Fink for outlaw 2013

981 to 1,000 of 2,715 messages
03/03/2013 at 19:40

Already signed up for Cardiff (I think) so will be trying to beat my pb on that one again this year. 

I probably done less running and more on the bike for my pb than I am doing now, but the pace was quicker in my training runs. I was using Fink for when I done my PB. I believe that you will get better results cross training than you would do just running alone, unless your at the very pointy end with the physique that suits endless miles of running.

I have changed my HR zones that I am training with atm. Instead of training in zone 2 using the 60%-70% (or whatever it should be) of MHR I have been training using MAF so the HR used in training has been about 10 beats lower so the pace hasn't been as high, before today I was wondering if it was working but on today's result I think I will stick with it.

03/03/2013 at 19:46

Nice going RP, always nice to suprise yourself early on in the season with a better time than expected

04/03/2013 at 18:54
That's encouraging info BBT. Thanks.
Running Postie    pirate
04/03/2013 at 22:01
BBT funny really, I live in flat country but always seem to do surprisingly well on bumpy courses, input it down to the bike training. I have a half mara on Sat, fingers crossed of a new PB
Britrisky    pirate
04/03/2013 at 23:08

Which event are you doing, RP?

seren nos    pirate
05/03/2013 at 08:39

right going to try a gentle run/walk this morning.first exercise since Thursdays aborted swim session

Mr StOat    pirate
05/03/2013 at 08:49

Im feeling good ont eh bike and reasonably happy with the running. Finding it really difficult to get the simming in though. Life is a bit hectic, lots of travelling and crappy hotels. I'm hoping it settles in a few weeks, and I can get back down to more of a settled routine in Bristol with the tri club swims. Really should try to get home in time for the weekend ones here.

Im thinking my plan may become more of
Swim: Get round
Bike: Competitive
Run: Intermediate

A few sportives and so on coming up, stafford half and whatever other runs I can find and 2 or 3 HIM events. I won't start panicking properly until week 15 which is when life should be back to normal

Cortina5    pirate
05/03/2013 at 08:58

Similar to what I did last year Matt. I folowed the intermediate plan but did nothing but long swims in the pool or lake; shoulder couldn't cope with huge swim sets. That said I did visit NEWTs sessions a few times when in Newport for work.

I threw in a few long bike rides but mostly stuck to the plan - taking the bike in the car when travelling, or using the AudioFuel sessions on a hotel gym bike.

I've heard your running is coming on, and you may find on the day this really helps to pick up places. A lot of people MOP/BOP will slow immensly once off the bike, so if you can keep things going for the run it may pay dividends. Mainly because you'll get to the bar earlier and your round is cheaper.

If you're struggling with fitting it all in while travelling give me a shout and I'll bore you with how I squeezed it all in.

Mr StOat    pirate
05/03/2013 at 09:04

I can just about manage the bike / run - its the swimming that gets me! I was finding it really handy being in Bristol a lot and getting to the BaD tri sessions.

I'll be back there soon and will fit those in, with masters and so on at home. Hoping to be able to get some good OW swims in when the weather gets there - when OW opens is it not just easier to bin some of the swim sets and get out for progressively longer swims?

I'm realistically lookign that outlaw is a get me round race (the quicker the better obviously) and then I can improve on my second IM maybe even squeezing another in this year. If I get round too fast this year it will be harder to get quicker, iyswim.

05/03/2013 at 12:28

I haven't been able to get as much swimming in either because of all the pools near me seem to be closing all the time for maintance, but hopefully this week ,y closest one will be open again, I am planning on trying to get 3/4 swims in a week and then when the water warms up to ditch one of them for OW swimming on the weekend.

Mr StOat    pirate
05/03/2013 at 12:30

Beautiful 7 mile run done Felt good, and the weather was spot on

05/03/2013 at 12:42

Swam this morning, my body had just got used to twice weekly exposure to the pool chemicals but the addition of the third swim has me suffering headaches and sniffles all over again. I know it will settled down as I get used to it but urghh its not fun.

05/03/2013 at 17:43

My body never gets used to the chemicals. Am bunged up and sneezing every time I go swimming.

After a lovely weekend away I went for a bike ride. Beautiful weather but I fell off. Really hurt my hand, scraped my knee and bent my handelbars. Wouldn't mind but I hadn't even left the driveway

05/03/2013 at 20:49
Oh no! But did you finish the ride SS?
06/03/2013 at 09:01

Yes did the ride Hand still hurts though. I have absolutely no idea what happened.

06/03/2013 at 09:37

Ouch SS hope things are feeling better this morning.
My training week only starts on a Tuesday and already I can tick off a swim , bike and run  feeling very virtuous.
Any tips for remembering the intervals we have to do now? It doesn't matter whether it's swim bike or run, I get out and then think oops I know I'm supposed to do an effort somewhere some time but no idea when. It's all my brain can handle organising time to do these things and making sure my kit is ready. In my best planned ways this morning I completely forgot what the effort was and also forgot to wear my heart rate monitor so no record of the fact I did 4 mins hard pedaling at 45 mins in with 2 mins rest and 4 mins more hard pedaling. Not that any of that was what I was supposed to do.
I think it's going to take the entire build phase for me to get the hang of it.

06/03/2013 at 10:13

Ali - write it on your hand. Problem solved.

SS - get a nose clip. Problem solved.

My work here is done.

Adieu.

06/03/2013 at 10:27

UB I was going to whine that I wear gloves but that's a feeble excuse isn't it. Better stock up on some sharpies!

06/03/2013 at 14:24

SS - The swimmers cold, bunged up nose etc is not uncommon. I use BECONASE, a hayfever relief spray, a couple of squirts an hour or so prior to the swim and you should be fine. You can buy Beconase from a chemist or supermarket.  

06/03/2013 at 14:24

If you can't write it on your hand attach a note to your handle bars somehow

981 to 1,000 of 2,715 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.