Has triathlon had any negative impacts on your life?

Even if only temporarily.

21 to 40 of 48 messages
17/09/2013 at 13:13

I think my daughter deliberately gets it wrong so she can spend some quality time with her Daddy... I spoke to the OH about setting up the turbo in the living room so I could turbo while helping with home work, but she vetoed it with a single look...

17/09/2013 at 13:14
Ridgebackmax wrote (see)

Overall more poditives than negatives apart from my bank balance but then i have swapped costly unhealthy habits p!ssing up, smoking for a costly healthy habit so thats a positive one, major negative for me (according to Mrs RBM is atendency to overtrain which makes me a moody sullen bugger

I live with a triathlete who is training for his first ironman, amongst the other marathons and half marathons etc that he does.  Whilst I am incredibly proud of what he has achieved, attend all his races with him (as his support 'crew' and number 1 supporter) and never moan about the time he spends training, I agree with Mrs RBM that the amount of training he does can sometimes make him incredibly moody and sullen - which is something that he will not or cannot accept.  It's also a bit weird as I thought exercise was meant to make you feel good.....

That is the only thing that I can really say is a down side.  On the up side, watching him swim training in open water encouraged me to have a go myself and now I am planning to learn to swim properly (i.e. with my face in the water) over the winter and potentially enter a swimming event next year.  This takes the pressure off him when he's training and then everyone's happy.

I'm undecided on whether I'd enter a sprint tri myself, but as I currently can't run, i don't have to make that decision anytime soon.

17/09/2013 at 13:24

Gone from almost 15st to almost 12 stones, sprint tri last year at 43 to Ironman this year at 44, fitter than I've ever been, and wondering why I didn't start this years ago...

So 98.43% positive.  The other whatever % was the initial friction with my wife when I entered Ironman and started training.  But she went from passively supportive (OK with me doing it but not really interested) to coming to Bolton with the kids and supporting me massively.

And next year she's looking forward to weekends in Windsor, and Tenby (twice) ... so merging races with family holidays has begun.  Bolton ... not really a holiday.

I've already mentioned IM Canada in 2015.  Apparently there are bears on the run course.  Gnarly.

Lee the Pea    pirate
17/09/2013 at 13:30

Beth, is there any reason you can't run, e.g. medical? (btw you don't have to say so on here!).  I just mean if there isn't, and it is more of a fear of not being good at it etc., fear not.  I started running by going for walks and trying to run between two lamposts, and before long you can run between a few, and so on. You can run walk too, so i'm sure you can soon get up to the 5K required for a sprint

I'd say only positives with triathlon. I got fitter with it, met a lot of great people who I still see, and made me realise you can do anything if you want it enough.  While I DNF'd my only IM attempt so far, then good uber lazy and did nothing for a while, i'm getting back into the swing of training, and I have some plans for a return to tri.  So for me i've definitely gained more than lost with tri. 

I'm single though, so I can do what I want.  I must admit i think it must be hard for partners who have no interest in such things, if they're left to do everything when their partner is off training, esp. if they have kids.  The other side of the coin of course is it must be frustrating not to be able to go and do what you want when. I'm not saying that those folk will do nothing to help, of course, but you get my drift. You need to have the support of your partner, and if you don't then i'm not sure it will lead to a happy outcome, at least not for everyone! Lol.  I'd be quite happy to have a partner who trained loads - I like having time to myself anyway. If I was left with everything to do though, i'd just not do some of it.  They'd get the hint

17/09/2013 at 13:37

It's made me even more competitive, to the point I now want world domination, of everything!!

Rafiki    pirate
17/09/2013 at 13:41

I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find negatives in anything if you were that kind of person. But personally, can't think of anything negative about this tri malarkey!

As for the finances (KK - please think of something new to whinge about, the no money thing is getting really boring), like RBM, I swapped unhealthy past times for healthy ones so probably have more pennies now (But I used to drink and smoke a lot).

Mrs F - are there anymore like you at home??

17/09/2013 at 13:52

Pete - oh how I understand you...take the dogs out, commute, work, daughter etc and then try and get and early night and my OH sulks. he can't join in because he plays football for a living so he trains while I'm at work and boy he grumbles and picks fault with everything I do.

I feel like a hamster on a wheel running constantly and never getting anywhere. 

17/09/2013 at 14:10
Rafiki wrote (see)
 (But I used to drink  a lot).

How has this changed, exactly?

