half outlaw

241 to 260 of 573 messages
01/05/2013 at 10:31

Yep maths and all the women are in the last wave so we get the least time before the cut off. They've obviously heard all about our wondrous speed swimming

Also you can only rack your bike between 5am-6.20am Sunday morning which seems brave to me. Racking 1300 bikes in 80 mins? They must be organised, I guess we drop of transition bags at the same time too.

I know they've got to do this though as they've got the national sprint tri going on, on Saturday.

Fun, fun fun. I'd better get in the lake and get swimming., oh an buy some tinted goggles.

01/05/2013 at 11:02

It's a big transition area and numbered so at least there's space. It'll be the helmet/bike sticker checks that will hold people up. 

It'll be a lot easier for us teams than for those with a lof of transition kit.

One tip for those camping.  At the 2011 Outlaw I got up and did all the transitiony bits immediately then came back to the tent for breakfast, chill out and get ready.  This could be a good strategy here.

01/05/2013 at 11:51

Ali - yeah, while I wouldn't want to start first and have all the speedy guys swimming over the top of me, I am slow at everything so have less time to reach all the cutoffs. oh well!

01/05/2013 at 12:27

Thanks for the tip Timmy - I'll be camping along with a friend + OH. I'm pretty sure I haven't trained enough as it has taken much longer to recover from my frist marathon a few weeks ago. I think the best I can do is maintain marathon fitness and hope for the best.

It all feels a bit abstract at the moment.. fingers crossed.

01/05/2013 at 14:40

Mathschick - as someone with experience of going close to the cutoff, I would have thought the cutoff should be from when you start not from when the first wave starts?

01/05/2013 at 14:59

erm, the cutoffs are all in respect of the start of the final wave, so you have to be out of T1 1 hour 8 mins after the start of the final wave - still gives the people in the first wave more time. Anyway, moot point, just need to make sure I beat the cutoffs!!

01/05/2013 at 15:08

The race info says "All competitors must have started their cycle by 1 hour and I minutes after the start of the final wave. After this transition exit will  be closed and any athlete still within the swim or transition will be stopped. "

So setting off at 6:52 instead of 6:30 gives you 20 minutes less time to finish the swim and be out on the bike.

It is what it is and I know it would be hard to marshall a rolling cut off time.

01/05/2013 at 15:46

I camped at Outlaw last year, I will probably have porridge, then rack, then have a second small breakfast, as I burn up so much nervous energy.

ACoops, it will be good to meet up with you again.

01/05/2013 at 16:14

Sorry that should say "1 hour and 8 minutes"

01/05/2013 at 16:27
AliBear30 wrote (see)

The race info says "All competitors must have started their cycle by 1 hour and I minutes after the start of the final wave. After this transition exit will  be closed and any athlete still within the swim or transition will be stopped. "

So setting off at 6:52 instead of 6:30 gives you 20 minutes less time to finish the swim and be out on the bike.

It is what it is and I know it would be hard to marshall a rolling cut off time.

But the cutoff was always 1h 08min, so you've got no less time - i.e. the cut off hasn't reduced at all.   

You'll be fine...Holme Pierrepoint is just like a big swimming pool and you've got to swim half a length turn round and half a length back.  You can swim two half lengths in a pool can't you?

01/05/2013 at 17:20

Timmy_G I like your style of thinking! Yep I 'm not saying we have less time to reach the cut off than was advertised. But those in the first group do get 20 mins extra and I admit to being a bit jealous.

But I would rather that than risk getting swum over by the fast boys.

01/05/2013 at 17:48

Alibear I think the women will be competitive as well.

Timmy great thinking 2 lengths of a large OW Pool.

01/05/2013 at 18:05

Does that mean we have to float around for 20mins in cold water befor we can start or do we not get in til we're ready to go

01/05/2013 at 18:36

I should think it will be not getting in until we're ready to go, with the number of participants. I remember standing in the cold dark water thinking it looked like a horrible green soup because all the feet had disturbed algae and weed.
I did a big swim at Dorney last year and you had to wait around until your wave was called to get in.

02/05/2013 at 08:06

Thanks.Can't see the water being Mediterranean like in 4 weeks

02/05/2013 at 10:33

You definitely won't have to wait in the water for 20mins.  In the real Outlaw you start just in the water, so your wave will probably move in a few mins before start time.

The water at HPP is fine, can be a bit weedy but the relays should have cleared that out the day before   

Just be careful of the slipway down into the water - it can be quite green and slippery.  One of the years I did the Outlaw, I saw a guy slip quite heavily onto his back - not a great way to start a long day.

02/05/2013 at 10:47

The info pack says
All swimmers will be required to pass over a check matt before starting the swim. All swimmer need to pass the check matt 10 mins prior to the start of their wave. The swim will start in the water using half the width of the lake, so it will be approx. 50 meters wide. There are 2 separate bays bay 1for simmers under 40mins bay 2 for swimmers over 40 mins.

So we all waves don't need to be at the start at the same time.

It also says starts will be deep water starts and athletes will be given warnings at 5 mins, 3mins and 2 mins and final warning at 1 minute.

So I think it will be easy to get right. I hope so anyway as I'm well known for being rather distracted and uncoordinated on race day.

You can download the full pack from the website

http://dload.osb.s3.amazonaws.com/info/outlawhalf13info.pdf

Edited: 02/05/2013 at 10:47
03/05/2013 at 18:50

Big training session today, swim, bike, run which showed me I need to fuel better to run.  All good until that bit and I just had no energy for a little 45 min run.!!!

13/05/2013 at 18:18

Has anyone recce'd the route yet?

13/05/2013 at 18:31

I only know the roads that were on the Outlaw full route in 2010/11 - I got to see a lot of those

Won't get to do a recce before the half - will just have to find out on the day!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.