Fink for outlaw 2013

821 to 840 of 3,129 messages
IronCat5    pirate
29/01/2013 at 21:53

Fink is all about building 7 months of base training, then throwing in some speed work to keep the body guessing. You will get faster over the 7 months.

That said, DK also has a valid point. At the pointy end I'm led to believe they reverse-periodise. They get the speed work done first to the race pace, then they add the endurance on afterwards to stretch race pace to however long it takes to do the each leg.

Before starting IM training in Dec2011 I did my first mara in Oct (started training in July). So a fair few months base training, which has stood me in good stead for the speed work I started back in Oct 2012.

Also it is likely that your turbo HR is higher at a given speed than on the road due to cooling. Of course, on the road there may be a stonking wind like Outlaw last year...

Edited: 29/01/2013 at 21:55
The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/01/2013 at 06:34

this morning was not happening too sleepy and stayed in bed not wanting the day to start

feel guilty now at not training!

seren nos    pirate
30/01/2013 at 07:17

Ep.no time for guilt in the week..just move on.sometimes we need to be sensible and rest..I did that on monday and then Tuesdays training went really well........i might fit in the missed sessions on my rest day on saturday or I might not......doesn't matter as they were not my loing sessions.good luck for you .xxx

Hoping for a break in the rain so i can get out on the bike

PSC    pirate
30/01/2013 at 07:23

+1 on that.... don't chase lost sessions. The plan is solid enough to allow you to miss a few bits through illness/life/work/family etc.

30/01/2013 at 08:30
That is good to hear. Missed yesterday's run as I did not get out of the office until after 9am and have a stag do in Portugal this weekend. Planning on taking my running gear and if I can get a couple of runs in it will only be Saturday's bike session I miss. Still gutted though as I had a 100% record up until last night.
Doner Kebab    pirate
30/01/2013 at 09:07
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

That said, DK also has a valid point. At the pointy end I'm led to believe they reverse-periodise. They get the speed work done first to the race pace, then they add the endurance on afterwards to stretch race pace to however long it takes to do the each leg.

its not just that Cat, last year i didnt do a lot of speed work thanks to Fink and lost a load of speed so this year i put the speed work in from the start and it is working. One consideration is that speedwork is normally associated with injury and i dont want to train for 5 months then get injured just before my race, by putting in the speed sessions early any injury that is likely would come to a head months before your big day. Obviously im not saying for newbies to go out and trash themselves but MW22 dont fall into that category

The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/01/2013 at 15:08

spoken to mum and temporarily AWOL

take care folks

Nurse Ratched    pirate
30/01/2013 at 15:10

30mins on turbo & 15min run yesterday, utterly pants swim & 30 min run today.  I'm thinking "Just Finish" is an accurate description!

Tired Badger    pirate
30/01/2013 at 16:22

I know this goes against the fink programme but i've been continuing to put in the speed sessions, hill e.t.c once a week with the running club, the rest of the sessions i'm doing as per fink. I'm doing it thinking that it will support doing some quicker stuff later in the plan.

Iron Muffin    pirate
30/01/2013 at 16:23

Good debate on speed work. I did none last year as an IM newbie, even when Fink started dropping it in, I didn't really do much.

This year I have a base plan with much more in. Time will tell what it does for performance but it is working in terms of weight loss and general motivation.

I think the high intensity stuff gets the happy exercise chemicals going.

30/01/2013 at 16:44

Like Tired Badger, Ive been doing 1 session a week of speedwork with the tri club, It's a session I always enjoy and thats more important than following the plan to the letter.

rest of my training is all done at lower intensity though, I like low intensity, if I didnt train with others occassionally I probably would pretty much only do low intensity stuff. guess that's why i'm training for ironman distance and not sprint.

Edited: 30/01/2013 at 16:45
IronCat5    pirate
30/01/2013 at 18:00

Fingers crossed EP.

I guess TB and MW will likely finish and think that 30 weeks was too long. They'll probably find out that it isn't about the bike, but about the run. I think if you're already doing half-mara distances or longer, with speedwork then the Fink running may not need to be followed.

Of course, the added stress of swimming 3 x a week and loads of cycling may cause the running to be scaled back. I had a few weeks where I'd have to run off a hard bike, only to have to spin out the hard run and so on.

Luckily sprints for me this year!

OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
30/01/2013 at 20:31

MW22
For a solid sub 12 IM, speed work is pointless until you can knock out the ironman basic week without it killing you.

Once you have built your endurance to do that at z2 effort, then you can start to through some faster efforts in

Basic IM week in build period

• 75 m swim
  • 6 hr bike
  • 2.5 hr run

These are in seperate sessions accross the week.
If these wipe you out then just keep building base endurance

If these feel ok, start adding 30 min steady blocks into the runs, or 3*30 min upper z2 on the bike.

In the mean time, do at least 1 interval / turbo session a week,  This complements the long ride, adding power to the muscular endurance from the long ride.

Lastly, how have you set your zones?  Ones based straight on a % of max hr are as likely to e wrong as right.
Friel uses a 30 min functional test (max sustainable hr for 30 mins) to give a baseline then you plug that figure into a table and it gives you z1- z5 etc etc
You need to seperate tests for running and biking
And you need to repeat these on a monthly basis as things change.

This is quite a good read I found today about the benefits of base training and why it works
base training

31/01/2013 at 10:32

2 swimming sessions done but missed the brick session I was trying to squeaze in yesterday as I just ran out of time. Will do that Friday evening instead now.

Roll on lighter drier mornings so I can bike in the morning before work.

seren nos    pirate
31/01/2013 at 12:18

Brokebut trying.what are you doing saturday.weather forecast says dry so I'm looking to go out on the bike.......anyone else in south wales free saturday

Nurse Ratched    pirate
31/01/2013 at 14:04
The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

spoken to mum and temporarily AWOL

take care folks

(((EP)))

31/01/2013 at 19:01

Been swimming today. Not getting any faster at the moment but I know I could just carry on and on and on.....so I presume I'll get to the finish line

Not done any double days this week and had an extra day off so this week's a cut back week for me.

31/01/2013 at 23:08

Seren I'm a bit rushed this Sat, got to have a haircut early so I can quickly get out on the bike before going to watch the rugby so I am afraid I will not be able to this weekend 

01/02/2013 at 09:36

I did that nasty spinny turbo session last night, I'm getting better can keep in Z1 one with a cadence around 90 now.
1Hr run done this morning and finished before the rain hit If I can keep this up I might actually complete a full weeks training.

sweetfeet...    pirate
01/02/2013 at 14:12

Good work Ali. I still can't keep my HR down on that superspin 100+ RPM sesh. And I sweat my bodyweight in an hour. Take two bottles for that one!

Swim #3 again for me last night with the 16 x 25m sprints @ 10 secs in it. Funny how you refine your technique for speed lengths different to how you would swim a steady distance. More or less efficient I'm not quite sure.

60 min run (in the rain) before work this am ensuring beer oclock straight after work. The last thing I want on a Friday night is a workout.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.