Gels

16 messages
28/07/2009 at 22:22

Can anyone explain to me in words of one syllable the difference between

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Science_in_Sport_Box_Of_30_60ml_Go_Gel_Sachets/5360010677/#more
and http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Science_in_Sport_Box_Of_30_Smart_1_Gel_Sachets/5360031045/

I’ve discovered that I can 'gulp' and keep both of them down. Is there anything I should actually be looking for or is ‘not chucking up’ the main thing.

I'm also trying to get to grips with eating bars but gels seems to work better for me at the moment.

Mitts

Edited: 28/07/2009 at 22:23
28/07/2009 at 22:31
The Smart ones have caffeine in and are harder to wash out of your clothes cos the gel is red. Especially when one explodes in a pocket and then you leave it for a few days.  
PSC    pirate
28/07/2009 at 22:33

the first one is a standard gel - easy to digest, quick to act contains salts/carbs the second has extra stuff to give you a boost including vitamins and caffeine (but will contain the same stuff that the first had too).

Bars and gels are not the same.  Gels are faster releasethan bars.  Some prefer bars because they contain more kcals and are solid food rather than sticky stuff.  In reality many use both.

This is the dream of any ad / marketting agency.  There are simpler and natural products available for a fraction of the cost - but they dont' come so neatly package and are not endorsed by so many sportmen/women.

28/07/2009 at 22:33

On the bike I have wondered what was dribbling on my thigh........ then realised I'm dribbling it as I tend to cycle for a minute or two with the gel hanging out my gob

PSC    pirate
28/07/2009 at 22:50

29/07/2009 at 08:16
The smart gels are £0.70p each in Tescos (about half price) i prefer the smart ones just give that little boost and i quite like the medicinal taste
29/07/2009 at 15:16

>> lurk <<

Monique    pirate
29/07/2009 at 15:27

I go for Kendal mint cake every time over gels they make me heave .

29/07/2009 at 16:30
Ooooh I love Kendal mint cake but I've never though of taking it on the bike with me. Can't imagine that it mixes well with orange energy drink though!
Monique    pirate
29/07/2009 at 16:42
It' prevents bonking,  and you can break a lump off stick it in a bag and off you go, got to be Quiggins though, I am partial to the brown variety. Mint falaour is not so heave inducing as the sickly "fruit" flavours they make gels out of.
PSC    pirate
29/07/2009 at 18:08
another KMC fan here!  I thought I was on my own in this regard as too sugary for many!  Used it to good effect at IMCH and will now have it for every long event. 
Holly_Golightly    pirate
29/07/2009 at 18:17

I discovered the smart gels at FLM thanks to Kanga.  I drink a lot of coffee so the caffeine made a massive difference and now I take a couple for longer sessions but stick to the cheaper normal ones most of the time.  Although now I know you can get them for 70p in Tesco's I might change that cos I prefer the taste of the Smart ones (same as W.H said - I think they taste a bit like cough mixture!)

29/07/2009 at 18:28

Umm, I also love KMC.

Wish I'd thought to get a batch when in the Lakes recently. Where else can I get it from?

Cheerful Dave    pirate
29/07/2009 at 19:08

I also tried the smart gels at FLM.  I usually (but not exclusively) stick to decaff coffee in the run up to a race so the caffeine really made a massive difference 

Prefer the taste of the regular Go ones though.

29/07/2009 at 19:12
Mitten, I've seen KMC at walking and outdoor shops like Blacks and Millets
Edited: 29/07/2009 at 19:12
29/07/2009 at 21:55

Mitten, make your own KMC.  You will need several bags of sugar and a bottle of mint essence.

Simmer the  several bags of sugar on a low heat.  Wave the bottle of mint essence over the sugar, then return to cupboard.  Allow the mixture to set then cut into rectangles.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.