First sprint - what to wear?

12 messages
16/06/2013 at 18:18

Hi Tri folk - I've been competing in road races for a while now and have just signed up for my first Tri to see if its for me. I am doing my first one in the beginning of August, a short sprint in Chelmsford Essex. I dont really want to go and buy a load of specific kit for the event if I then end up not adopting it, so my questions is, if you were a novice Triathelete - what would you wear on your first event? Its 200m x 9.5k x 3k run so it really is very entry level in terms of endurance. 

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

Trogs    pirate
16/06/2013 at 18:42

No need to spend much at all for your first tri. 

Swim:- standard swim trunks/suit or lycra running shorts, goggles.

Bike:- if necessary pull on running shorts over trunks, short sleeved tee or vest, helmet, sunnies, socks, trainers or bike shoes.

Run:- remove helmet, change shoes if necessary and off you go.

Guide to your first tri here

Enjoy

Dustboy    pirate
17/06/2013 at 00:11

I treated myself to a pair of tri shorts for my first tri in 2007, they were about forty quid. Still going strong, still used regularly up to this year. I figured even if I neer used them for a tri again, I could swim/holiday/beach in them.

17/06/2013 at 08:38

Last year I completed my first sprint tri in a pair of swimming shorts, an REO Speedwagon tshirt and my old rusty mountainbike, I have since upgraded all of my kit except my lucky Tshirt, that stays

17/06/2013 at 09:56

My friend and I just bought a cheap tri suit and used the t-shirt we got given over the top for bike and run. More Mile do a nice cheap one. I assume you have a bike And trainers? 

17/06/2013 at 10:54

I suspect the advice might vary depending on your gender but a male friend of mine just completed his first Sprint (400m, 21k, 5k) wearing his swimming shorts throughout and just layering up for bike / run as conditions dictated.

Speaking from personal experience, guys can get away without padding for short cycle rides and swimming shorts with mesh lining (rather than skin tight shorts / trunks) aren't too dissimilar to many running shorts.

Good luck!

17/06/2013 at 10:56

Dustboy's suggestion also a good one for the guys.

Nurse Ratched    pirate
17/06/2013 at 11:23

http://webkit-fake-url://3D9498E6-4662-41D5-BFE3-CA2CC5885775/imagejpeg

Nurse Ratched    pirate
17/06/2013 at 11:24

Sorry  

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
17/06/2013 at 11:32

I suspect with such a short distance you really don't want to waste time on your transitions. I always swim in the gear I'm going to bike and run in. Besides, it can be tricky trying to pull on a shirt over wet skin. 

17/06/2013 at 11:40
Bionic Ironwolf wrote (see)

I suspect with such a short distance you really don't want to waste time on your transitions. I always swim in the gear I'm going to bike and run in. Besides, it can be tricky trying to pull on a shirt over wet skin. 

completely agree. I wore a swimming costume with a sports bra underneath (as i was quite large in the chest area) and then running from the bike - threw on a pair of shorts and then did the bike/run dressed like that.

17/06/2013 at 12:57

Did my first tri last month, purchased a pair of tri specific shorts and when i got out of the water just pulled on a sleeveless Aldi base layer. If you dont have tri shorts you could just do it in swimming shorts. Good luck by the way!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.