First HIM

Tips and advice?

21 to 23 of 23 messages
Wabby    pirate
18/06/2014 at 15:49

+3 to enjoy it

Due to the heat I took in so much energy drink and gel on Sunday that I felt hungover all day Monday (perhaps it wasn't just Red & Bull and water!) .

I down a bottle of milk mixed with chocolate powder after any long race. Lovely.

19/06/2014 at 08:26

Will be grazing on various energy snack for the bike leg every 15 minutes so hopefully this will help with the run afterwards.  I've tried crisps and literally can only stomach a couple, whereas usually I'm a compulsive crisp muncher.  Think my stomach just shuts down for a few hours and can only nibble a little here and there for quite a few hours after.  It's not really until the next day that my appetite returns.  I will get some salty snacks and try the ice cream treatment (love, love, love ice cream).  Oh well.  Just over 4 weeks and counting now.  Thanks for all the advice.  I'm new to this forum and you all seem very helpful and friendly

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
19/06/2014 at 09:21

This will probably be a surprise to a few pirates, but I too will be doing my first HIM (at Weymouth) - after 7 full IMs! A little bit backwards, but 2 years ago I had a hip replacement and was ordered by my surgeon to quit running marathons on pain of having to have more surgery. So I've been doing Olys and sprints instead, in fact I have an Oly on Sunday week and another sprint in August, using those as training events. I too have a high tolerance for eating and drinking almost anything but for some reason while racing I cannot eat pretzels or salt sticks, chew and chew but just can't swallow them and end up spitting them out. Crisps are a great idea, I'll try them in training the next few days.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 23 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.