Gatorade Half IM UK

Let us know how you got on!

101 to 107 of 107 messages
02/09/2003 at 18:25
Ironwolf,

I actually prefer full IM distance - you have to respect it more LOL!

Paul.
02/09/2003 at 18:27
Don't ask me about results - like I say, I'm just a monkey...
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
02/09/2003 at 20:49
Paul - I'm with you on that!

And when you're out there 15 hours like me, a full IM comes down to a simple battle of mind over matter.
03/09/2003 at 12:11
i still cant imagine running a full marathon after 112 mile son the bike, no matter how slow you go!

rich, yeh I've done 8 marathons, but I always suffer a fair amount of pain in the closing stages. not so much hitting the wall or blood suger levels dropping, but my legs just seizing up.

Can you guys give me an idea of how you'd drop your mph from half to full ironman so you have enough left in leggies to run 26miles?
03/09/2003 at 19:14
Daz,
As an example (I originally come from a running background), I would anticipate running the half marathon at the end of half IM in around 1:25 to 1:30, and the Marathon at the end of full IM in 3:30 to 3:45.
So the pace differs from approx 6:40 miles to around 8:20 miles (if my maths are correct !).
On the other hand, when fully running fit I can run a marathon in 2:40 ish.
The marathon at the end of full IM is (IMO) best broken down into 2 to 3 K runs between aid stations with a short walk through the aid station to get that flat cola down your neck.
Hope this is of use.

Paul
03/09/2003 at 23:28
Paul

That was exactly my philosophy. When I started the run I couldn't imagine keeping going for 26 miles, but was able to just concentrate on getting to the next aid station, taking some fuel on board and starting again for the next one.

Its a totally different feeling from a normal marathon. I found the further I went the better I felt, which is the opposite of how I feel in a regular marathon.
06/09/2003 at 16:09
Guys,

Race photos are now available at action sports int:

http://www.asiorders.com/view_event.asp?EVENTID=2753

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
101 to 107 of 107 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.