Fink for outlaw 2013

541 to 560 of 3,129 messages
12/01/2013 at 19:45

Just looked im my swimsmooth book cos it was handy and they recomend fins that are slightly longer than the shorter 'zoomer' style whatever that means. when I got mine I just chose a pair with lots of good ratings from Wiggle.

but as you deduced I'm not following Fink to the letter as regards swimming but intend to at least get in the same time as he recomends.

hoping weathers ok to get out on bike tomorrow, else its a long turbo session for me.

12/01/2013 at 20:06
SS, I'm following the fink swim schedule but have been doing the drills without fins. They still seem to work.
12/01/2013 at 20:14

I'm with Seren in that I don't use fins or paddles due to injuries, but there are lots of drills to do without them. I am finding it's taking me 1.5 hours to get through those sessions though...

Mr StOat    pirate
12/01/2013 at 22:37

Long bike today with friends. they're getting over flu so was very steady. zone 1.4 average. Spen the last 10 miles in small ring trying to keep cadence and heart rate up. Was supposed to be going to Cannock chase tomorrow but they've had to pull out due to family illness

I guess I'll do long run and maybe Macc forest trails, depends if we get snow overnight

seren nos    pirate
13/01/2013 at 07:36

Like most things there is no one right way to train.....as long as you are getting some time in the pool swimming then i wouldn't worry......

if you have any spare time and energy I would use it on the bike......unless you come from a cycling background its the bike that is the killer..more hours in the saddle will help.honest........

talking of which I'm getting my bike outr ready for another ride.going to try it with a club so that it compliments my mid week bike on my own

The Evil Pixie    pirate
13/01/2013 at 08:57

off for a swim - son has decided he's too tired (he's been in bed for about 12hrs!)

Quick question. On the bike in training I'm using bike shorts but when I race i use tri shorts. Obviously an IM bike at the tail end is many many hours so what about my poor (oversized!) butt?!  do you do the longest rides in bike shorts then gradually increase the time in tri shorts or just htfu on the day and grit your teeth?

13/01/2013 at 09:57

@Pixie, on my last HIM I pulled some bike shorts over the top of my tri-suit in T1 and then whipped them off in T2 for the run. Anything that could increase comfort over 112 miles has got to be a bonus. 

Mr StOat    pirate
13/01/2013 at 09:59
I think you can do either. Or alternatively can't you actually chane into proper shorts?
When I did my one and only half I put some bike shorts over my tri shorts as I hadn't had enough time to get used to them
13/01/2013 at 10:20
I bought some tri shorts a couple of months ago and have used them exclusively ever since (for swimming as well as cycling). I actually find them more comfy than my single pair of bike shorts and they were only ??20odd from wiggle in the sale - Sugoi ones. So good I bought an extra 2 pairs last week. Another one for training and a pair that will be left in the packet until just before race day. I suspect they are so reduced in the sale because when wet they are a touch more revealing than some might hope. Give the ladies a treat I say!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
13/01/2013 at 11:45

Phew I didn't think my butt would survive 8hrs in tri shorts - barely survived 4 at my HIM (very under trained!)

2.3km swum in an hrs ish - was going well until the kids started to appear grrrr  but lack of swim fitness did show as the last 15mins where hard work mentally to keep going

The Evil Pixie    pirate
13/01/2013 at 11:50

slokey you can get away with wearing tri shorts in the pool being a man

I've used mine with a sports bra 1-2 times leading up to a sprint tri just to get used to the feel again or to do a brick

ladies I was wondering about supportive swim suits (being a bigger busted bird) especially as I'll be doing more/longer swims now. Thoughts?

Nurse Ratched    pirate
13/01/2013 at 13:18
The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

off for a swim - son has decided he's too tired (he's been in bed for about 12hrs!)

Quick question. On the bike in training I'm using bike shorts but when I race i use tri shorts. Obviously an IM bike at the tail end is many many hours so what about my poor (oversized!) butt?!  do you do the longest rides in bike shorts then gradually increase the time in tri shorts or just htfu on the day and grit your teeth?

I'll be taking the time to do a complete change in T1 & T2. Comfort wins over teeth gritting every time!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
13/01/2013 at 13:27

so what will you have under your wettie then?

I was thinking pirate top and bike shorts

but won't it be chilly? do I need a LS top? Or try to put on arm warmers on damp arms?

I'm wanting to wear calf guards too - will these be OK under a wettie? I'm assuming so as I struggle to get them off normally so can't see the wettie pulling them off and there is no way I can get them on damp!

iron fraggle    pirate
13/01/2013 at 13:43

Pix - I did a complete change at my Half IM last year. Wore bra/tri top  and bikini bottoms under my wetsuit, then dried off and put bike shorts and arm warmers on. As for the calf guards I would imagine they'll be ok under your wetsuit - try it out whenyou do your OW swimming later in the year.

But above all - DON'T PANIC !

The Evil Pixie    pirate
13/01/2013 at 13:49

me? panic? never!

see in my HIM I was so naive that I wore my tri shorts and top under wettie, used them on the bike (got a sore butt) then straight to the run. Didn't even change socks so got blisters

I've learnt! Guess we have a change tent don't we so  that makes it easier

The Evil Pixie    pirate
13/01/2013 at 14:44

Gosh just been looking ahead and we go from 30min runs this week to a long run of 45 next week and 1hr the week after. Seems a very quick jump! Oh well have done a few at 45mins so I'll be OK just surprised

seren nos    pirate
13/01/2013 at 14:56

i just always wear tri shorts on the bike.........less is better a lot of us discovered.......only one layer and minor padding means less chance of chaffing............

if you are planning on wearing bike shorts then don't wear them in the swim as the excess padding will get soaked............just strip naked in transistion and put them on dry and freah............the same when you change in t2 to running shorts........

if you are planning on getting changed in trainsition./.... then you have to train harder to give youeself more time..............i take of the wetsuit and put on socks and bike stuff and then get going..............

the faster you are the more time you have in transition to dry your hair and change........the slower you are then you need to be looking to save any spare minutes you can

Nurse Ratched    pirate
13/01/2013 at 14:58
Nurse Ratched wrote (see)

I'll be taking the time to do a complete change in T1 & T2. Comfort wins over teeth gritting every time!

so what will you have under your wettie then?

I was thinking pirate top and bike shorts

but won't it be chilly? do I need a LS top? Or try to put on arm warmers on damp arms?

I'm wanting to wear calf guards too - will these be OK under a wettie? I'm assuming so as I struggle to get them off normally so can't see the wettie pulling them off and there is no way I can get them on damp!

Swimsuit under wettie
Strip off, dry off
Bike shorts & top
Strip off, towel down
Run shorts & top 

Nurse Ratched    pirate
13/01/2013 at 15:01

30 min snowy run runned. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Mr StOat    pirate
13/01/2013 at 15:11
1 hour lsr done. 6 miles bagged and 100% jantastic week 1
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.