Fink for outlaw 2013

981 to 1,000 of 3,129 messages
Mr StOat    pirate
19/02/2013 at 15:55
Had a horrible swim session this morning. Half way through I wanted to sack it all off and go home. Please tell me it gets easier at some point. I'm happy I can get round the bike, I know ill drag my star round the run, even if I have to walk loads, but it would be shite if I didn't make the swim cut off
seren nos    pirate
19/02/2013 at 16:04

Matt.......only a very few people don't make the cutoffs in the swim...you really have to have a total mare.....doesn't help if you are one of those....

we all have bad swims........just keep at it.......

19/02/2013 at 17:48

Swim swum and bike done. Bit difficult doing speedwork on the roads but it was such a lovely day I just couldn't put the bike on the turbo

7755matt - the swimming definitely gets easier. Keep plugging away.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
19/02/2013 at 20:09

I know I teach, I know it's the last week of term but I AM SOOOOOO tired

Matt swimming is boring so it's harder and you'll beat me out of the water

Mr StOat    pirate
19/02/2013 at 20:24
It's not that it's boring, there's just so much to it. Try to focus on one thing and the rest goes to pot. Then just as you think it's coming together it all falls apart.
I'm keeping breast stroke as a back up, but I'd like to FS as much as poss
Lets see how tomorrows session goes.
Might try to get some more 1:1 time
19/02/2013 at 20:47
Stick at it Matt, once it clicks you get big improvements but it's not an easy path!

Couldn't do the full swim today as staying in a hotel and the tiny pool was full of kids and people paddling - plus I couldn't remember what the session was (much more complicated all of a sudden!) Called it a day after 1.5K and hit the tready for an hour.
19/02/2013 at 21:03

Matt, my road to Damascus moment was when a Pirate called SoupDragon pointed out that a) your lungs are filled with air and b) your legs are heavy, so the body naturally wants to right itslef and create drag. Seems obvious right? SD told me to try and lean forward on to my chest, this helped reduce drag and virtually over night I went from struggling to swim a 400m sprint FC to being able to splash up and down for a mile. Stick with it and I'm sure you'll crack it!

1 hour on the treadmill for me today and really enjoyed the introduction of the intervals, so much so did them between 10 and 20 minutes and 40 and 50 minutes. 13.5k in the hour all done in Z2. Loving this HR malarky!

19/02/2013 at 21:13
Stanners from the Bridge wrote (see)

Matt, my road to Damascus moment was when a Pirate called SoupDragon pointed out that a) your lungs are filled with air and b) your legs are heavy, so the body naturally wants to right itslef and create drag. Seems obvious right? SD told me to try and lean forward on to my chest, this helped reduce drag and virtually over night I went from struggling to swim a 400m sprint FC to being able to splash up and down for a mile. Stick with it and I'm sure you'll crack it!

1 hour on the treadmill for me today and really enjoyed the introduction of the intervals, so much so did them between 10 and 20 minutes and 40 and 50 minutes. 13.5k in the hour all done in Z2. Loving this HR malarky!

Stanners from the Bridge wrote (see)

Found it, the exact quote was:

"Its about laws of physics - if your top half is too high your bottom half will sink to compensate.  Your lungs are full of air which float and will naturally want to bounce upwards, so if you slightly lean in on them you will become automatically more balanced."

M...eldy    pirate
19/02/2013 at 21:17

to add ... breathe in and breathe out, dont keep a lung full of air as this will exacerbate the problem as above, continue to slowly breathe out until you need to take another breath just as you would do naturally

19/02/2013 at 22:36

You'll also (probably) be wearing a wet suit which does (from my limited experience make swimming a little easier, imo. Just hope that it isn't a hot summer and they go without the wetsuit 

The Evil Pixie    pirate
20/02/2013 at 06:56

It was warm last year but suited

Matt keep it up we have 6mths still

I know I will be OK with the distance by that time (done 3k this year early Jan) but every race I've done in a wettie I've had a panic attack so that's my main issue! On current times I should be about 1:45 but would like to get nearer 1:30 if I can.

will do loads of OW when I get the chance as it scares me ... so does the bike .... run should be OK I think!

Bike course is up.

20/02/2013 at 07:27
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2158864

How different is this to previous years?
seren nos    pirate
20/02/2013 at 07:39
BrokeButTri'ng wrote (see)

You'll also (probably) be wearing a wet suit which does (from my limited experience make swimming a little easier, imo. Just hope that it isn't a hot summer and they go without the wetsuit 

You can stop that nonsense  straight away........THIS IS NOT AN OPTION........

Pixie.....4 1/2 months not six months.......

seren nos    pirate
20/02/2013 at 07:45

so you do the one loop..then the second loop..then back and do the first loop again...........haven't done the course before...............

I did panic about the hill until I realsied its in feet not metres

20/02/2013 at 09:32

Well that was fun. 1Hr run with the 5 * 1min sprints starting at 10 mins. That meant 3rd sprint was up hill and I though I was going to puke up my heart. However survived it and feel rather proud of myself now. Still appallingly slow but that should improve with time and practise.
It took me back to when I was first starting to run on the C25K program, it was just as hard to sprint 60 seconds as it was when I first had to run for 60 seconds. Which has reminded me I never want to go back and start over ever, so much hard work required to get going.

Definitely a confidence boost and good start to the day.

OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
20/02/2013 at 09:45

Matt

When the swim is all going wrong, just try swimming easy -

ie dont push the pace, just slow down and try and get the technique back.
When mine goes to crap I focus back on just being streamlined again, ie head tucked into shoulder behind the lead arm...
Then add back in the body roll....
Then add back in the catch.......

thien if its all together again start trying to go fast again.

Its amazing how it comes together again whenh you slow down a bit....

if its still rubbish, just do some drills for the session...???

Britrisky    pirate
20/02/2013 at 12:46
I had an epiphany with a pull buoy this morning - felt like a speed boat! What an amazing bit of kit!!

(Are you allowed them on the day? - under my wetsuit, maybe??!!)
seren nos    pirate
20/02/2013 at 13:07

britrisky.there have been some discussion about pullbuoys.........the one argument tells you not to get dependant on them or it stops you learning how to hold yourself in the water properly without one.just use them for some arm drills.......

then one of the top coaches stated that he gets all his pros to use them all the time as it replicates the wetsuit and they always race in a wetsuit..

I am a crap swimmer and the only way i could move up from 2 lengths was with a pullbuoy...........i do all my swimming with a pullbuoy.........

which means i am getting better in the openwater swims...............but if i ever go to a race and they officially call it a non wetsuit swim i am going to be up the creak without a paddle................and I can never enter shorter swimming pool passed tri.....

(apart from one in May that i have been desperate to do and i will have to breast stroke/walk/ cheat my way through the swim)

Razor51    pirate
20/02/2013 at 14:20
1200 swim at lunchtime all done with the pullboy but I do the odd session without it just to make sure I don't drown when doing pool based sprints.

Britriski. Nice to meet you on Sunday at the bike/ Tri show.
Britrisky    pirate
20/02/2013 at 16:17
Well if that's how fast I'll be in a wetsuit I really don't need to worry about cut-off times!

Alas the Fink intermediate says only once every 6 sessions, so I'm not going to get dependent.
981 to 1,000 of 3,129 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.