Giving spectators Gels etc

does this count as outside assistance?

21 to 40 of 41 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
01/04/2013 at 11:00

Oh PSC that is indeed an awesome top tip!
SD it's not right to use gels on the bike I'm sure!

01/04/2013 at 11:35
Rafiki wrote (see)
Tools - there were some at the Pirate station,

But Barley was racing!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
01/04/2013 at 11:35

01/04/2013 at 11:38

In fairness re the gels, a lot of that was down to how we held them out.  Some people were holding out four or five and of course, a cyclist will just grab what they can as they whizz past.

If we held out only one or two, we could have made the gels last longer.

I know it's not up us to *ration*, but I don't think we helped ourselves with our approach to gel despatch last year

01/04/2013 at 11:49
PSC wrote (see)
Why did you carry a "spare" full bottle? That's a lot of extra weight for no purpose... I have read that "Every extra pound you carry above your optimum weight makes you 15 to 20 seconds slower for each mile of a climb." How true is that?

The extra "spare" bottle was just an emergency back up, I'd rather have it and not use it than not have it and need it and it did get used.
I never considered the weight, but 1.1lb added to my bike that weighs a ton, before I fitted a big pump, 5 tubes, a lightweight jacket and my tools is neither here nor there and like the bottle I'd rather have them than not.

I had my gel bottle marked so I knew how much was taken. I was relying on the aid stations for drinks, but wanted to be self suficient for food.

Edited: 01/04/2013 at 11:55
01/04/2013 at 13:12

5 tubes?, you not have much luck with punctures in training?

IronCat5    pirate
01/04/2013 at 21:06
Flat Foo..ted wrote (see)

5 tubes?, you not have much luck with punctures in training?

To be fair, it didn't exactly slow him down!

02/04/2013 at 09:46

[sticks BTF officials hat on]

as Outlaw is run under BTF rules, being handed anything by supporters is classed as outside assistance.  so if caught, you get a DQ - that's the penalty for this offence.

[removes BTF officials hat]

but frankly, and unless you're at the sharp end, it's unlikely to bother the officials unless someone complains but that usualy only happens if someone is seen getting some major mechanical help to fix a bike issue.  being handed some food, a jacket etc is unliky to cause problems but that is down to the circumstances and the officials on the day.

some WTC IM events have supporter feed areas at a feed station on the run where you can be handed other provisions.  IM Wales had this when I did it and it was bloody lovely having some warm chicken soup that Petal had in a flask.  after hours of sweet sticky fuel and gels, something savoury makes a big difference.

Edited: 02/04/2013 at 09:47
The Evil Pixie    pirate
02/04/2013 at 09:50

leading on from that .... what is the score with coats??

I'm going get my money's worth and use the fully 17hrs less a minute and suspect that by 10pm I may be getting cold and tired

02/04/2013 at 10:00

same applies EP - outside assistance covers anything being handed by a supporter to an athlete but as I said, it's unlikley to trouble anyone unless you're at the pointy end.

if you're concerned about it you may be able to agree with the race organiser to have something by the side of the course (perhaps near the changing tents which you pass on the run) that you can pick up or be handed during the latter stages, but they would need to approve it in advance.

but don't sweat the small stuff - most are not going to complain if you get handed something late on unless it's some EPO or a rocket pack!

Rafiki    pirate
02/04/2013 at 10:01

Buddha - whats the score about having tools at the feedstation then? Is that classed as outside assistance (as I remember a certain Mr Wiltshire asking for an  allen key!!)

02/04/2013 at 10:22

you can ask for tools at a feedstation but anything you do on the bike has to be done by you - no help allowed.  and that's assuming they have any tools to start with!  and don't forget that many big races (I think Outlaw has it) have a mobile mechanic going around to help those with bike problems - that's sanctioned by the organisers so is perfectly OK.  the downside of that is how long they will take to get to you as you can't call them - they have to spot you or you flag them down.

it happened to me at Outlaw when my thumbshifter popped out - stopped at a feedstation to ask if they had any tools, borrowed a multitool from one of the staff and had to try to fix it myself.  as it happens I couldn't sort it so had to carry on for near 40 miles with just 3 gears!

and I always remember standing helpless one year at London Tri when I was marshalling when some guy slipped a chain - he was bloody useless trying to fix something that I could have done in 10 secs but I had to stand idly by watching him get frustrated but eventually offered some verbal advice to sort him out.

Edited: 02/04/2013 at 10:23
Rafiki    pirate
02/04/2013 at 10:31

Ah, I used to work for the Council, I'm great at standing by and watching someone else work

02/04/2013 at 10:46

Siggy should have been a dq at the outlaw finish line then cos somebody handed him a zimmer frame and there is photographic evidence even.

Rafiki    pirate
02/04/2013 at 11:14

In siggy's case thats classed as essential medical equipment!

02/04/2013 at 20:47

Direct from the rule book;

No individual support by vehicle, bicycle or on foot is permitted except as provided by the organisers. Competitors may not receive any assistance other than that provided by the race organiser  

During the event, competitors are individually responsible for the repair of their machines

Edited: 02/04/2013 at 20:49
M...eldy    pirate
02/04/2013 at 21:05

IIRC you could get off the run course and into the change tents to pick stuff up?        Unless I am making that up

02/04/2013 at 21:38
No, I was just about to say that too. You can take a left just past the finish and go in and out and get whatever you want from your bags.
TheEngineer    pirate
03/04/2013 at 09:31
M...eldy wrote (see)

IIRC you could get off the run course and into the change tents to pick stuff up?        Unless I am making that up

I did that to check my phone and see how my mate did, he was doing Trentham Half on the same day.

meface    pirate
04/04/2013 at 21:52

I think if you find something on the ground it is OK to use it. So if someone just happened to have dropped something then it is acceptable to use it!

21 to 40 of 41 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.