Has triathlon had any negative impacts on your life?

Even if only temporarily.

1 to 20 of 48 messages
17/09/2013 at 07:37

I've discovered one down side to becoming fitter and thinner.  It makes my wife feel worse about her appearence.  At the weekend one of our friends who hadn't seen me in a while commented about how much weight I'd lost.  (not that I have, it's just firmer!) but I think it makes her in doors more self concious as she's over weight.

This means that she is less sympathetic to my need for longer training sessions.  I had hoped to do a half IM next year, but it's not going to happen, I won't be given time to train or even to do the event.  It's very frustrating.  I've tried to get her to do the swim section and I'll do the rest, but she's not showing any interest.

I do understand her issues, but it's hard not to crow about my training and successfully not coming last in races.

This has been most therapeutic.  Thanks KK.

17/09/2013 at 08:01

Pete - Keep trying to encourage your OH, even to join you on a fast walk, once she gets started it will be much easier, My OH runs and is doing her first sprint tri in a couple of weeks, she wasn't interested in triathlon at all but we support each other at events if not competing together, but after the Wild Boar and a taste of Pirate support she's now into it.

Triathlon has only had a possitive impact on my life since completing my first sprint almost a year ago, I retired from Rugby last year due to injury and after watching the Brownlee bros in the Olympics thought it looked fun. I fit training in around my home life, I don't have much of a social life these days and train before work, I can cycle to and from work and do the odd evening sesh, and its a really good motivation to do the training.

17/09/2013 at 08:56

Overall more poditives than negatives apart from my bank balance but then i have swapped costly unhealthy habits p!ssing up, smoking for a costly healthy habit so thats a positive one, major negative for me (according to Mrs RBM is atendency to overtrain which makes me a moody sullen bugger

17/09/2013 at 09:15

Yes defintiely, after watching both races Saturday and Sunday it has made me realise just how unfit and fat I am!!!!

17/09/2013 at 09:15

I think it's very sad that pete says he "won't be given the time to train or even do the event".

Why do you need to be "given" time?

17/09/2013 at 09:26

My already insatiable appetite has only been enhanced and warped further by the notion that I am just refuelling after long / hard training sessions.  Three years in this game and I should have Mens Health calling me for a cover-shoot but with sponsors like McVities and Adnams, it aint ever gonna happen!  Fitness fail.

Dubai Dave    pirate
17/09/2013 at 09:48

After 12 years of training for endurance sport  i would say the negative aspect is the impact that being gone for 6 hours on long bike rides / runs has on family life, even if you start really early ( and in Dubai I went out more than once at 0230 to beat the heat) it impacts as your then knackered all day. Otherwise its all positive, for me at least not sure Mrs DD would agree. 

17/09/2013 at 10:05

Totally positive. I'm with Wilkie on wondering why Pete needs to be "given time" - I just don't understand that and it makes me sad for you, Pete (not that you are asking me to be, I know that).

funkin has lost 5 stone, I haven't. I could do with losing some more weight but once I get my arse in gear back to regular running again, that will improve. I am certainly not envious of him and it certainly doesn't make me less inclined to let him go training. Him being out for ages on long rides doesn't really impact us, as he often will ride on a day I am at work. If he's out when I am here, then I just do the chores and obviously eagerly await his arrival home, bringing him a smoothie in the bath  If I could, I would be a housewife but haven't really got the excuse to, with only him & the house to look after.

I would say triathlon has had no negative impact at all on my life, even the money. The money we have spent has given us some wonderful experiences - and yes, I do realise how lucky we are that we have been able to go to all kinds of places for races which have been made into holidays.

I am never doing triathlon though. Doing a marathon was tough enough, thank you.

Edited: 17/09/2013 at 10:06
17/09/2013 at 10:18

I'm trying to think of negative impacts but am failing.  I can only think of it making my arse hurt from time to time (and my wallet.)

On a positive note, it's given me a whole new group of friends (this forum is merely the swan's body gliding over the surface.  It's what's happening under the water, away from here, that demonstrates the friendships.)  I belong to an awesome tri club where I volunteer as well as participate.  I've lost 3 stone in weight.  I'm fitter and healthier than I've ever been.  I don't watch crap on the telly anymore.  I get to go on holiday to new places with my mates.  What's not to like?

Pudge    pirate
17/09/2013 at 10:19
Wilkie wrote (see)

I think it's very sad that pete says he "won't be given the time to train or even do the event".

I'm just guessing here, but maybe he has a young family.  That is certainly one of my main reasons for not getting out as much as I perhaps ought to be.  That said, I wouldn't ever want to get to the stage where I start neglecting my family for the sake of my hobby, since that's effectively what it is to me after all.

I'm lucky in that my other half is pretty understanding about the time that I do spend training, but I can imagine some wives might not be.

cougie    pirate
17/09/2013 at 10:36
The good thing is that you can do triathlon at any age of life - its not like its exclusively a young persons sport - you can be competitive in all age groups.

If you have a young family - then there's no need to rush into it.
17/09/2013 at 10:41
Wilkie wrote (see)

Maybe Given was the wrong word, "find" might be more appropriate.

I'm up at 5am to check the animals, commute at 6am, in the office at 7am, back home 6.30pm then it's food, daughter's homework, check the animals, put daughter to bed and its now 8.30pm and I need to be asleep by 9.30pm or I'm fit for nothing the next day.  Weekends are just as hectic and I can't expect my OH to do everything.  She already does all the school/after school clubs, cooking, sorting the house, shopping etc

I'm just not finding the space to fit in training and racing and still fulfilling my responsibilities as a husband and father...

Edited: 17/09/2013 at 10:41
Running Postie    pirate
17/09/2013 at 10:46

With both of us trying to fit in training, work, kids and kid's taxi service, time is precious! (The holidays around the tri events are great though)

on the upside, my kids see their parents participating and enjoying sport, it's the norm and both of them also participate and will hopefully carry on enjoying sport for the rest of their lives...priceless

17/09/2013 at 11:48

I do not think triathlon itself to be responsible but it was the last straw that broke a difficult relantionship and made us go our separate ways. I introduced my then wife to triathlon with the intention to share an interest and it resulted in an obsessive behaviour that meant we spent no time together and that our daughter seldom spent time with both her parents.

While I trained for IM, my wife trained for a sprint and allocated close to the same amount of hours I did ... It did not end well.

I do however believe that as painful as it has been, it will actually be for the best. I do hope I will eventually find someone that respects me and who will bring me joy and who is my real soulmate. So as with all things triathlon, after a lot of pain, eventually come greater gains.

Pudge    pirate
17/09/2013 at 11:59

That's pretty crap, sorry to hear that Hokori.

I have to admit, that sort of outcome is my fear, and I do have to step back sometimes and make certain that my activities are not interfering with my role as a husband and dad.

17/09/2013 at 12:33

dad first, husband second, wannabe IM third.

although i am sure my wife would disagree on the order sometimes

17/09/2013 at 12:41
pete_inthehills wrote (see)
I'm up at 5am to check the animals..., daughter's homework, ...

My Dad used to make me do my own homework!   

17/09/2013 at 13:02

Whats all this talk of "training" no self respecting Pirate should even know the meaning of the word

WildWill    pirate
17/09/2013 at 13:04

Nope

17/09/2013 at 13:09
Wilkie wrote (see)

My Dad used to make me do my own homework!   

i don't know when it all changed but it does seem to be the other way round now.

1 to 20 of 48 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.