Fink for outlaw 2013

401 to 420 of 3,129 messages
seren nos    pirate
03/01/2013 at 17:12

found a 43 mile route that could be lengthened or shortended

Running Postie    pirate
03/01/2013 at 18:01

Hagakure if you've done the Vit, then if you blink, you would miss the hill at Outlaw. It is but a pimpled compared to the 'ripple'.

Slokey Joe I have had Plantafasciitis (nasty)and still managed a marathon, I used a cross trainer for my run sessions and cycled loads for aerobic fitness. I taped up the foot on the day of the marathon and got through it fine.

Sweetfeet if your going to stick to the plans that an on-line coach gives you, then yes it would be money well spent.If your a bit hit and miss with the training, then you would be better paying a coach at the local tri club for one to one sessions.

I have found myfitnesspal on I phone apps, how the hell did I live without it?!

03/01/2013 at 18:25

Quick Q? re Fink, I'm going to use the competitive plan for IM Wales & add in a lot of hill work on bike & runs.

I've read the book cover to cover several times & can see no mention of this basic numpty question.

A 30 minute run or ride for example in Z2 is nigh on impossible due to various reasons, so should I do a 30 minute run and try to keep to Z2, walk where I need to or should I do a 40 minute run that has 10 minutes at the beginning in Z3-4 that drops to Z2 for a sustained 30 minutes as I settle into the run?

Cyclings even worse esp as I want to put the climbing in to prepare for Wales.

M...eldy    pirate
03/01/2013 at 19:20

30 mins in Z2 and walk where you need to ... its all about keeping HR down

Britrisky    pirate
04/01/2013 at 09:54
JvR - I have done drills during family busy family sessions, I tell myself the congestion is good practice for a mass swim start and sighting.

Yesterday I signed up for a hilly muddy 1/2 mara with Running Postie in Feb, the Swimathon and Snowdonia mara in Oct. Chuffed that there's more than just Outlaw in the diary but hills? We don't have any of those here - I'll have to drive somewhere to train!!!
04/01/2013 at 11:34

ive been too ill to do anything for so long, im worried ive left it too late.

hoping/planning to get the friday run in tonight. first bit of training since middle of december. the only good news is im carrying  less lard than i was in the middle of december. ( ooh, and new trainers and sports watch )

in dire need of getting back on plan to be safely fit enough to finish outlaw half ( amongst other plans )

seren nos    pirate
04/01/2013 at 13:10

mysore throat yesterday had turned toi manflu today.............i had the same 2 weeks ago..............never normally suffer.........i blame the swimming pools..........hopefully will be fine tomorrow.....didn't hang around long last time

and today is a rest day so good timing

sweetfeet...    pirate
04/01/2013 at 13:33

Swim #5 again for me last night which is the straight 2,500m hit. 44 mins again which was exactly the same as swim #5 first time around (about 2.5 weeks ago I guess). I did stop after one length to briefly chat to some fellow IMA participants and suffered badly with cramp in the last 10 lengths so net slightly faster I think. Hopefully swims #1 to #4 are actually helping with their combinations of drills and sprints.

I think the cramp was partially due to my legs having done that 45 min 100+RPM session on the turbo in the morning. That is not the breeze the book suggested. Banging out that cadence consistently despite a lower gear does take its toll. Or i am doing something wrong.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
04/01/2013 at 13:53

what does 7.5% feel/look like!?!

Am currently reading IronHolgs Book (half way through) and now terrified of bike problems. A puncture I think I can cope with but broken chains? OMG! Panic!

Yesterday I cross trained with the flatpack desk for son and bookcase and today my back is killing me. Too long bent over reading and locating stuff etc.

Red_dog_chris    pirate
04/01/2013 at 13:54
Dragged myself to the pool and did an hour swim.
sweetfeet...    pirate
04/01/2013 at 13:59

Pixie more than one post on here has said the hill on Outlaw is nothing to worry about. Is that what you are referring to?

With you on chains. My plan is to get mine replaced sometime in the spring and keep the old one to practice on. I carry the tool but I dont know what to do with it. It is the mechanical failure I also fear to ruin my day.

Flatpack is a penalty for something you did wrong in a previous life.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
04/01/2013 at 14:20

Sweetfeet I have hills round here so would like to practice! Most see me dying! I did get a max HR of 193 on 1 before Christmas

I didn't even realise there was a chain tool! I am so stuffed if anything goes wrong and with silly 650 tyres I will have to carry replacements as the vans won't!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
04/01/2013 at 14:29

Oh and forgot to say *insert smug grin* I've lost the Christmas excess + some with 5lb off this week. Now I just need to tackle the remaining 30-40lb!

JvR
04/01/2013 at 14:32

Seren: The leisure centre does have a sauna and steam room that I’ve never used. I have managed to get down for a swim on a Sunday morning. Think I might use going into the sauna on a Sunday morning after swimming as a reward if I manage to do my swims in the week, at least until the long bike rides mean I haven’t got time to get to the pool on a Sunday.

HONK: The local tri club have a swim session on a Thursday evening but my other half goes out that night which means it’s usually the one night of the week that my son and I get to sit down and watch some of the programmes we both enjoy in comfort and not have to sit in the kitchen or upstairs. They do run a coached swim and a sea swim when the weather gets warmer on a Monday and Friday evening which I might be able to get to, especially the sea swim.

Britrisky: It’s been a while since I went a family session at the pool, might have to look at that as an option if I’m still struggling to get the swims in.

04/01/2013 at 18:16
Hey Pixie, vans? Do they have support vans on the course? What will they do for you?
04/01/2013 at 18:24

Seren - strange that. I went swimming yesterday and had the most amazing cold when I got home. Sneezed and blew my nose all evening and felt like s((t. Took a lemsip and am fine today. Weird.

EP - I was reading the fink book the other day and there are checks one should do every time you get on the bike. Headset being one of them. I haven't got a clue what a headset is. In fact I only ever get on my bike and ride

The Evil Pixie    pirate
05/01/2013 at 09:44

SS I am so with you on the bike thing!

re vans aren't there maintenance vans to help  the broken and stranded riders?

45 mins z2 run this morning ... so slow it's depressing

Red_dog_chris    pirate
05/01/2013 at 11:20
1:50 min ride this morning. Did some of the first loop including the hill. Ep is really isn't bad. Remember Wild Boar? That course is probably ten times tougher than outlaw. You will storm it with your special tyres !!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
05/01/2013 at 11:26

I was going to ask you how the hill compared! I have 1/2m hills here but I just don't have any idea as to how steep it is!

Was out on my run this morning and for the 1st time my head registered "I am training to be an IM" without panicing! Felt good to "say" it.

Now I must locate my swim stuff!

On that point ... I had previously decided I was going to get the odd swim lesson and follow his plan. I was told back in Oct that my swimming is basically OK I just lack power and a few minor tweeks. Having now missed a good 5 weeks of swimming due to cold then Christmas I'm now thinking I'm going to save my money (well that's been spent on the bike TBH!) and just get in the pool and do lots of lengths. Oh and get OW ASAP even if it is freezing cold!

Red_dog_chris    pirate
05/01/2013 at 11:36
Its 12% gradient whatever that means it curves around but is only really steep towarfs the end. You will be fine trust me.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.