Garmin 910XT Multisport Mode

Didn't do what I wanted it to do

1 to 20 of 21 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
17/06/2013 at 20:56

Evening all!!

Yesterday I did my 1st tri with my 910 and being an OW swim used the multisport mode.

On completion I had 1 swim time with distance duly noted and then times only for T1/2 and the bike and run.

Garmin Connect shows me in South Africa!

Did I do something wrong? Did it just lose it's connection to annoy me?

If it happens again what do I do? Because there was no signal I didn't get my 5m bleep which is my signal to fuel.

Do I trust it for Outlaw in 3 weeks or manually change sports?

WhizKid    pirate
17/06/2013 at 21:04

For long distance you can stick too manually changing sports unless you are really obsessed by your time, mine has never done that but unless you lock it, it can easly be accidentally hit in the swim and changed etc, so for iron distance and for ease of use manually is fine. Before people say you can calculate the splits in your head by adding the swim bike and run together, and estimating t1+2 you can do this, but trust me doing simple maths at the end of a ironman marathon is bloody hard!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
17/06/2013 at 21:06

Whiz that was why I wanted total times as I am right at the back!

I know I won't be able to add 2+2 let alone guestimate my time

17/06/2013 at 21:17

If your using multi sport mode make sure you use the key lock or pulling off the wettie etc can press the buttons and ruin all the timings....for IM races I use the reset and individual disciplines settings...makes me slow down and take a breath in transition

The Evil Pixie    pirate
17/06/2013 at 21:20

so how do you keep track overall? use a separate watch or estimate? Check time of day on the garmin?

I'm terrified of missing the bike cut off. Should be on the bike under 2hr (hopefully under 1:45)

WhizKid    pirate
17/06/2013 at 21:23

Ep - stick too using multi sport then, but just lock it, as for the South Africa thing I think that's a freak ocourance... Brain wave just happened why dont you manually change sports BUT use a another watch on you other wrist a simple cheap Casio stop watch that just has the event time on it.... This is a good solution for both correct?

MTRIumphant    pirate
17/06/2013 at 21:24

you'll find some insight here, http://forum.bcttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9023

The Evil Pixie    pirate
17/06/2013 at 21:25

If you lock I assume the lap button won't register?

How do you lock it?

I used to use just my timex, then advanced to times + 305!

910 was my Christmas present to me for doing Outlaw!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
17/06/2013 at 21:27

OMG! So it wasn't me! Thanks

Dustboy    pirate
17/06/2013 at 21:30

One thing you might find useful, if the memory is empty it seems to record stuff better and be more accurate. Can't remember who it was on here said but deleting everything has worked wonders when you need clear and accurate data to tell you just how last you are!

17/06/2013 at 21:30

I had the same sort of problem in may at my first ever tri. I set to multisport, then did not press 'start multisport', and pressed the 'lap' button each time instead, so all I got was one total time and one elevation on connect with no splits or T's and had no data during the event, not that it would have helped!! - should have got one of my kids to set it up for me!!! It is an age thing with me.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
17/06/2013 at 21:33

dustboy it's a new garmin as I had my original replaced!! Kept on doing dappy things so they replaced in with a reconditioned one.

Trogs    pirate
17/06/2013 at 22:00

My 910 often loses sat signal during ow swim but has always picked up again once out of the water.

I have 'time of day' set up on one of the data screens for bike and run so I don't have to calculate how much time I have left to cutoffs. I can usually remember that bike cut off is 4pm and the run 11pm (or whatever) so all I have to do is scroll to time of day screen and I can easily see how much time I've got left

18/06/2013 at 10:37

I had similar concerns as was using my 910 for the first time on Sunday.

I went to training mode, then multi sport

I then edited the setting so it reads

• Open Water Swim
  • Other
  • Bike
  • Other
  • Run

I then start multi sport at the beginning of the race and hit lap button at each stage, the other shows my Transition times and I'm left with accurate pace/time/elevation/distance etc.. for the bike and run sections.

You just have to remember to go to training and select multisport and start multi sport.

There is an option of include transition which I guess avoids the need to insert "other" but I wasnt sure when reading the user guide.

18/06/2013 at 10:50

I use the transitions button. It's fine. 

You do need some sort of back up plan though Pix, what if your watch were to fall off in the swim? As well as being very annoyed, you'd have to work out how to manage the rest of your day/eating etc.

18/06/2013 at 11:36

+1 for Trogs suggestion of scrolling data screens.  You can even set them to slow, medium or fast

18/06/2013 at 11:40

I have that too.  *nods*

I love my Garmin, it practically does the race for you and even plays a tune at the end!

Shame mine stopped halfway through the marathon really...

18/06/2013 at 13:10

I was sure I'd press all the wrong buttons on mine but at outlaw half it worked fine. It sits on top of the wetsuit so actually took it off and put back on after I took wettie off. Same thing in T2 as it was then on top of my armwarmers. I was going to lock it, but you're right, you can't then press lap so you need to unlock it. When I practised that it wouldn't work every time which is why I chose to take it off. My bike has elapsed time so that's from the gun. I don't have it on the run but of course you could.

Think about what you want to see and change the amount of data fields it shows.

18/06/2013 at 16:01

If my wife sees this thread she won't let me have one!! lol

The Evil Pixie    pirate
18/06/2013 at 17:29

Sorry GG!

Garmin have acknowledge the issue apparently

1 to 20 of 21 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.