Fink for outlaw 2013

1,801 to 1,820 of 3,094 messages
seren nos    pirate
06/05/2013 at 07:05

I loved the DIY ha;f yesterday.bike was tough as i was pushing it and so the run felt harder than it should have.......

great to meet so many of the new pirates doing outlaw this year........incase you forgot I was the loud one 

06/05/2013 at 08:28

Sounds like everyone had a great time at the diy half.

I rode 90 miles followed by a 4 mile run. What I learnt - My new saddle shall be returned to shop and I'll put up with my old one. Will wear cycle shorts for outlaw and spend a bit of time in transition changing into and out of them.

I drank 1litre of sports drink .75 water 2 cliff bars, 3slices malt loaf, 1peanut butter baguette and had a banana but didn't eat it. All whilst still cycling so only stopped once for a quick pee break

M...eldy    pirate
06/05/2013 at 11:04

Snail, unless you cycle at a vast speed I would say you need more fluid and more peeing!   speak from experience

The Evil Pixie    pirate
06/05/2013 at 12:56

well that was interesting

1st 40-45m I loved my bike, I was so going to kick the big hill's butt and I was so going to smash the cut offs (slight exaggeration there) at outlaw.

At 59m I had to walk the last of the hill that beat me 2 weeks ago (I did get further up the hill & think I went wrong by attacking too hard and getting up out of my seat thereby killing my legs and losing the ability to change gear)

I had 2-3 periods of feeling odd - not lacking fuel just odd. Having arrived home with 1 unused bottle + a bit I think I know why. Was out for 5hrs 40 and had about 1.5mls of fluid

Worse thing was my neck. I was on the aero bars more but my neck got so sore at the end I had to stop to stretch and could have cried. Add a sore butt and by the time I quit I was feeling very sorry for myself.

Swapped normal malt loaf for Soreen fruit loaf and that didn't go down well. Percy Pigs were OK but a bit too big and chewy. Decanted 6 gels (hypotnic?) into a bottle which worked well too

I had hoped for 80m did 66.5 so slow.

Lessons

• don't do almost 3 hrs of gardening the day before a long ride
  • don't end up sleeping on the sofa - I was coughing last night
  • drink more
  • go back to malt loaf and more gels if needed
  • practice more - neck has to get used to it & I need to get used to not looking up so much. Butt will also get used to the bike more.
  • Training runs are practice runs & where we fix things to make the day awesome

Off for a bath now

06/05/2013 at 13:47

I normally drink about one 750ml bottle per hour when on the bike

The Evil Pixie    pirate
06/05/2013 at 13:52

so less than 2 in about 6hrs isn't really enough is it!

seren nos    pirate
06/05/2013 at 13:58

it does depend on the weather as well..so if it was hot on the bike you should definitely need more

06/05/2013 at 14:01

On the other hand I've just got back from a three hour ride - so pretty warm - and drunk less than a litre and had no food - it's all very individual.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
06/05/2013 at 14:02

yep 'tis warm today

Annoyed with myself and disappointed and worried 9 weeks isn't that long really is it

06/05/2013 at 14:12

How long are you planning to taper for and what stopped you completing the 80 miles you'd planned to do today?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
06/05/2013 at 14:14

Only a couple of weeks LMH it's just I feel so down now  on the plus side Outlaw is 3200 ish ft of climbing and today was 2500ft so almost all the same climbing in half the distance.

06/05/2013 at 14:18

So you have - what - six weeks to improve your bike so that you can make the cut off?

Put your old bike on the turbo so if the weather is bad there's no excuse and ride every chance you get - hour long hard work sessions on the turbo, back to back long rides each weekend and a long run in the week. That with an OW swim session once a week is about the most you can do I think - and decide how much you want it. It will hurt, it does get difficult, and the only one who can decide to push through and finish it is you.

06/05/2013 at 14:53

EP just what LMH said worried about the bike cut off bike everywhere plenty of time  to turn it around just spend stacks of time on the bike

just finished nearly 5 hours coastal path run in prep for the Wall Ultra it was a lovely day and have finally mansged to wear out Wilson the Mighty Irondog who is now snoring on his bed

The Evil Pixie    pirate
06/05/2013 at 15:39

The Evil Pixie    pirate
06/05/2013 at 15:47

LMH for those back 2 back how long would you do? is a 1-2hr + a proper one long enough?

06/05/2013 at 16:11

M..eldy - cycle at vast speed, unfortunately not

But I felt fine on 1 and 3/4 litres and pee was normal colour at the end It wasn't really hot and sunny though I do have a dodgy suntan on my legs. I have been out before in hotter weather for less time and drunk the same so will hydrate more on the day if need be

EP - I seem to be lucky enough to eat anything on the bike. Hope it won't come bike to haunt me on the run

The Evil Pixie    pirate
06/05/2013 at 16:53

Snail I don't normally have an issue but that was the only thing that made sense as the percy pigs were OK when I kept eating them

My legs are well and truly used now - I can't think how used they will be in July!

06/05/2013 at 17:07

I don't think 1 -2 hours would be enough to be honest Pix. I think 2 as a minimum backed up by a proper long ride the next day. If weather and logistics allow I'd probably look at something like riding to OW on a Saturday, swim, couple of laps of the Full Boar cycle route, ride home then 5 hours plus long bike on a Sunday - ideally at least 80 miles.

You can work on some speed on the turbo - say 10 mins warm up, 2 x 20 minutes as hard as you can off 5 min recovery, 5 mins cool down.

Do you have any more cyclosportives etc planned? Didn't you originally plan to do the National Forest one this weekend?

Running Postie    pirate
06/05/2013 at 20:12

Not had a brilliant week training due to work commitments and being tired. Then like a numpty I fell of the loft ladder on Saturday, dosed myself up regularly with strong pain killers, then ran a 10km (PBed) on Sunday and now realise after sitting on the turbo today and being in so much pain, that I most probably have got a fractured rib! ( if that is all I got, I was very lucky) I'm keeping my fingers crossed that training won't be affected too much but my have to drop the intensity.

Mr StOat    pirate
06/05/2013 at 22:02

After the DIY half this weekend I thought I'd take the TT bike out for a quick 25 mile spin. Its the first time I've had a chance to ride it since the full on bike fit at bike science. Problem is, I still don't like the feel of the fit. Saddle feels too high, bars feel too low, can't look up enough to see down the road without getting blurry vision due to the stretch in my neck.

I might just unbolt it all and start again tomorrow, or give up the hope of riding a TT bike and stick on ebay, make do with road bike and clip ons - never seem to get these problems like that

Outlaw is gettign closer so I better work out what Im riding pretty sharpish and get settled

1,801 to 1,820 of 3,094 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.