Give me a long uphill on a good road surface

over a downhill on a rough one any day of the week.

9 messages
29/09/2013 at 10:39

I suffer from Raynauds and knew that i'd have to take care of my hands cycling in winter months, but we're not there yet.

I went out yesterday and had to stop twice (at 15 and 20 miles) because i literally had no feeling in my right hand whatsoever - i couldn't brake or change gear

The first stop was during a long stretch of downhill which i should have been thoroughly enjoying but i was getting shook all over the place. The second one was on the flat but similar surface.

I only had to stop for a minute or so but still, that's not a good thing.

I've had a bike fit done. Are gloves going to be any help? If so what am i looking for? Is there anything else (apart from a major roadwork initiative) that'll help me?

M...eldy    pirate
29/09/2013 at 10:42

The question is, is the  problem related to the Reynaulds or to the vibrations of the road and in both cases then the answer would be yes, gloves every time
They will go some way to saving your knuckles as well

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
29/09/2013 at 14:03

Gloves!  You should deff wear bike gloves the padding absorbs some of the road vibration.  Look at your bar tape to, if its old or thin, look at getting some thicker more absorbant bar tape.

Nurse Ratched    pirate
29/09/2013 at 15:15

I stuck gel pads for high-heeled shoes (the ones to cushion the ball of your foot) inside my gloves, and they made a big difference. 

29/09/2013 at 15:58

You need gloves fingerless in summer and full fingered in winter. Proper bike ones that have done padding in help too. I'm known to wear two pairs on winter rides  

29/09/2013 at 16:22

Reynauds here as well good quality thick tape (i use Easton) and padded bike gloves every trip i tend to get it more in the cold beware of having your winter gloves to tight you want dome spacevin there for a nice warm bit of air also i use inner gloves and wind/ showerproof outer ones

My hands are a major pain after cold swims they can add ages to transition as i try snd get them to function

29/09/2013 at 17:19
Nurse Ratched wrote (see)

I stuck gel pads for high-heeled shoes (the ones to cushion the ball of your foot) inside my gloves, and they made a big difference. 

I do wear fingerless gloves now, albeit cheapies from Aldi. Should i be looking for something a bit more technical - is there such a thing?

Top tip there Nursie, i'll try that.

The more i think about it i wonder if it's my hand postioning? I beleive my raynauds is linked to carpel tunnel. I used to wear splints to straighten out my wrists to encourage blood flow.

cougie    pirate
29/09/2013 at 23:36
Can you raise the bars a bit ?

Maybe take a bit of pressure out of your tyre ?

Aldi mitts are ok but there are better padded ones out there.
02/10/2013 at 17:41

Another option - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fizik-microtex-handlebar-tape-with-gel-pads/

Raynauds is also worsened by cooler temperature (i get problems with toes in cold open water). Gloves for the gel pads, but also warmth. You can get long finger summer gloves. I used Gore windstopper for cooler days, neoprene or waterproof for very cold. 

For swimming I bought Huub booties (did the trick) and gloves and found out at what temperature I needed to wear them as it warmed up during the season. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.