02/01/2013 at 14:00

thanks folks

just seen the swimathon is now open I'm going for the 5k *gulp* I think

seren nos    pirate
02/01/2013 at 14:01

i did one of those as my one and only long swim for the double last year

seren nos    pirate
02/01/2013 at 16:42

want to get the turbo bike and turbo out for a quick brick session......but its hard to get to it with the other 5 bikes in the room...if I'm not careful today will turn into a rest day

Running Postie    pirate
02/01/2013 at 17:17

Happy new year everyone!!

training has been hit and miss (due to the job!) but I am now able to run again after my achilles tear. It was the best christmas pressie ever! I was good and ran xmas eve and christmas day and also newyears eve and  newyears day (10km race) and I even ran to the doctors and back today for my asthma check Now I need to get back on my bike...

seren nos    pirate
02/01/2013 at 18:04

did it...managed to get the turbo out and did the 30 min turbo ...15 min run.........feeling so pleased to be able to tick it off.i was very close to doing a CBA

02/01/2013 at 20:43
Great news Postie! Always good to see someone coming off the bench. I'm slowly recovering* from plantar fasciitis so understand your frustrations!

Thanks for the bike course info folks. Comes as a relief!

(* "recovering" = got bored with being injured for 12 weeks so decided to just run and ignore the pain for a while to see what happens)
IronCat5    pirate
02/01/2013 at 22:18

I did the run-walk thing in training when going over 2 hours. Set my garmin to beep every 10 mins, then walked for one minute. This translated ok-ish to Outlaw. Running between feed stations was OK, then walking through them, but there was no real incentive to start running afterwards.

FF got me to count to 100 once we hit the feed stations, then run at 100 paces.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
02/01/2013 at 22:36

see that's my concern that I will feel "ok" but my garmin will say walk so I will then I won't want to start again or will take ages to check/pay attention to garmin and then walk longer than needed.

I'll be using Z2 through training but will have to ignore the HR or just do longer runs later as Z2 is slow (unless it dramatically changes!)

I'm hoping with weight lose & training Z2 will speed up before the end of base!

sweetfeet...    pirate
02/01/2013 at 23:14

Pixie many people use perceived effort as an indicator. i.e. what their body is telling them.

My view is that Fink's time/HR logic is a great training guide and gets us away from the distance/speed is everything mentality reducing the risks of illness and injury from over-training.

IMHO as long as you have put the training hours in and tapered down properly, come race day you can put it all out there (within RPE reason) and keep running if your body says you can.

The bigger challenge I have found is hydration/nutrition. If you run out of calories that will slow you down for certain.

03/01/2013 at 00:30

Supposed to have done a brick session on the bike tonight, but just as I was set to leave discovered my rear light as packed in, frigging thing, so 8 mile run instead.

Then into the local pool for a swim, low and behold they have decided that a week off is not enough so the pool is still closed 

EP my pace last year picked up in Z2 from about 8:30-9:00 m/m to about 6:40 - 6:50 m/m, it does get better. 

Stoatally Different    pirate
03/01/2013 at 00:53

Oooooh, I've missed loads!

I've been ill over christmas, jsut proper wiped out, so my plan started this week. Not swum for a while and the pools are closed, start again on Friday.

Nice brisck tonight, 30 min bike and 15 run, not as much as some of you, but I'll pick it up

Spent chunks of today looking at the racing year, planning things to fit in roughly around the plan, looking at a few sportives, half marathons, maybe a full, diy HIM and so on

seren nos    pirate
03/01/2013 at 08:32

can't believe how lucky we were this christmas with the pool.closed last year for the whole duration.this year only closed for 4 days in total........the 3 bank holidays and one other......

off to swim now

03/01/2013 at 08:42

We're lucky as have gym membership and that was only closed on Xmas day and NY day.

Have Body pump and Spin tonight and come this weekend will staqrt logging my training and getting back onto Finks plan.

Now work calls.

Stoatally Different    pirate
03/01/2013 at 09:02

That reminds me, I need to cancel my gym membership! I've had it too long and never really used it. I'd much prefer to run / cycle outside, or turbo in teh garage. My friend has just equipped his 'shed' with loads of weights too. The gym pool is also a bit pants at 20m, so I generally swim masters elsewhere!

Tempted to put the money saved from the gym to an online coach, would it be worth it?

Red_dog_chris    pirate
03/01/2013 at 09:57
1hour reverse brick session this morning struggling to motivate myself to swim.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
03/01/2013 at 10:01

swim? What is this swim thing you talk about? I'm seriously considering cancelling my swim membership as it's only worth it if I go twice a week/8 times a month and I've failed to do that on several times (err not been for at least 4 weeks!)

Red_dog_chris    pirate
03/01/2013 at 10:15
Ep I have to drag myself to the pool . I really hate it when its crowded. I am much happier in open water.
03/01/2013 at 10:16

This week is not going well, my new years day was my over indulge day so no training (although a 2 hr XC walk might count for soemthing?) and then last nights club swim was cancelled as the school for got to open the pool for us.

Woke upat 6.30 am but wind was howling and it was chucking it down so skipped that to.

Total training this week = 0

Must do better!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
03/01/2013 at 10:21

RDC I don't mind the pool as I see the bumping as practice for the IM swim as I will have folks with me for the start! OW is OK in training I just freeze in races so need to fix that.

Ali at least you have excuses such as pool not open

I'm having today off as I will be building a desk and bookcase when they arrive (or when I get the call to collect!)

Have entered the 5k swimathon so need to get my butt in gear anyways!

03/01/2013 at 11:33

Hi Guys, new to the forum.

Kicked off the Outlaw training yesterday with a 1500m swim TT.  Day 2 is a rest day.  Which is nice.

Reading the past posts course looks fairly flat with a decent hill in the middle.  How exposed is it to wind?  I live in east anglia so I'm used to the wind, but wind and hills together are an alien concept.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.