Half Iron Man races 2013

Suggestions, especially Pirate supported ones.

1 to 20 of 45 messages
Blisters    pirate
26/08/2012 at 21:43

Half Iron distance: what's the faves fo rearly season?
Suggestions, especially Pirate supported ones.

I need to plan ahead, as the wife is busy booking holidays.

M...eldy    pirate
26/08/2012 at 21:49

Next year? 

Probably Bala, first (ish) weekend in June
Cowman has been popular
The one in the NF (name escapes me)
Marshman will prob feature again, nice early season

IronCat5    pirate
26/08/2012 at 21:50

Marshman: early May. Can suffer from cold swim. Kent/Sussex
Silent Assasin's DIY HIM. Highly rated with great catering (I hear). Somewhere int' bleak industrial North.

Others are available. Problem with early season OW swim is the water temp. Bala is also popular, but June time.

M...eldy    pirate
26/08/2012 at 21:51

Swashbuckler .. thats the one !

26/08/2012 at 22:07

Blisters - although it's not yet been infiltrated by the Pirates, Cotswold 113 (both the June one and August one) would be local to you.  Lake 32 swim with fast and flat bike and run.  But above all, with the most glamorous and wonderful marshalls

Trogs    pirate
26/08/2012 at 22:07

Believe there's a half option at Henly too

Blisters    pirate
26/08/2012 at 22:56

Cotswold June 113 sounds like a good target, especially because of the fantastic marshalls. I do know that the water can be cold, I enjoy fishing but in June those lakes are frigid. Can you get heated wetsuits?
Flat? It can't possibly get any flatter. (Reminds me, a local was after a PB course, Cricklade springs to mind).

Do you know, our Tri club were unfamiliar with Pirates....obviously the shipmates meed to do some serious (what's the phrase?) marketing or marauding?

TR
26/08/2012 at 23:10

NF race is the Swashbuckler. June 2nd next year. Swim can be a bitch cos of the current though, and its usually a very early start. I hope to be there.

Dubai Dave    pirate
28/08/2012 at 13:07

Marshman is in the middle of nowhere. The Romney marsh is stuck in the 17th Century and is worth a visit for that alone. 

28/08/2012 at 17:48

Beaver Middle has shallow water and higher water temp, i read somewhere.  Late May.

Blisters    pirate
28/08/2012 at 21:34

Macclesfield? Ah, that sounds promising: stay with my sister in Buxton, her hubby does an occasional tri as well. (swims like a fish, but bikes & runs like one too). And I'd get to drive the Cat & Fiddle on the way.

Romney Marsh? I know where that is. My wife is from Kent. We got married there. There's a nice view over the marshes, and on a clear day you can see Dungeness Nuclear Power Station. Is that 17th century too?

Middle Beaver? You've got to be joking, they might as well call it Lady Garden.

OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
28/08/2012 at 21:54

+ you get a t-shirt with 'i licked the beaver!'  

its got to be done

I also like the Swashbuckler and the Cowman, but feel I should get to Bala next year.

29/08/2012 at 15:09

If you fancy a trip up north try Aberfeldy, a good one if you like hills!

Mr StOat    pirate
29/08/2012 at 21:51

HIM in Macclesfield? Really? Cool

Blisters    pirate
29/08/2012 at 23:18

Buxton sprint tri? There's no way on God's planet that anyone can sprint so much as 100m in Buxton without at least one bitch of a hill to climb. Even the bleeding lakes are on a slope.

30/08/2012 at 08:31

If anyone fancies a trip off shore then the Guernsey Granite Man may be worth a look.

The swim will be an open water English Channel affair (which on a clear day offers a view of the French coastline) before the bike and run legs that loop around the island's coast line. Both are flat and, winder permitting, fast.

While not yet officially announced its usually a biannual affair with a date in early Sept.

I'll be making the trip home for the event which will be my A race for next year. Links etc. to follow.

Edited: 30/08/2012 at 09:33
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
30/08/2012 at 11:45

ooooh that sounds interesting!

30/08/2012 at 13:33

Dodgy marshals at Cotswold from what I remember

It is more or less flat on the bike (1 bump each lap) & decent run with some off-road bits.

If you want a really flat course (although it was hot on the run) then have a look at the Ely 1/2IM which took place this month

30/08/2012 at 16:51
IronDonkey wrote (see)

The swim will be an open water English Channel affair (which on a clear day offers a view of the French coastline).

Who for? The swimmers?

30/08/2012 at 19:05

Yep.  A quick glance over (most likely) the right shoulder on the swim should give you a nice if a little distant view of the coast.

1 to 20 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.