Fink for outlaw 2013

461 to 480 of 3,129 messages
08/01/2013 at 11:00

getting back on track with my wk5 tuesday run. all done to plan, ahead of breakfast and sunrise and all that nonsense.  Thank god for a decent treadmill - no excuses about the weather to keep me snug in the bed.

Its going to be brutal at the weekend as ive skipped 4wks of bike building. what larks will 90mins on the turbo be ? sufferfest without the fest.

08/01/2013 at 13:08

Hi all,

I'll be starting Fink Intermediate in a few weeks for Challenge Henley. Looking at the plan I can't help thinking that the plan is a little run heavy and bike light? Take, for example, Base Week 9. This has 3x1hr+ run sessions in it and only 2x1hr+ bike sessions? I don't understand this.

As someone who is currently working through ITBS by sorting out my run technique, the volume of running has me a little worried. I am thinking of swapping the Friday run session for a medium bike and then doing the long run on Saturday and the long bike on a Sunday. 

Trawling the web I see many people who believe that the Fink plan is bike light. I also see examples of people who have done well on perhaps, less than the 'norm', run training.

Should I go with my gut feeling or should I stop second guessing the Finkmeister General?

I'm solely looking to finish but being able to enjoy the day, if that makes any difference.

sweetfeet...    pirate
08/01/2013 at 13:10

One hour run in the dark for me this morning. First week stepped up from 45 mins. I thought 5.45am was a bit urgent to be getting up BBT an hour earlier and I would have definitely struggled. Good on ya. 

Once I was out there it was fine though it's so mild this 'winter'. I'm sure it will all go Siberian shortly...

Swim sesh #1 for the third time tonight.

sweetfeet...    pirate
08/01/2013 at 13:13

UB I'm just going along with the plan as-is and not thinking about it but lots of people adjust to taste. You need to be happy with your training.

The long bike just keeps rising steadily and should give me enough for the day. I'm doing VLM too so that and the extra running in the plan will hopefully leave me strong off the bike on race day.

08/01/2013 at 13:27

I was thinking about adding a 60 100rpm spin on mondays to freshen up the legs - competitive plan has more bike in it I think.

08/01/2013 at 14:04

UB which fink plan are you following as week 9 on the intermediate one has 4:30 total for the bike and 3:30 total for the run?

From reading on this board some who have done a few ironmans say that the run bike training is interchangeable so if you can't run then bike that time instead.

Edited: 08/01/2013 at 14:05
08/01/2013 at 14:23

Sorry yes, I don't mean the total time per se, more the frequency. I'm not seeing why there is, in effect, only one long (or even medium) bike session per week but there are three medium/long runs per week (for me, classed as 1 hour +)

I think I'm starting to convince myself. Hurdle one is getting to the start line and if I feel that swapping a run/bike session around would be to my benefit then I guess I should just do it.

It's all about the bike, right?

Having said that, I may see how the first few weeks go. I am fully intending on utilising a run/walk strategy from the outset so maybe this would help me anyway.

08/01/2013 at 14:39

All training done for today.

3 mile run this morning in 23 mins (Z2)

3750m zombie swim in 1h 20m at (long) lunch ssshhhhhh....

UB - if you feel that you;re not getting enough bike in, why dont you use the Bike part of the competitive plan and the intermediate for the rest?  that might bump your hours up if you feel you need 'em.

OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
08/01/2013 at 16:08
Badger
Yup fink is bike lite

Ideally you want 60% bike 20-30% run 10% swim.....
(there was another thread re %'s but bike alot, run abit, swim a bit

Run frequency is more important than length so do some of those as 30 min runs or 45 mins when/if you are handling the volume.....

Also those runs should probably be done at steady......z1/2
Edited: 08/01/2013 at 16:11
seren nos yn canu    pirate
08/01/2013 at 16:12

i'm  upping all the long bikes from the start as i feel it is way too light...........keeping the zones down.......but the times especially when you are slow would not get the miles in the legs that i need

08/01/2013 at 17:27

I'm also upping all the bike rides from the start as well as fitting in an extra bike per week, upping the runs too but if I start to struggle will cut back to Fink levels.

08/01/2013 at 17:32

I'm doing the same. More bike per week and a longer one. 5.5 hours max bike ride will never do me - I'll still be able to see the start line

Mind you, I'm no expert.

08/01/2013 at 19:24

Good stuff. Looks like I'm not my own then! 

Razor51    pirate
08/01/2013 at 19:45
1200 mt swim in 25mins and 1hr run in Z2 yesterday, I'm taking my rest day today .
08/01/2013 at 19:49

Swimming again for me today. Good session but I've got a stinking cold again. Can't stop sneezing and blowing my nose. Think the chemicals don't agree with me

The Evil Pixie    pirate
08/01/2013 at 19:49

extra bike for me

TBH I'm not bothered about the longest run being short on miles due to my speed as I have marafun experience and would rather do extra long bike sessions

The Evil Pixie    pirate
08/01/2013 at 19:52

I think Fink is more guiding me rather than controlling

during base I will do 2 1hr swims a week (coughs)

3 runs 3 bike

M-F is before work so max 1hr

already done over 1hr on hybrid off road (extra slow!) and will mainly use that over winter having only 5 gears (1 I can't use cos it's crap) means harder work so I figure on the road bike I'll benefit from the slower harder miles!

09/01/2013 at 11:16

Brick session done last night, I really HATE brick sessions they are the worst.

However I'm not feeling 100%, not ill as such but I think the kids lurgy is trying to get me. Either that or the cats attacked me with baseball bats overnight.  Lousy nights kip so skipped 6.30 am 1hr run this morning, and I'm going to leave it skipped and just do the rest of the week rather than trying to fit it in.

Could be bad could be good but decision has been made.

09/01/2013 at 13:17

missed my brick session this morning, but have secured permission to attempt it tonight

just a quick question - the run element of the brick - is that Z2 or is it ok to put the hammer down ?

- i do like to put  the hammer down to shake the bike out of the legs....

09/01/2013 at 13:21

I've been doing my long run on Fridays, rest day Saturday and long bike on Sundays because this fits in with life better, but I've just been reading on another thread that the long run should come the day after long bike to get legs used to it. Does it really matter about the order. Really want to keep Saturday as rest and Sunday as bike.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.