Fink for outlaw 2013

1,101 to 1,120 of 2,715 messages
Britrisky    pirate
17/03/2013 at 17:12
SS - well done for getting out there!

20 mile race today - way slower than last year, but considering the inadequate preparation due to injury was delighted to have finished strong and smiling - thus making Blackpool mara in 3 weeks a possibility. Dead chuffed to be running long and pain-free at last
seren nos    pirate
17/03/2013 at 17:34

SS..well done there.........I have had that with the hand and its not fun..........after my race Schmunkee had to help me undress........

those training rides really do make the difference come race day

and britsky great result 20 miles and still smiling......

17/03/2013 at 20:45
Nice one Brit!

Weather is terrible considering it is the middle of March Kudos to those who have been braving the cold.

Rubbish week for me. Lots of travelling with work which disrupted things and then my foot went really sore mid-run on Thursday morning reducing me to a walk. Limped around for the rest of the day and ended up having it x- rayed on Friday to rule out a stress fracture. Told to rest it. So nothing done on Friday or Saturday but ventured into the pool today for 3.8k in 1hr 12min which relieved a bit of the tension. Foot still hurts to walk on but is less sore now after a couple of days of icing and voltarol gel but not sure if it can cope with cycling. I can't go up onto the ball of my foot - if i try nothing happens at all, as though my foot isn't my own. Think I'll just chance 30mins on the spinning bike in the morning and see if it reacts. Doubt I'll be running again for at least a fortnight. Only managed 124 miles in the whole of 2013 so far. I'd done more than that in the first 2 weeks of 2012. How depressing.

Enjoy the wine.... I'm starting with a Guiness chaser!
Running Postie    pirate
17/03/2013 at 21:15
Well done Brit!
New10km PB today, I came 13th lady out of 190, I'm really chuffed, I think I could get used to the results this Fink training is reaping!
Britrisky    pirate
17/03/2013 at 21:28
Great running, RP! I must admit it was good telling myself I was running strong on the back of the biking and swimming - today I've understood that running long is not just about lots of running. Feeling really encouraged and re-invigorated by today's confidence boost
Mr StOat    pirate
18/03/2013 at 06:35

Right.

Start of week 15 so half way there.

I've been a bit lax lately, don't know why, lack of motivation, overly tired with work and training, a bit down with the time of year as always happens. Found it really hard to find my mojo.

Work *should* be settling down again by the end of the next week or two, so less travel to far flung exotic places. I AM going to be trying hard to get my self out the door every day to hit the training ssssions. It may have to be more of the Get Round plan now, but we'll see.

Half way there. Bugger

18/03/2013 at 06:53
Slightly off topic but wanted to check with Team Fink. I am doing my first sportive on Sunday, the Kilo2Go Cheshire Cat. One of my less interesting friends was picking his way through the T&Cs and it states no tri bars, aero extensions etc.

I was planning on using my road bike which does have aero extensions, which I am loathed to remove as their positioning is just right. Anyone done a previous one with this outfit and how closely to they police the rule?
Mr StOat    pirate
18/03/2013 at 07:02

Stanners - I think that you'll be fine, but they probably draw the line at full TT bike. I can check with the organisers and see if I can get a definite for you.

They had the same statement in teh Great Manchester Cycle last year, but I saw a fair few TT, tri bars, extensions and so on.

Pretty sure I saw someone riding a kilotogo event with a basket on teh front once, so tri bars can't be too bad

Which distance are you doing? What sort of time are you hoping for? I'm signed up for the middle distance, hoping to get to start in the first wave, then I can get back to help out at HQ, so I may see you even if its just handing over your goody bag at the end

Edited: 18/03/2013 at 07:04
seren nos    pirate
18/03/2013 at 07:22

Staners.i always leave mine on but do not use them in the sportives.......

I am ill again and not happy.......last year i was rarely ill just tired........

18/03/2013 at 11:33

That's it. Run done in more rain. I've had enough. I'm emigrating to somewhere warm with no rain. Right now

19/03/2013 at 18:26
Cheers 775Matt and Seren. Think I will chance my arm and leave them on.

Matt, in the Blue wave, planning on getting away at 9ish and aiming for 3h 30m for the middle distance option, depends what the Cop and not being allowed to get down on the bars does to me though. Will be riding a Gran Fondo Ribble, common as whippets I know but shout hello if paths cross
19/03/2013 at 23:02
Did a 3 hour turbo session today. Not sure if my turbo resistance is correct (it is very old with no resistance settings so I only can change gear) as I only managed 40 miles in 3 hours. That's only just over 13 mph! At those speeds I would be lucky to make the cut off! Will see when I man up and take the bike out onto the road.
seren nos    pirate
20/03/2013 at 07:27

turboes are notoriously out...hence unless it is a very posh machine that has been carefully and expertly calibrated...............then ignore the distance totally.......

wait till you get outside and then see how you are doing....don't bother worrying for now.....

4 days off again with lurgy.......will try for a little run soon

20/03/2013 at 08:37

Great to see your swimming improving EP, all that looking at the black line isn't wasted.

I feel your pain Seren, had over a week off training in the last 2 weeks, was back training last night and HR was higher than normal, so not sure if I am coming down with something else or not quite over the last illness, or more likely still a little hungover from the rugby on the weekend

seren nos    pirate
20/03/2013 at 08:39

i have nebver had such a bad month as the last month.........coincidentally i gave up diet coke for lent........I am starting to convince myself that over the years the dietcoke has been protecting my body from all these nasty bugs and that by withdrawing from it I have been vunerable............I can see myself going straight back on it a week Sunday

20/03/2013 at 09:38

Morning, is it bad of me to say it's nice to see that it's not all plain sailing for everyone? Last week I missed everything but the long bike and long run due to a nasty cold. Back to training this week and I'm so slow, heart rate is all over the place to. I shall take it easy but make sure I complete the time of the sessions. Guess I need a week to get back into things.

Got my first sportive on Sunday, only 60 miles but the furthest I've done so far is 40 miles so bit of a step up! Trying desperately not to worry at my very slow average speed.

seren nos    pirate
20/03/2013 at 09:41

aliBear.it will give you a great opportunity for you to assess where your training is at re the cycling ..enjoy it

just under 4 miles ran slowly......sundays 20 miler race is going to be interesting

The Silent Assassin    pirate
20/03/2013 at 09:57

Stanners, the reason they say no tri bars is bunch riding is no good if your on tribars as reactions to get to the brakes, but that said I've done loads of sportives and have never seen them turn anyone away with tribars

20/03/2013 at 16:53

Have been following your efforts... fantastic!

Want to spend Easter 'pinning down' plan for 70.3 in Sept - have LL marathon in July so will have to work out 'cross over'. Love the Fink 'cos I appreciate the hours vs miles... would really appreciate any views about looking at anything else... Friel?? / A specific 70.3 plan rather than adapt an 'IM'?? Would be so greatful for learning from experience... have already got 'reader of the year' I think!

Thinking of entering first 'Sportive' - is it a good thing to throw yourself in or would that not be appreciated by organisers?? Thinking 'Polka-dot' if not full. 

20/03/2013 at 18:23

Welcome Ges ogt - Someone more knowlegable will be along soon to answer your questions

Slow beginning to the week but a 90min interval run and a 45min blast on the bike today felt good.

EP - Well done on the swimming. It's great when you can see improvements

Hope everyone who's not feeling well gets better soon.

Good luck on the 20miler on sunday Seren. Hope the weather's kinder than last Sunday

1,101 to 1,120 of 2,715 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.