Fink for outlaw 2013

561 to 580 of 3,129 messages
Britrisky    pirate
13/01/2013 at 15:18
My plan was bra and tri shorts under wettie, then add cycle jersey for bike and swop for Monaco for run.
13/01/2013 at 17:11

I don't know what my plan is but I think I might go for a few extra mins in transition and more comfort. Maybe I'll try my tri shorts on next weeks long bike and see how I go. 

Mr StOat    pirate
13/01/2013 at 17:21
I wear tri shorts for all my turbo sessions including the 2 hour ones. For the road I use bib shorts if for no other reason than they keep my lower back warm.
seren nos    pirate
13/01/2013 at 17:55

Just been looking at finks just get around plan and notice there is only a couple of bike rides over 4 hours in it....does anyone know if it has ever been done by following that bike pattern........that would only be about half the distance..........I like his ideas but wonder if he is coming from a fit cyclists point of view ......meaning emphasis on the swim and run

13/01/2013 at 18:04

Hmm, I'd worry about doing so few hours on the bike, but maybe it's because I'm crap on the bike. I've booked a couple of century rides in May to gain some confidence. 4 hours doesn't seem like much...

seren nos    pirate
13/01/2013 at 18:59

I remember my first ironman,,,,,,,,,,and there is no way i would have got away with so little biking.........

i think Fink is working on the fact that the person can do about 20+ miles an hour..........so 4 hours is 80 odd miles...........for slower riders.there is so much difference between doing 50 miles and a 100 miles

seren nos    pirate
13/01/2013 at 19:00

thats why i was interewsted to see if anyone had ever done it sticking to his bike schedule

IronCat5    pirate
13/01/2013 at 20:07

Seren, last year I did the Intermediate, but binned the Friday swim. I think it's all much of a muchness for the first 10 weeks. Any reason why you can't follow the Int. or Comp. cycling?

And remember that the 'get round' is aiming for a sub 17:00:00, so no real need for huge rides.

You know all this anyhow. You done millions!

FWIW I swam in wettie, swim trunks and a rash vest. Spend approximately 17 hours getting changed in to 2XU long distance tri shorts and monaco in T1. In T2 I changed into my racing short shorts and changed socks. That seemed to talk about 17 hours too.

After 30 weeks of training your backside will cope with the distance. There is no such thing as comfy shorts or saddle over that difference. You just get used to it.

Edited: 13/01/2013 at 20:10
seren nos    pirate
13/01/2013 at 20:11

I'm doing the advanced but even on that the bike on that looks so short........so i'm doing loads more.,.i just can't imagine doing so little bike miles as he suggests and not coming off the bike totally dead.......after missing the bike cut off at IMW I would never ever underestimate a bike section again

for get around you should still need a few more rides more than 56 miles.........surely

IronCat5    pirate
13/01/2013 at 20:23

I felt the Int. was just right, though I can see that if I was going to go faster I'd need to do some more work.

Don't forget you've got the Chiltern100 too

seren nos    pirate
13/01/2013 at 20:45

chiltern 100 is on the 2nd june.........so the same weekend as my enduroman half............they were 2/3 weeks apart last year

Running Postie    pirate
13/01/2013 at 22:50
+1for nurse ratchet's approach, I need to be comfortable on race day and will make up the time rather than slowing down because I'm shuffling like John Wayne on the run!
Still no swimming( pool still shut!) but all sessions done ( all slightly longer than fink) +2 slow run sessions to make up for the swim ones as I have a 30 km race in 4 weeks. Jantastic also done
The Evil Pixie    pirate
14/01/2013 at 06:29

morning snowy run (little snow over ice) HR is definately lowering and pace starting to move in the right direction again ie back to where it was before 3+ weeks of cold at Christmas.

I'm doing the get round plan + a century sportive as I am slow and agree the bike worries me.

sweetfeet...    pirate
14/01/2013 at 09:29

Guys if you are not happy with the amount of biking in the plan. Then bike more. You have to be happy with your training plan and you know what you are capable of better than a generic plan.

My experience was that having a 100 miler in the bank come race day was psychologically important and gave me a clue how long the race day bike leg would take. Other than that have a few 70/80 milers in there and you should have the miles in your legs. It's all about having something left in the energy banks when you get off the bike.

The lurgy has got me. Throat/shivers. Man down. Missed yesterday's long run, today is REST day and will have to see what I think I can cope with tomorrow. It's only week 7 no need to panic. Heavy on the meds and see what happens.

Iron Muffin    pirate
14/01/2013 at 09:34

I did 'just fnsih' last year with some extra miles in the long bikes thrown in. That ended up being 1 century and 4 x 80. I would also add in some bigger bricks, short runs offf the bike dont replicate it for me.

Seren, I agree that although Fink talks 'time' he has expectation of a fast pace.

14/01/2013 at 09:51

The lurgy has got me too. Been going down with it for several days but full on now and hurts to breathe. So, it's a rest day and will just have to see how it goes.

I know fink works on time rather than distance but I find, being at the back of the pack that I would come up short on everything so I have bike worked out in miles and runs somewhere inbetween. It does end up being more time of course so as long as I don't feel like I'm going to burn out I think I'll stick to that

Nurse Ratched    pirate
14/01/2013 at 10:40

I'm more or less doing Just Finish, but it is a guide rather than being set in stone.  I know I need to do more biking than is in the plan, so that's what I'll do.  
Have entered this, and will plan a few more 80-ish rides.  

Then all I need to do is work on my running

And my swimming

14/01/2013 at 10:43

REst day after an entire week off with the lurgy, really hoping that I'll feel well enough to start again tomorrow.

seren nos    pirate
14/01/2013 at 11:17

hope you clear soon Ali......

swim done and it was a new PB........seems like getting regular sessions in does improve your swimming

14/01/2013 at 11:50
seren nos wrote (see)

Just been looking at finks just get around plan and notice there is only a couple of bike rides over 4 hours in it....does anyone know if it has ever been done by following that bike pattern........that would only be about half the distance..........I like his ideas but wonder if he is coming from a fit cyclists point of view ......meaning emphasis on the swim and run

Hi Seren. Just checked my spreadsheet from Outlaw 2011 when I broadly followed Fink's get round plan. Looks like I bottled following the plan and went longer on the "long" rides. 7 rides longer than 4 hours.... mostly 5-hour jobs, but one 7-hour biggie on which I "practised" my bonk skills. I think it would be an uncomfortable race day without training beyond 70 miles minimum.

Somebody asked "what to wear under my wettie", I'd advise minimal mucking about, unless the weather is VERY cold and wet. Tri kit's designed for the job. Having complicated kit plans for T1 and T2 does not just add time.... it adds complication, risk and stress, which you can well do without if you're doing your first IM and worried about cut-off times and such like. Honestly... just worrying about a race belt, sunglasses and a hat can be enough when you're stressed. Do yourself a favour if you're new to the distance... get dressed in a single race kit for the weather, put your swim stuff over the top, race. One less thing to worry about .

Edited: 14/01/2013 at 11:51
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.