half outlaw

281 to 300 of 574 messages
16/05/2013 at 12:41

Little sister - where are you? I live in Southwell - Oxton has become one of my loops - well only done that loop twice but not managed to get up it either time - I am hoping race day adrenaline and bloody-mindedness will get me up it.

it is good to know I am not the only one worrying about everything 

Southern snail, I am a little worried about the swim cutoff too, haven't been in OW yet this year, more worried about the bike cutoff. If I make those 2 cutoffs I only have the run to worry about, and I know I can walk a half marathon in the cutoff time for that so I will be fine once I am off the bike

16/05/2013 at 12:48

I live north of Mansfield, but I occassionally take a loop down through Oxton to Southwell & back! Not this weekend though, got Stilletos on Wheels to occupy me!    It's a women only mountainbike race near Sheffield!

Don't be afraid to use your "Granny gear" on Oxton Hill if you need to, make sure you've changed gear before you start to struggle! Another trick is to focus on a point a little bit up the road and ride to it, then focus on the next point you want to get to, then the next (fence post, trees, signs, etc...). The main thing is to find a tempo you can ride at comfortably!

Edited: 16/05/2013 at 12:52
16/05/2013 at 13:43

Numpty question is 1 in 13 easier or harder than 1 in 10, I think it's easier but want to check.

16/05/2013 at 14:17

Easier!!

1 in 13 you go up 1 foot (or meter, or inch, or mile, etc) for every 13 you travel horizontally
1 in 10 you go up 1 foot for every 10 you travel horizontally!

If a gradient is indicated as "%" then the higher the % is the steeper it will be. If it is shown as "1 in " then the smaller the second value the steeper it is.

16/05/2013 at 14:17

Well bike ride done including 11% bit. Glad I did it for 2 reasons. First the phsycologial bit. It actually wasn't that bad. I realised I'd done worse and I didn't even go into the granny ring (is that the smallest of the 3) and the second reason was that I promised myself before I got there that if I did it I would manage to swim 2 loops on saturday in open water

Mathschick - been open water twice now and it was horrible. 400m completed

In the pool I can do the half distance in about 40mins but panic breaststroke and not being able to breathe makes me doubt it. How long do we get? 1hour?

16/05/2013 at 17:25

Southern Snail, I am going to Thorpe on Sunday, hope to do 1600m, I increase a 400m loop each time I go, so that I feel I am making progress.

I also have decided not to worry about the hill, I know that I walk up 17% and 20% hills so am hoping I could cycle up anything less.

19/05/2013 at 20:28

Im going down to Padstow Cornwall on Friday 24th May and back for the Half Outlaw on 1st June....... its going to be hard to keep the training in full swing

I think Im going to leave my bike at home and just swim and run

Im shitting it really 

My wife thinks it will be a nice relaxing family holiday but I have the Full Outlaw in a few weeks also

19/05/2013 at 20:33

I did the route for the half on Saturday and found it a really great route, some real fast bits.   I have decided to put my Tri bars back on for it.  

Slightly worried about no open water sessions as yet as I have a new wetsuit that I have yet to try.  I'm planning on getting to Thorpe lakes on Tuesday just to put my mind to rest.

19/05/2013 at 20:44

saffers ...... how bad are the hills? and what are the roads like?

19/05/2013 at 20:51

The hills really are nothing to worry about. Oxton hill goes on a little but not major.  The roads are good, the second section of the route was much quieter and faster until you got to the speed humps leading to the National Watersporta Centre. Although it was windy and last year on the full distance it was windy too........is it always blinking windy in Nottingham?

19/05/2013 at 21:11

I think its always windy in the UK

20/05/2013 at 16:29

Yes, probably right but I do seem to notice it on race days much more than usual 

rest day for me today, thank goodness as my Achilles seems to want to come back and play so I am telling it to bugger off!

22/05/2013 at 12:37

I have picked up a rather annoying cold. Hoping it goes away asap. At what point does racing become dangerous in this kind of situation? I think I'll be fine by race day - but any professional opinions would be appreciated.

22/05/2013 at 13:16

I'm not professional, but usual rule is, if the cold is neck and above, you'll be fine, if it's in your chest, then stop training or racing.

22/05/2013 at 13:29
Cake wrote (see)

Timmy you sexy beast long time no see.

Is anyone camping the night before? I'm waiting from the boss to see if it's ok to go feral for the weekend got to many mates doing this not to say hello. 

I will be, but I'm volunteering not racing!

22/05/2013 at 14:54
Cake wrote (see)

Timmy you sexy beast long time no see.

Is anyone camping the night before? I'm waiting from the boss to see if it's ok to go feral for the weekend got to many mates doing this not to say hello. 

Probably camping.  And I'm just doing the bike in a relay team, so can hang around while the runners finish!!

22/05/2013 at 17:47

Shall we have a list of who is racing?  Or is there one and I have missed it?

22/05/2013 at 18:00

not sure if there was a list at the beginning of the thread, so let's make a new one:

racing

mathschick
saffers
steadyCJ

it would be good to meet up with people at one of the race briefings - I haven't actually met anyone off here except for cake briefly. Then I will know which friendly faces to look for on Sunday morning when I am looking like a rabbit caught in the headlights

22/05/2013 at 18:02

I am already on the list and have 2 friends also doing it, N and S.

22/05/2013 at 18:34

Would be lovely to meet some friendly faces on the Saturday.  Not sure when I will get there, aiming for the briefing at 1 and then have the 3pm one to fall back on.  I shall be in my pirate jacket smiling 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.