Fink for outlaw 2013

1,781 to 1,800 of 3,129 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
29/04/2013 at 05:49

5K swimathon done is approx. 2hr, passed 3.8 in a bit over 90mins. Very "washy" and got slapped 6+ times mainly by the same bloke swimming in the center of the lane so good OW practice.

Got up late today, rushed to change thinking LATE then realised I can't read a clock.

Upper body and back ache from yesterday but will get out on bike tonight purple I think it was just adrenaline in hindsight and as you say trying not to panic made it worse. I was fine in the London Tri which is a lot worse as it's "bottomless" and full of diesel.

29/04/2013 at 06:41

Dont panic! Mr Manwaring dont Panic!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
29/04/2013 at 06:43

Tri club chap is swimming at the weekend whatever- apparently 12 this weekend so I guess I'm going in too. May be a very short swim!!!

Off to work now *yawn* then bike tonight as I couldn't read the time this morning  Must get a digital alarm clock really

Iron Pingu    pirate
29/04/2013 at 07:45

I'm very impressed with all the OW swimming that's going on!  I'm still waiting for the heating to be turned up a bit ....

29/04/2013 at 08:09
Edited: 29/04/2013 at 08:11
29/04/2013 at 08:12

staying in a jotel on the banks of the thames, it looks lovely, i'm  thinking damn i wish i bought my wettie

29/04/2013 at 08:19

The sea is a lot colder than usual at this time of year but it was Ok once we got going so i must keep it up now

The Evil Pixie    pirate
29/04/2013 at 20:21

ever get the feeling today was meant to be a rest day?

Messed up alarm this AM so no time before work - fine I'll get on the bike after work as hubby is at work.

Shoulders feel worn from the swimming yesterday and I have that dull "ache" from wanna-cramp in my calf caused by 2hrs of pushing off the wall

Get home and change

Open garage door front tyre is flat as a pancake. Not wanting to waste time I get the old bike out within 5mins the sky is black, the heavens open and the thunder is rumbling. I'm in shorts and 1 thin top on an old metal bike.

I chickened out returned to the garage to fix the tyre.

Found the puncture in the tub I change on my last long ride - patch failed to stick (possibly due to the glue/patch being about 10yrs old!)

Failed to find anything wrong with tub in front tyre (although it did inflat uneven) put tub back in and pumped it up. Wasn't happy, went to remove cap and it blow off - think the valve was lose. So have re inflated it and will check tomorrow for a pre work ride. If it's flat again I will run instead.

I only have 1 spare inner left so need to get some more ASAP

The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/04/2013 at 06:34

deep joy son has given me his cold.  went to bed early last night freezing cold and now my nose is streaming and I'm sneezing.

Will still try the bike tonight as I'm starting to worry about training levels - not helped by mother saying things like "will you be alright?" "it's a long way" "don't hurt yourself/over do it" etc.

Will pop to the supermarket and get some night nurse and drugs!

Britrisky    pirate
30/04/2013 at 12:54

EP - the puncture was a sign - your body must've known it needed to rest

80 mile bike Sunday and 13 mile run yesterday, rest today

The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/04/2013 at 14:28

need maybe but I can't afford it!!

Its not on my chest so I will get out tonight ... or do I take a day? Already decided that I shant be doing the hero thing and continuing to work if down as that just drags it out more.

Maybe I'll stay in and plot my 70m for Monday?

03/05/2013 at 13:10

Are we all to busy on our first peak week to post?
Feeling quite tired on every session now but I am getting them done which I hope is enough.
Got my 2nd ever Tri on Sunday, the spring version of the one I did last autumn. I want to be quicker this time but with a 4hr bike to complete tomorrow I have a niggling feeling I might be to tired to manage it. But it will be fun anyway and fingers crossed it looks like the weather will play nice as well.
Then open water swimming on Monday eeeek, I am building this up to be much worse than it will be, well I hope so anyway.

How many times a week is everyone planning on going OW? I'm thinking I need to go at least twice a week to try and get confident and good at it. (When is ay good I mean good for me, not good in general).

Oh just thought are you all busy heading off for the pirate DIY half instead? I'm regretting not having picked that one now. But a venue reccy at outlaw half should still be beneficial.

Hope everyone has a great bank holiday weekend.  

Edited: 03/05/2013 at 13:11
Britrisky    pirate
03/05/2013 at 14:33

I've dropped to 2 swims a week now, and added extra bike, so probably will only do one OW swim (a week). I've done the full distance (once), so reckon that doing 3.5km twice a week will probably do (on the intermediate plan), whereas I know I need to get stronger and stronger with long bike rides, and am doing much more than Fink for the long bike sessions.

Edited: 03/05/2013 at 14:33
03/05/2013 at 14:48

My local open water isn't opening until middle of may so I'm bricking it about the swim. I was thinking 1 open water 1 pool but am also doing the half so seriously running out of time.

Just upped my long run today as realised that I haven't really changed the distance on the long one and there's only 9 weeks to go, 3 of that tapering, 1 racing and 1 away

Biking going fine but have bought a new saddle as I want to wear my tri shorts instead of cycle shorts but it's quite sore in different places so I don't know. On Sunday I am going to wear tri shorts and a gel cover which I'm sure is definitely not the done thing on a road bike

Ali B - are you doing half and full? and are you doing the half Britrisky?

03/05/2013 at 15:30

SS- Yes I'm doing the half and the full. I did 100 mile ride in my tri shorts and was really un-comfy from 70 miles and up and have been left with some chaffing so debating whether I just need to HTFU or wear proper bike shorts for the full.

It has suddenly come round a  bit quick hasn't it? I've only done the Fink amount of bike plus the 100 miler but I'm equally crap at all three disciplines so can't drop one to concentrate on another.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
03/05/2013 at 16:49

My OW starts tomorrow planning my longest bike ride Monday hopefully 80m

I'll be wearing bike shorts over tri shorts probably

just bought new gloves as my old ones had an annoying bendy bit which rubbed my thump

had to order spare inners only got 1 left

2 OW sessions a week for me - no pool mainly bike now.

hope to do own DIY half but not sure when/how

Son got "run over" this week in that the car stopped but he still ended up on the bonnet and floor

03/05/2013 at 17:07

Ouch EP hope he's all OK.

03/05/2013 at 18:25

Yowch EP hope hes fine,

people calm down  as long as you are thereabouts with the Fink plan and getting in the long sessions you will be fine the last few weeks really fly

Brit 2 long swims and extra bike is a good idea in my books when i didamassive PB one year idid the same in fact i biked everywher

03/05/2013 at 19:07

Hope your son's ok EP

I feel ok about the bike. Have done 3 weeks of 80+ miles followed by 4/6 mile run. Going to do 90 and 6 miles on Sunday. Have done the distance in the pool a couple of times so not worried about that just worried about the open water and I still can't imagine running a marathon after the biking so that will be whatever

Just got to decide what to wear and perhaps turn my thoughts to the half as it's seriously close

03/05/2013 at 19:59

SS on that volume of work you will be fine, trust me the marathon just sort if takes care of itself, you are so glad to get off the bike after 112 miles a marathon seems like a good idea , also the releif as a first timer knowing that the things where things can go wrong out of. Your control are behind you and short of your legs actually falling off or not making the cutoff is a real releif and boost

just make sure you get some OW exerience it really is a different (but much more fun) kettle of fish to the pool

1,781 to 1,800 of 3,129 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.