Rafiki    pirate
17/09/2013 at 14:12

my legal team advise me not to answer that question

17/09/2013 at 14:22

17/09/2013 at 14:38

Yes, I spend way too much time on here, when I could be doing something constructive 

17/09/2013 at 14:58
Rafiki wrote (see)

I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find negatives in anything if you were that kind of person. But personally, can't think of anything negative about this tri malarkey!

As for the finances (KK - please think of something new to whinge about, the no money thing is getting really boring), like RBM, I swapped unhealthy past times for healthy ones so probably have more pennies now (But I used to drink and smoke a lot).

Mrs F - are there anymore like you at home??

I don't know why you've jumped on KK for mentioning the financial aspect.

I should have thought it was likley to be a big negative aspect, especially if your wife/husband/partner doesn't understand your fascination with the sport and resents the TIME you spend on it, let alone the money.

Not having enough money to buy the bike you'd like (or, as many would see it, "need"  ) would also be a likley negative aspect, and the cost of travelling, plus accommodation, for races.

If you don't have unhealthy lifestyle choices to give up, you have to find the money from somewhere else, so something else has to go.

cougie    pirate
17/09/2013 at 15:30
Triathlon doesnt have to be too expensive. I only do the one a year - granted its an ironman - but once youve paid for the race the training is ALLLLLL freeee.*

*Private lake sessions and cake stops not included. Normal terms and conditions apply.
Darkness    pirate
17/09/2013 at 16:17

"Too expensive" is a relative term!

Fell runners get years of wear from one pair of Walsh's and pay tuppence per race in entry fees!

I think triathlon is more expensive than pretty much all non-motorised/horsey sports.

VT'd    pirate
17/09/2013 at 16:49

I had countless disagreements and endless hours of silence over my training.  My 28 year marriage ended in divorce last year, but it would be bizzare to singularly blame triathlon  .  There would have been many other reasons, and in my obsessive personality I could just have easily immersed myself in worm charming!

I firmly believe you should do what you think is right for you at that time.  If there is difficulty in a relationship due to either the time, effort or money spent pursuing a goal then one must decide what their priorities are and go with that.

Could you live with yourself if you give up on one ambition to pursue (in your eyes) a lesser path?

Could you also get along with yourself if you subsequently learn you've chosen wrongly?

I have regrets for failing in such my long standing relationship, but I couldn't have forgiven myself if I had given up on what I have now just on the (in my eyes)unfounded, selfish whim of a partner. 

17/09/2013 at 17:05

Some interesting comments about family becoming involved (or not).  My kids both did Ironkids in Bolton and loved it, and previously my son (10) and I did a DIY triathlon which he absolutely adored, and which still makes me well up thinking about it.  

My wife has also become far more interested, we all watched the World Champs on TV at the weekend and she (and my kids) had a fantastic time in Bolton, not only watching me race and finish but spending another 3 hours at the finishing line watching everyone else come in.

It's an addictive sport, even to those who don't actually take part.  And I think part of that is the personalities involved ... it's so inclusive, friendly and supportive!  I fecking love it.  

I also love the fact that I can discover a sport at 43 years of age and still look forward to many years competing  

17/09/2013 at 17:08

As for the money side of things, the only thing we can't control is the cost of race entries.  For everything else, there's usually a cheaper option to the bike/wetsuit/shoes/GPS watch you think you need.

17/09/2013 at 17:40

Lee - I did run, successfully completed 2 half marathons last year.  However I have joint issues at the moment making walking (let alone running) incredibly difficult and painful.  Am hoping that eventually I get this sorted (NHS - VERY SLOW!!) and can run again, because I really miss it - even when it's dark and raining....... So, if and when I do get sorted, I will seriously consider a sprint tri......................

17/09/2013 at 18:19

For me it's been nothing but positive - I had hubby's good will and a discussion before hand about timings etc promised to have friday night and Sunday as rest days to hang out with him.  He has been incredibly supportive having tea on the table when I get in from training and getting up at indecent hours to ferry me to events.   It has made me a lot more focussed and good at pushing my limits.  If you had asked me 3yrs ago that i could say I had done a HIM and making plans to do more I would have laughed myself silly over the absurdity of that particular idea.  

I do however find I spend more on tri associated stuff than I ever have on makeup, heels or girly clothes I always seem to be finding something I "NEED"

17/09/2013 at 18:56

Raf, luckily for the world, nope 

21 to 40 of 48 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.