Fink for outlaw 2013

801 to 820 of 3,129 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
28/01/2013 at 06:48

Thanks Nursey.

Brick done - bike was crap and the road icy but hey done to HR. Crappy sleep meant HR was up this morning as I was tired.

Run & swim tomorrow (didn't swim at all last week) so will have to think about the roads. If they are still icy I may change to turbo and swim. Having to mess about with sessions due to change in circumstances

seren nos yn canu    pirate
28/01/2013 at 08:31

the plan is just a rough guide EP and its fine to rearrange to fit around circumstances.....

was going to get out on the bike but hubby texted that there is black ice out.......

My back is still sore so debating whether to run/ swim or go back to bed

Nurse Ratched    pirate
28/01/2013 at 09:12

Pixie, I juggle my Fink days around all the time to fit in with my shifts, hubby's shifts and childcare.  The one bit I make a point of trying to stick to is doing the long run the day after the long bike.  Otherwise, it's about getting the training hours into the week (and any extra biking I can squeeze in).

seren nos wrote (see)

My back is still sore so debating whether to run/ swim or go back to bed

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.............let me think......................

Britrisky    pirate
28/01/2013 at 12:37

After 4 days of almost nothing with swollen ankle tried 30 min on turbo yesterday and no pain, so will swim and turbo today and then brick tomorrow. If the 15 min run is ok, I reckon I'll be back to full training after that ... fingers crossed

28/01/2013 at 18:39

Thanks. Both of those worked with the garmin.

I hate hills

Went for a long bike ride today without really planning where I was going. Never climbed so many hills in all my life then got lost then at some point decided to go back the way I'd come and when I got to the nearest big town, took the direct route home minus 1 last mega hill which I know I'd have had to walk up.

Quite pleased now that I'm back because it was good mental practise. There was many a time when I kept saying to myself ok, just want to be home now, I could call a cab. (only I couldn't coz I didn't know where I was)

Britrisky    pirate
28/01/2013 at 20:04
Great training in mental toughness, SS - well done!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
29/01/2013 at 06:46

well done SS. Mind you seeing as a getting a taxi to take you and the bike may have been difficult you had to get home really! My garmin has a "get me home" featue (well the old one did so I assume this does) that re traces your steps.

30mins crappy Z2 run. HR up due to yet another restless night. Hubby has just gone onto his nightshift which always throws me (woke up at 1 having a panic attack that he'd left me and I was locked in the house - ran downstairs tried the door and everything )

Tonight I will do a zombie swim of up to 1hr depending on how alive I feel. Need to get in the pool and hope that the double will make me tired enough to sleep ahead of tomorrow's news.

Can't believe we are on week 8 already - very scary. I don't think I have a base but then what does a base feel/look like?

Need to print up the next phase of "The Plan" too!!

29/01/2013 at 08:22

Today's just turned into a rest day. Can't believe how tired I am. When I was cooking dinner last night I kept thinking - well if that bike ride was Outlaw, I'd still be running a marathon now

sweetfeet...    pirate
29/01/2013 at 08:46

Stay cool TEP. Sounds like the training is a good stress-reliever at the moment. Do whatever relaxes you. Good luck for your dads results.

I've thought of locking my wife out before but never locking her in.

29/01/2013 at 10:07

Hi all...
Bit of a noob question if you dont mind....

Outlaw will be my first full IM... did a half last year in sub 5 (tho course was bit short), and didn't follow any plan - just got out and trained the disciplines as much as I thought I needed to - with paces adapted to work hard at times and allow for recovery or other training sessions without being fatigued.

So onto IM... and with the half feeling like a long olympic - this felt like a whole different game so picked up the Fink plan.
Now up till end of Dec I'd never used HR monitor, so just went on effort to judge my training. So now I've got to grips with my HR a bit and comparing it to Fink's plan - I'm clearly training very different.

98% of his plan seems to be in zone 2... all my turbo sessions are going through zones 3, 4 and 5.

I've got achilles issue at minute so just getting back into running - but I suspect my runs too will be way off zone 2.

I'm finding it very difficult to comprehend how this zone 2 is going to give me the strength and endurance to "race" the 112 miles at the pace I want.

I appreciate it uses different energy sources ... but again on the race day, I wouldnt expect to be using those fat reserves till I hit the run.

Be gratefull for any advice as to why I should be training in this zone.

Ta
Mike

29/01/2013 at 10:11

Horse riding last night my little bit of sanctuary and then 1 1/4 hrs run this morning.

