Fink for outlaw 2013

1,401 to 1,420 of 2,715 messages
iron fraggle    pirate
15/04/2013 at 08:31

Pix - when are you venturing down this way ? our local lake opens in a couple of weeks time, so bring your wettie with you

15/04/2013 at 13:57
Some great training going on everyone Planet X wheels mine change fine just in case you are not, doing any if these; open up the brake using the release leaver on the brake caliper, stick the gears at the back onto the smallest cog,flip the bike on its back undo the wheel quick release pull the wheel out of the axle slots whilst lifting the chain clear of the gear cluster, simples reverse to replace
22 mile commute into work this morning on my fixie and a 40 min tempo run done at lunch with no problems its good to be back
seren nos    pirate
15/04/2013 at 14:38

I have just spent ages trying to get the dirt off my bike.it was all over the seat and underneath it.........i hate cleaning bikes,.never bothereed with my old one........

some one remiond me why i took my new bike yesterday

15/04/2013 at 14:40

82 mile bike and 4 mile run done yesterday.

Swim swum and run done today.

I am feeling very tired and my house looks a complete mess and children/grand children don't know who I am

Anyway, I am going to do my biggest week and have a big drop down next week.

Thanks for the wheel advice Ridgeback. I have just bought some new tyres and am clueless about these things

Running Postie    pirate
15/04/2013 at 18:22
3.8km swim done, just to check that I'm ok with distance, happy bunny now
16/04/2013 at 11:48

My 910xt has been doing the same thing recently, at the moment it seems to be ok but I have deleted all my old sessions from it, done a factory reset and updated the software on it.

Razor51    pirate
16/04/2013 at 12:52
4 mile run this morning in the sun before work, the first miIe I think my legs were still asleep but got em going eventually.
The Silent Assassin    pirate
16/04/2013 at 13:13

first comute on the bike of the year 22 miles into a head wind all the way, hopefully still blowing the same direction tonight

16/04/2013 at 17:28

I'm having yet another wobble sorry folks. Does Fink include enough running? Looking at the intermediate plan it maxes out at 1 x 2hr 30 min run, surely that's not enough? Especially for those very slow people like me? I'll struggle to do 13 miles in that time yet alone the 20 or so you'd usually do as a pre marathon long run. Or am I neglecting the cumulative affect of all the swimming and biking along side the run?

Realised Outlaw half is only 7 weeks away and the full is only 12 weeks away. I've been telling myself the training will ramp up and there's plenty of time but it really doesn't seem like it will and there is?

Also I'm attempting my first century ride on Sunday, do I do the normal training in the week as per plan and just do the ride as my long ride plus a bit extra? Or cut back on the plan training to accommodate the longer ride?

7 weeks till a half iron man open water swim and I haven't swum in open water yet (I did 1 practise day last summer but that was before I could Fc) is this really achievable? I know all us first timers are in a similar position since the lakes haven't opened yet. Ack put on a few pounds over winter hope the wetsuit still fits.

16/04/2013 at 18:05

Chill Ali - the marathon at the end of an IM is very different from a stand alone marathon, you don't need lots of 20 mile training runs, though I would do more than one two and a half hour run, as long as it's not likely to injure you. As for the century ride, I would suggest doing your normal training the week before and if you need more recovery time take it afterwards, you don't want to lose half your training the week before and after.

When you had your OW swim were you ok? Most people's issue - if they have one - is with weeds or not being able to see the bottom etc, if you were fine with these things then you'll be fine doing FC, sighting isn't an issue at Outlaw. As for the winter pounds, neoprene is very stretchy

seren nos    pirate
16/04/2013 at 18:42

wise words above

M...eldy    pirate
16/04/2013 at 19:25

Ali, I have never gone over 2.5hrs on IM training .... the key is running off the bike

Long runs into marathon training territory go in to negative recovery as LMH says above

The bike is the key  

16/04/2013 at 20:20
AliB, I share your wobbles. It seems a lot of people are quite relaxed about the whole marathon thing. I am hoping it is confidence from previous marathon / IM efforts and experience.

I am following Fink Intermediate too and have been working on following the upper limits of time but increasing frequency. So for my LSR on a Sunday, when the plan has said 1h 30m, I have been doing 2h (covering about 25k), when the plan goes up to 2h, I will jump to 2h 30m and stay at that until June 16th where the plan has a 3hr run.

There is still that massive unknown about the last 10k though! I predict a whole world of hurt
seren nos    pirate
16/04/2013 at 20:59

my can fit a light and aerobars EP...

but it seems that tiredness is your main problem now......time and eneregy is so hard to balance

Running Postie    pirate
16/04/2013 at 22:06
Ali if your worried you are not getting enough time running, then do the mon-Friday intermediate plan then do the sat and Sunday from the competitive plan. This way you get 2 long brick sessions per week.
17/04/2013 at 06:16
Have faith in the plan! It works thats why its so popular for my first 2 IMs I stuck to it like glue only missing a couple of sessions and both times managed to RUN the whole distance so stick to the plan have faith in yourself and man (or woman) the feck up its not a knitting club
17/04/2013 at 06:18
PS 7 IMs later I still have mental wobbles you just gotta punch through them
Iron Pingu    pirate
17/04/2013 at 09:45

... and you can always walk the marathon .  IM marathons are definitely not as hard a stand alone marathons as your not pushing yourself at race pace.  I've been much more achy after doing marathons than after IMs!

The Silent Assassin    pirate
17/04/2013 at 09:55

Listen to seasoned (read that as old) competiors, they know what they are talking about, Stand alone marathon I will do 4-5 20 mile + runs, IM training never more than 15 - 18 miles, you can't afford the recovery time needed to let you body recover from those long runs, like RBM max says believe in yourself and trust the plan.

Leaving myself wide open to abuse here but try some visualations stuff, try and take 30 mins a week, lye on your bed and try to visulise yourself, dancing on the pedals of your bike up a hill, running like the wind light on your feet, crossing the finishing line feeling fresh and great.

17/04/2013 at 10:36
SA great advice i always say that IM is a mental game
Its your brain that needs pushing to get you out to train on bad days
I visualize on the turbo imagining i am pushing out a good steady IM pace and passing lots of people it always results in a good steady session
I also visualise the really tough races and places where i really wanted to quit and remember that i didnt quit its all positive mind games
1,401 to 1,420 of 2,715 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.