First triathlon - first Thames swim - advice needed.

Thames swim advice

21 to 24 of 24 messages
12/11/2012 at 13:11
If you don't want to spend a fortune and you don't mind being a bit slow due to completely unsuitable kit, you can always just do it with what you've already got. I did my first sprint tri with a mountain bike and my first OW tri with a borrowed too-big wakeboarding wetsuit. I got some funny looks at both but everyone was very friendly and encouraging despite my obvious cluelessness.
13/11/2012 at 12:46

I think I'll aim to spend under 200 for a secnd hand bike.  I got offered a Giant Defy roadbike for £260 but not sure about it.  Is that a reasonable offer?

Knowing me, this triathlon won't be my last.  I'll probably buy a wetsuit eventually.  I'd be interested in finding a local place where I can hire one though, to try it for the season.  I'd prefer local because I would need to try it for fit.  When I say local, anywhere in the north west or yorkshire would be viable for a trip.

I am lucky to have a big enclosed marine lake in Southport right on my doorstep.  If I can persuade myself I will probably train in there in the spring.  Hopefully my tri swimming coach will venture away from the pool when things warm up too.

I'll check out that Preston site PG and the Fatman to Ironman one too Cake. 

Cheers everyone.

14/11/2012 at 16:05

I hadn't even thought about Marine Lake- surely in a lot of places it's not deep enough to swim? 

14/11/2012 at 21:00

I think it's about 6 feet at least all over, not the cleanest environment but then I don't expect much from the Thames.  They have a lot of boat traffic at one end but the north end is quiet aside from the wildlife.  

Edited: 18/11/2012 at 22:07

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 24 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.