Got up easier than recently but then spent the first 2 miles wishing I hadn't, 3rd mile hating eveything to do with Fink and IM and the last 2 miles quite cheerful.

It's amazing how my attitude changes once the sun comes up!

Double day today so swimming afterwork tonight.

Edited: 29/01/2013 at 10:15
seren nos yn canu    pirate
29/01/2013 at 11:16

MW22..I have struggled to slow down on the run.I have a high max HR and  ahigh HR and had to run 11 min miling to keep my Hr low...................but was suprised that I got a 8 mile PB on Sunday so have faith.........

when you say your bike HR is high.what are you working out your zones on.what is your max HR.......

I had a forced rest day uesterday apart froma  squash game as rcovering after my race.....

today hit the pool and actually managed the hour and felt I COULD HAVE STAYED IN FOR MORE...... wow...didn't though.i had a sauna instead

29/01/2013 at 11:39

Hi Seren.
Zones were just defined by garmin based on my max and resting.
It doesnt (at the minute) bother me that its high, as I'm working hard... same when I was running.. I'd just tweak the pace and effort to make sure I could do the distance I intended.

I've just always trained on the basis of threshold and interval stuff... if you've worked hard - the body then rebuilds stronger (and consequently when you want to run at a slower pace - its much easier as your used to going faster).

So this keeping it slow seems foreign to me and I can't get my head around how it works (both on a pyhsical and mental level).

Mike

29/01/2013 at 12:18

There's arguments both ways MW22 but I'd strongly suggest you train in the zones you will be racing in. That will not be Zones 4 and 5 that's for sure! Be disciplined and stick to zone 2. You will get quicker at that hr believe me. It's hard for everyone at the beginning (my Z2 run hr is currently @ 10m/mi!) The point is that your ratio of glycogen vs fat usage is much greater at higher intensity. You cannot consume enough calories to keep this going for an IM. You can alter this ratio by keeping the intensity down so that more of your energy comes from the fat reserves. The more you train at this intensity the more efficient you become at utilising your fat stores.

29/01/2013 at 12:40

Ok thanks Badger.. thats kinda the information I was after.

Having never done any longer rides (in the great outdoors) with HR monitored I hadn't really considered what zone I'd be in for the full distance.

So I can take on board the energy from fat comments... something I need to train the body to do - so will incorporate that.

You touch on the other point "I will get quicker at that HR". How much?? I appreciate that is entirely subjective... but what kinda of returns have you seen?

I commute by bike all week so I can easily tone down the rides there... just need to get my head around going slower to go faster!

Thanks

Doner Kebab    pirate
29/01/2013 at 15:06

MW22 - if your doing a half in under 5 hours id say fook the HR zones and keep training how you are

29/01/2013 at 16:20

Just a quick point - do the Garmin zones actually correspond with the Fink ones? I'd guess not if they have five for a start - so read the chapter where Fink explains why training in the correct zone is important and then input the correct zones into your Garmin might not change much but could well explain the discrepancy 

29/01/2013 at 16:36

Thanks DK - made me laugh.

Hmmm..... very valid point Little Miss..... was just making assumptions with all this HR stuff. I will go investigate.

Cheers

29/01/2013 at 17:19

Yep Garmins also use %HRR which is different to %HR. Thankfully you can set them via just BPM for the zones so at least you can work out the fink HR zones and what the BPM are for the top and bottom for each zone and set it that way.

I set my garmin zones 1-4 to match fink using BPM and then Z5 I set at 95%-100% HRR as Garmin wanted a 5th zone to be happy and that was all that wasn't already used up, I don't intend to use it!

Did take me a couple of hours to work it all out though.

When I did my marathon training my Z2 run times improved by a massive 2 mins per mile. But then for me that is only going for 12 min miles to 10 min miles.

I guess quicker people would see less of a jump?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
29/01/2013 at 21:33

Ali I've been doing my HR since Nov but then I had 3-4 weeks off for a cold start to see and improvement then came the snow then the stress of dad so I'm still doing Z2 about the same speed to be honest. Only keeping it up as it's currently keeping me sane and allowing me to get out lots but when I think my HR goes up! Sounds silly but even if you think you are changing nothing but letting the mind wander it does make a difference!!

51mins (2k) swim done. Very lack lustre but hey 2nd session of the say and I did a brick yesterday and I didn't sleep.

I figure that training when tired is good practice for the marathon on THE day as that will be done when tired!

I'm hoping I will sleep tonight now. Should really be planning for my lessons tomorrow but I am tired and need to either do 90mins on the turbo or a 60 min run tomorrow before work. Door handle planning again - plan as you walk into the room!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.