Fink for outlaw 2013

2,881 to 2,900 of 3,129 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/06/2013 at 10:22

just had a text from Outlaw saying "This time next week you'll be enjoying a leisurely 112m bike ride" It went on to say it may be hot (forecast now 23) and think hydration

More things to worry about!

30/06/2013 at 10:28

Better than pissing down for 112 miles

The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/06/2013 at 10:33

Just seen this 

"Don't be afraid of your fears. They're not there to scare you. They're there to let you know that something is worth it."

30/06/2013 at 10:48

Agreed RBB, I'd take 23 degrees any day of the week!

Matt, glad you are in the relaxed camp, I was beginning to feel a little worried about not feeling worried.

Fink brick session yesterday was so enjoyable. 2 hours on the bike and a 30 minute run hardly registered and decided to head out in to the Peaks which was a nice change from the last 10 weeks riding the Cheshire flats.

Hour run planned for this afternoon and I am going to practice changing a tube for the 1st time! Any good online resources people can recommend for clinchers?

Might also start packing which means kit choice. I met up with Slower than I Look for lunch last week and relieved him of his Pirate monaco. Not is not as comfortable as my  Skins kit but think the extra support you get in the yelow and black might be worth it

K9
30/06/2013 at 11:18

Ill be delighted with 23 degrees - I usually worry most about getting too cold. I much prefer warmth but will need to be careful to drink plenty I am rubbish at that.

I managed a very poor 500ml (or even less) during yesterdays 63 mile sportive!

LMH - its actually the cycling which aggravates the sciatica - probably because my bike set up is all wrong - I have the seat right back to favour my left knee - which gets really angry otherwise. This seems to strain my right hamstrings/ piriformis etc and the scaitica results.

It got bad last week from the Alps cycling trip...its a lot better now and yesterdays cycling hasnt made it worse at all.

So - I've done my usual pool swim. Will do a slow run. Been invited for an evening river swim which I might do - but only if my mum can talk me through videoing the tour highlights at 7pm over the phone! I can never work the blasted thing.

Not a lot planned for the week. Maybe an easy ride or run or such like. Bit of short pool swimming.

I cant do nothing at all. It's not possible

K9
30/06/2013 at 12:52

Stanners....have you seriously never changed a tube before? you've NEVER had a puncture? I SO need to get whatever tyres you've got. Either that or move to somewhere with better roads!

30/06/2013 at 13:02

Never in my life so got some learning ahead of me this afternoon!

I've trained all winter on Continental Gatorskins which have been phenominal (even on crap Cheshire roads) but just too heavy for a quick time, so I have changed to Continental Force / Attack

30/06/2013 at 13:45

K9 fit is do important for comfort on a bike to late to change your position now as it could cause you more problems thsn it sorts in the short time if you give me a shout over the weekend i would be more than happy to look at your fit and advise you what to have a look at after the race, I am not a qualified fitter but have read heaps on the subject and have sorted my mates bikes for a few years now

K9
30/06/2013 at 14:05

Thanks Ridgeback...

It may just be my old wrecked body though.

I had a proper retul fit last year but it felt 'wrong' straightaway for my left knee - I can feel my patella maltracking, and once my knee really flares up it takes ages to settle again. I got the Retul fit done after I developed hamstring tendonitis on the other side from the knee problem!

I put the bike back to how it had been. knee has been the best it's been and hamstring grumbling but not so bad....but then got scaitica instead! 

Have been trying to find a half way house to suit both legs!!

The bike shop I was in yesterday reckon the bike I am on is too big - which may be true. They are going to take a look too - but I agree - it's too late for next week.

I may well be a lot better without the mileage I've been doing for Outlaw anyway...

K9
30/06/2013 at 14:07

Stanners - I have a gatorskin on my back wheel. They are pretty good, but quite slow I agree. I still managed to get a puncture on it in my half IM last year though ..Grr - that was glass. I've also had a thorn-related puncture this year

30/06/2013 at 14:32

I got sold a bike that was to big for my first roadbike i could never grt the set up tight snd in my ignorance thuought that my lower back killing me eas part of riding a race bike when i twigged i flogged it brought a bike from s decent dealer and never looked back i am quite suprised the Retul didnt tell you the bike was go big i have seen some crap " pro " fits that take no account of the individuals flexability and what they are trying to acheive i.e sn ironman fit is going to be a lot less agressive than a 25 mile TT position

The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/06/2013 at 15:25

*puts positive head on*

So Monday and I'm and Outlaw and at school.

what to do/take/eat? I'll have my compression socks on and ibruen but what else?

30/06/2013 at 15:32

A chair?

You will need a large wet flannel.........to wipe the big stupid grin off your face

The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/06/2013 at 15:34

indeed but I was thinking about pain etc

seren nos    pirate
30/06/2013 at 15:34

lots of food and drink and somewhere to sleep...

To be honest if you have never done an ultra event you will have no idea how your body will react.you might need a wheel chair to get yourself around the next day if your body seizes up with DOMS.......which would be made worse by a long car journey straight afterwards

seren nos    pirate
30/06/2013 at 15:35

I just had a lovely morning ride on the bike,..it was windy out so i tried to take the front quite a bit.....

30/06/2013 at 15:41

Seriously you may have trouble walking more a shuffle and stairs may have to be negotiated on your bum that should give the kids a laugh, only had it that bad once  when me and a certain Mr Cona were hammering the run at Outlaw I got a massive PB but I was in bits the next day poor Cona ended up in the Med tent at the finish

The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/06/2013 at 15:43

I did a long distance walk (25hous) and had swollen feet, slow and stiff but OK and I've was mainly OK after the HIM but this is totally different!

I may just ask for a lift key instead of using stairs!

30/06/2013 at 15:52

Just realised what happened to Captain Jack Sparrer who started this thread are you racing?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/06/2013 at 16:06

think he pulled out a few month back

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.