Gear ratios?

Numpty question that's probably been asked many times

21 to 27 of 27 messages
TheEngineer    pirate
11/04/2014 at 10:07
O.rangeCannon (kona-7) wrote (see)

i have a sram wifli climbing gearset on the rear of my TT bike, and a full fat chainset on the front..... looks silly but means i can spin up stuff.   its slightly lower gear than a compact / stnd rear casette.  

maybe a bit cheaper too....

But also larger gaps between gears. 

19/04/2014 at 07:20

After watching lots of people walking up hill in Austria I've also gone to a 12/30 just for good measure

19/04/2014 at 18:35
Walking up hills in Austria. What? Nobody told be about that before I signed up. Confident my 11-28, which just about took me up and over some sharp ascents in Thailand, should suffice.
Trogs    pirate
19/04/2014 at 20:55

Thanks for that Farm Boy, just what I didn't need to see!

My understanding of the Austria course is that there are two major climbs on each lap, both of which are long rather than mega steep with the max being about 12% for a couple of hundred metres.

If I have to walk, so be it.

22/04/2014 at 00:48

The 30s good for hills, managed a longish 14% without getting out of the saddle but the 12s a bit lacking in top end and found myself out of gears a few times. Further testing required.

22/04/2014 at 10:13
Trogs wrote (see)

Thanks for that Farm Boy, just what I didn't need to see!

My understanding of the Austria course is that there are two major climbs on each lap, both of which are long rather than mega steep with the max being about 12% for a couple of hundred metres.

If I have to walk, so be it.

that's about right.  the longer of the 2 is Rupertisberg and that isn't too bad - compared to some of the hills you will train on in the UK it's nothing special, just goes on a bit.   the one before that is sharper but shorter (can't remember it's name).   the difference is you'll be on them in race mode so will be trying to push harder - that's when they get tougher.  my advice - don't try and race up them, but take your time - losing a minute or 2 on them won't hurt in the scheme of things.   

no need for any special ratio cassettes for IMA - the rest of the bike is fast

Trogs    pirate
22/04/2014 at 21:15

I've never managed to do anything other than take my time up a hill of any significance!  Maybe I'll be ok after all.

Edited: 22/04/2014 at 21:15

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.