Gordon Ramsay doing Kona

1 to 20 of 28 messages
Blue Peter    pirate
17/08/2013 at 17:40

Apparently Gordan Ramsay is entered into Kona world championship, is this the norm for Ironman? Ie celebs getting places? Im pretty sure he hasn't qualified...

WhizKid    pirate
17/08/2013 at 17:49

Various crappy celebs get into kona... At least people actually know who he is... But I agree should qualify like everyone else, but its just going too be for the press of the event.... Especially after the Armstrong fiasco

Blue Peter    pirate
17/08/2013 at 18:08

I can see from a publicity perspective, I suppose its similar to VLM in that way. I thought for Kona it would be different

17/08/2013 at 18:12

I saw this and wondered, too.  He is a fit bloke so I did wonder if he'd qualified.  If he didn't I think it's pretty poor letting him in just for the coverage.  

17/08/2013 at 18:12

He's talked a good ironman for years not aware he's done one yet

kittenkat    pirate
17/08/2013 at 18:14

It's like honourary degrees, you either care about it or you don't. It's still going to happen.

Blue Peter    pirate
17/08/2013 at 18:18
kittenkat wrote (see)

It's like honourary degrees, you either care about it or you don't. It's still going to happen.

Agreed, I'm not at the pointy end of qualifying but if I was and not quite there I think it would grate a bit. 

17/08/2013 at 18:19

Where's my fucking bike? Hop to it, you fucking tossers!

kittenkat    pirate
17/08/2013 at 18:20
IronScribe wrote (see)

I saw this and wondered, too.  He is a fit bloke so I did wonder if he'd qualified.  If he didn't I think it's pretty poor letting him in just for the coverage.  

He's not that fit, I don't think he's done under a 4 hour marathon, but I could be wrong?

17/08/2013 at 18:22

true KK and unless you had a large celeb type ego you would probably not take the place, reackon he will swear his way round the course?

17/08/2013 at 18:22

true KK and unless you had a large celeb type ego you would probably not take the place, reackon he will swear his way round the course?

kittenkat    pirate
17/08/2013 at 18:26
Johnny Blaze wrote (see)

He wouldn't say "Hop to it".

Transition would be more like:

I've fucking swum I now have to fucking bike, where the fuck is service? *Facepalm*

I actually saw him live at the Good Food Show years back now; and yes the air was blue but I find him really entertaining. He has that little glint in his eye that hints to the fact that he is purpously parodying himself.

Blue Peter    pirate
17/08/2013 at 18:27
Johnny Blaze wrote (see)

17/08/2013 at 18:28

Don't forget there are other ways to gain entry to Kona other than *qualifying* eg lottery places or legacy ballot places. 

I haven't seen any articles about this so don't know what his reasoning is for doing Kona; just raising the  point that it's not for qualifiers only

kittenkat    pirate
17/08/2013 at 18:31
Ridgebackmax wrote (see)

That's a difficult one, depends on how much revenue that would generate for him over his conscience to 'triathlon ethics'; which to be honest you can't expect anyone to have that aren't in the sport on a regular basis?

Hopefully someone who gets into Kona through the back door to the back door, would actually think... Damn, I'm going to prove I'm worthy. And get a shit hot time.

Edited: 17/08/2013 at 18:32
Blue Peter    pirate
17/08/2013 at 18:35

I think he will probably do ok at it, not sure he has got in via 12 im's and a lottery place would be lucky and doubtful... But who knows, can't find much detail on his entry on google just he is doing it.

Rafiki    pirate
17/08/2013 at 18:58
kittenkat wrote (see)

He's not that fit, I don't think he's done under a 4 hour marathon, but I could be wrong?

His PB is 3:36, LA Marathon 2010

kittenkat    pirate
17/08/2013 at 19:03
Rafiki wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)

Still not fast but good enough, and I would take a punt on the fact with his build that he could do pretty well on a bike? However he's never going to have the time to train properly?

purpletrilady    pirate
17/08/2013 at 19:03
Rafiki wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)

Does fitness relate to speed? You can be fast and very unfit. My husband can run faster than me but I'm massively fitter than him

17/08/2013 at 19:07

Maybe he'll swear at a marshall and get DQ'd.

1 to 20 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.