get above zone 2 and I still romped home 1.5mph faster than normal on the same course.  

14/06/2013 at 10:57

I have a Specialized Ruby with clip on aero bars but I do have a set of race wheels and they make a difference. When I fitted the aero bars initially I was in agony after about 30 seconds on them, had a bike fit at Tri Central which moved the bars by about a cm (my LBS had set the rest of the bike up perfectly but they are roadies or bmxers so don't 'do' aero bars) and I rode most of an oly bike course on them the next day.

Have been considering upgrading to a Shiv but know that I would have to pay for a proper bike fit too as my old and battered body is not as flexible as it once was and as I'm not sure that the EIA is going to allow me to get through a swim at all it seems like a huge investment. The reason for a Shiv is that a bike fit says that I should be able to achieve a comfortable aero position on it and my LBS can get it in stock, they are so good and help me out so much that I don't want to buy elsewhere.

What sort of bike box are you using K9? I've flown bikes to Prague and Australia ok - the first in a  bike bag which was scary as I sat on the plane and watched the baggage handler walk over it on the conveyor belt. Arrived in one piece though.

Edited: 14/06/2013 at 10:59
Iron Pingu    pirate
14/06/2013 at 11:09

I was most upset watching all the bike boxes fall off the end of the conveyor belt at Lanza airport, but everyones seemed to arrive there without getting damaged.  Well mine broke, but I don't blame the airport for that!

Raf, would love a TT, but my next bike should be a mountain bike I think ...

14/06/2013 at 11:56

I have road bike and one from approx. 1986 at that, the frame and wheels are original although re-sprayed and she has new handle bars and saddle etc. I haven't had any negative comments at races as yet. Also the front wheel rarely touches the ground when racked either.  Did just fine for the half and I'm hoping we'll be the same for the full.

14/06/2013 at 12:08

I think we need to start a list of the side bets/competitions for Outlaw

1. My bike is the oldest/ most knackered
2. I'll be the last out the swim within the cut off
3. Last pirate home

etc

Good news though, my cold/wet weather race gear has arrived so the forecast should be dry and sunny on the day.

14/06/2013 at 12:08

Thanks Cake - thought that was probably the case.

I'm quite happy to outperform my bike compared to the 'all the gear no idea' types. One of the other things that puts me off updating - I don't want people looking and thinking 'she must be fast' and then beating me by miles! My Ruby and I have done well over 5000 miles together mind and she is showing the wear a little - just had to have the rear cassette and chain changed.

14/06/2013 at 12:26

Last 18 miler done. Legs are knackered now but can taper the running just one long bike ride to do.

I'd love a new bike and did think that if I did another triathlon after outlaw that I would get one but sadly I have worked out that it won't make me faster

14/06/2013 at 13:11

EP - you've got a whole 59secs to spare

Lee the Pea    pirate
14/06/2013 at 13:50

I'm going for slowest marathon - not on purpose, just reality   Might as well get my monies worth!!!

Thanks for that Cake, I don't mind at all!  Interested to hear Booky's take on it.  I have heard that you can be gluten intolerant/sensitive, but not wheat intolerant/sensitive (or maybe that should be the other way round) but wondered how to work out which because it is hard to get 'only' wheat without gluten in it to test the theory?  If that makes any sense at all!!!!!

14/06/2013 at 16:57

Crap. On run this morning trainers started to rip. I think I can get Sunday's long run out of them but a) is there time to break in a new pair next week and b) any recommendations, preferably for a neutral runner. My dying pair are Saucony Triumph 10

Lee the Pea    pirate
14/06/2013 at 17:04

If they've suited you well, why not just go for the same again Stanners? You could break a new pair in just by walking about in them as much as poss too, after work and at weekends....

Lee the Pea    pirate
14/06/2013 at 17:05

btw everyone should have an email from OSB - info will be on their site from next week.  Run route looks like 3 laps of the lake, 2 out and backs and last lap of lake?  Or something like that, can't quite work it out

14/06/2013 at 17:24

You'll have plenty of time to wear a pair in Stanners - as Lee says if they suited you why not go for more of the same?

Lee the Pea    pirate
14/06/2013 at 17:44

Yep, this is the most expensive marathon i've paid for, so i'm making the most of it 

Edited: 14/06/2013 at 17:44
Britrisky    pirate
14/06/2013 at 21:40

I've just got a new pair of trainers - the same as before. Had exactly the same trainers 4 times now .

This will be the last time, though, because they've been superseded twice now and there are only a few odd sizes around on the internet. Shall have to actually go to a real shop next time 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.