Fixie for winter?

When a road bike just won't do.

21 to 29 of 29 messages
04/11/2012 at 18:31

After all that advice I went and bought a 'vintage' raleigh flyer off ebay.. it should do the job. The frame is a tiny 46cm so will be perfect for my hobbit sized legs. 

Cheerful Dave    pirate
05/11/2012 at 12:44
Dustboy wrote (see)

What ratios do people use? I am running a 42/17 on cyclocross knobblies. Found a 16 just that bit too much to push and keep the cadence up. It's fine for anything up to about Boxhill gradient (6%) but can't quite manage a 10%. 

48/18 for me.  Enough for a decent lick on the flat, and not spinning out too early on the steep downhills we have around here.  I've managed to get up some short 15% sections on that, but it's not a lot of fun!

ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
05/11/2012 at 18:39
I've decided to rebuild my old merlin mountain bike into a single speed running 700 wheels, yes technically probably better to buy a fixie or building from a road bike

Whereas...

This isn't actually increasing the number of bikes I own OR even bringing a new bike into the house - the fact that it won't remotely resemble the original bike at all is irrelevant the main thing is its technically an existing bike

Anybody else have to go to extremes to satisfy their n+1 needs?
05/11/2012 at 18:42

I am getting more and more tempted by a fixie, come spring i may consider selling my MTB and going for a fixie insted, but unless i can sneak another bike in with out the wife noticing I'll be forced to get rid of one

05/11/2012 at 19:21
ACoops Raleigh Flyer was my first proper road bike in the 70s in purple twas ??18 new half from my paperround half from mum n dad thems were the days
06/11/2012 at 13:10

I'm pretty sure the bike is from that era.. it is a speedy blue and white with red wheels. According to my inflation calculator your bike would be £233.46 today making my £43 spend a bargain in comparison  

cougie    pirate
06/11/2012 at 14:09
TH just make sure any new bikes are the same colour as the existing one.
Worked for me !
flyaway    pirate
10/11/2012 at 16:11
cougie wrote (see)
I'm on 42-17 which seems fine for me.

In retrospect, I now feel less bad about struggling to keep up with you when we were both fixed - mine is 48-18 or 48-20, depending on which way round i have the wheel (I'm fixed both sides).

Clearly I am even harder than I thought.

cougie    pirate
10/11/2012 at 17:07
Or I'm a wuss !

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.