Fink for outlaw 2013

1,401 to 1,420 of 3,129 messages
30/03/2013 at 17:13
3 1/2 hours out today on the bike. Cold and suprisingly windy which took the edge of my first outing on my TT bike ( as well as a few mechanical issues). 100km covered but have come back with the most horrendous cough! Sounds like I have been smoking woodbines all my life
Mr StOat    pirate
30/03/2013 at 19:45

parkfun this morning, nice and steady, then 51 miles averaging 18mph this afternoon, into a headwind for a fair chunk, and a diversion towards the end took it from planned 45 to actual 51. Not sure I ate enough, I felt pretty dead by the end.

Looks like I'm out for a nother 2 hours or so tomorrow morning with a friend, so it'll be a nice steady recovery ride, then I'll need to get a long run/walk/crawl in too.

I think I may be starting to feel the mojo returning

Britrisky    pirate
30/03/2013 at 19:59

Some great riding out there, chaps and chapesses  

reckon we might just make that start line ... 

Mr StOat    pirate
30/03/2013 at 20:32

lol. Making the start line is a definite. Its making the finish line Im worried about

Britrisky    pirate
30/03/2013 at 20:56

I think getting to the beginning of the run would do me ... 

how many century rides are folk planning to do? I have about 4 group rides in my diary so far ... but should I try to do 100 on my own as there is no drafting on the day ...???

seren nos    pirate
30/03/2013 at 21:44

yes britsksy.it builds character

IronCat5    pirate
30/03/2013 at 21:53
Britrisky wrote (see)

I think getting to the beginning of the run would do me ... 

how many century rides are folk planning to do? I have about 4 group rides in my diary so far ... but should I try to do 100 on my own as there is no drafting on the day ...???

I did a well supported large group century. On the day they'll be no drafting, but you'll see other cyclists and there will be non-drafting trains (like a chain gang but 7.5m apart) going past, and supporters. You won't be in isolcation like you might be on a training ride.

Britrisky    pirate
30/03/2013 at 22:47

I'm excited, terrified and inspired in equal measure  - 

seren nos    pirate
31/03/2013 at 09:03

britrisky....perfect combination of emotions

The Evil Pixie    pirate
31/03/2013 at 14:17

have spent the last 90mins in the garage and have come to the following conclusions

1. gas pumps are AWESOME!
  2. I am seriously crap at changing tyres = therefore I will be crap with a puncture
  3. my thighs are too fat

Changed 1st tyre (note wheel already off) in about 20mins

Changed 2nd tyre (including taking off/putting back) in about 15mins

Tried to put back wheel on without having the chain over the coggy thing (no I don't know the proper word ... cassette??)

Attached 2nd bottle cage (sideways removal one) with cable ties and my thighs rub it. I expect I can learn to live with this to have extra fluids as it's just an awareness rather than a serious rub, but slimness would remove this issue!

My arms are now over used

It was a worrying experience and I expect if it was at Outlaw I would be out so practice needed. Time gained through gas pump (mine seems to stop and start so I can leave the canister attached and not lose gas) is esential to make up for battle with getting the tyre back on. Is there an easy way or is it just practice? For practice do I just deflate half take off tyre and replace or remove the whole thing?

31/03/2013 at 14:33
Nice 2 hour run covering over 25km. That is over 13 hours training logged this week. EP, i have never chnaged a tyre in my life and would not know where to start...your prep is scaring me in to action though
The Evil Pixie    pirate
31/03/2013 at 14:42

I've never had one on the road

Changed the old hybrid once but never done the road bike

I never even used to carry stuff as I never went far am now scared

watching vids on You tube and folks are taking like sub 2mins!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
31/03/2013 at 14:45

actually I have a question .... there was a "rotation arrow" on my tyre

is it a major issue if you ignored this say in a race??

I did it right now but just wondered of it was a problem? what is the point of itetc?

31/03/2013 at 14:51
EP good work Stanners seriously come on! So you spend 6 months training your guts out snd blow your race wasting time trying to fix a puncture? Especially if anyone if near cutoffs get with the EP programme and practice until you can change a tube and be back on the road in around 5 mins
I had onec of my mentees doing this in the garden one afternoon until they could do it blindfold as she always used to worry and hope for the best now no more worries
EP that rub could get seriously annoying or painful over 112 miles have you considered mounting your bottles behind the saddle if you are tywrapping bittle cages to your frame they will not stay put use the proper bottle mounts
Nows the time to get your bikes sorted and learn to fix em your first IM is a really stressful event dont make it worse with unessasary worries
The Evil Pixie    pirate
31/03/2013 at 14:56

My frame only has space of the one bottle hence trying a sideways entry attached to frame (no screws to attach to hence cable ties) Not riden properly with it yet was going to try tomorrow

My saddle doesn't have a bar at the back to attach a seat bottle rack to either

How far apart are water stations on an IM? My HIM was 4 13m laps so I just took a new bottle each time round

As I have 650 tyres I have to ensure i have spares and they are under my seat - wouldn't a seat bottle rack stop this too?

31/03/2013 at 14:56
Consider my wrists slapped. Going to go and put a nail through my tyres and see how I get on...
The Evil Pixie    pirate
31/03/2013 at 14:58

LOL stanners not sure you need to go that extreme! I'm just going to deflat the tyre, remove etc. but for now my arms ache from battling with getting the tyre back over the rim

I also have very black hands

Rafiki    pirate
31/03/2013 at 15:14

EP - you can get double bottle cage holders that fit directly onto the seat post, not the saddle, like this one - I also bought a purpose made bottle to keep spares in, which I keep in one of the bottle cages behind my saddle.

31/03/2013 at 15:16
EP i use one of these
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=160795997578
It clamps onto your saddle rails you can stick a couple of. Bottle cages on it and strap tubes a pump etc behind the bottles it works really well
If memory serves me well the Outlaw bike feed stations come around every 15 to 20 miles so one bottle should be ample
The Evil Pixie    pirate
31/03/2013 at 15:23

ridge I got something like that from wiggle but it had to screw straight to the seat (no clamp) so I returned it!!

Raf I'm not expecting to do another IM so am reluctant to spend loads (already spent more ON my bike that I spent BUYING the bike!)

Found this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34004 which looks like it will do what I want ... just then need to attach a bottle to it.

Looks like it attachs to the underneath of my seat like my bag does

1,401 to 1,420 of 3,129 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.