Have you ever had another significant sport in your life before running/tri?

21 to 40 of 40 messages
meface    pirate
07/08/2012 at 22:26

School Gym Team and Run Team until 14, then rugby.

County, Divisional U19 (North), and England Student trials. Semi-pro for about 3 years getting £80/week. Then stopped mid-season as kept displacing T1-T3 vertabrae.

Lots of hill walking and getting fat, had 1st kid, didn't have time for long walks so started to run some of them to get home quicker. Ran a bit, then HappyChap entered me for a triathlon and forced me to do it.

Liked drinking with rugby till it got too serious to drink. I was a bit of a primal chest beater on the field but not off the field. Do like the social side of sport.

M.eface

07/08/2012 at 22:42
Football for me from under tens through to last year.Played at a good level whilst through high school.Ive stopped now to avoid injury which would stop me doing tri
Iron Muffin    pirate
08/08/2012 at 11:29

Reading back through, the majority of us have come from successful sporting backgrounds,

I was a county level swimmer, got to Uni and took up womens rugby. Okay it is a minority sport and I played at representative level for a few years. My best friends have always been from sport relationships and that has been the best outcome.

Interesting that I have also enjoyed other sports I am not good at, particulary sailing and tri  Both of which I would clssify as part of my lifestyle rather than comething I compete in.

08/08/2012 at 12:22

Running and swimming in school (got competitive and parents decided I should focus on studies rather than sport as it was taking too much time), then tennis, taekwondo and judo (family are masters)... then about 12 years of rugby...now back to swim bike and run.... and wondering where my swim skills went...

...and went a bit porky somewhere around the start or rugby... I was your typical skinny kid who struggled to put weight on...and suddenly caught up

Edited: 08/08/2012 at 12:25
Dustboy    pirate
08/08/2012 at 12:37

Lot's of " ex sporty types" here. As time passes by, how do you feel about slowing down and watching your perfomances drop off? Do you find it frustrating, or just accept it as part of life?

Tommygun2    pirate
08/08/2012 at 12:55

Orenteering from 8 - 18 represented GB at European Junior level then found sex drugs and rock and roll Did a bit of rugby and football in my 20's then at the age of 44 I decided that being fat and lazy was not good and strated running i have now run 7 marathons and got into Tri as I also cycled. Still cant swim very well though

08/08/2012 at 12:55

I did sports at school, was in the hockey team (but only because there wouldn't have been enough players otherwise), until I left school at 16.

I started skiing in my twenties, but not as a competitive sport, just because it's fun. 

I started running in my thirties, not at anything like a competitive level - just for fitness. 

Started riding a bike in my fifties - again not competitvely, just for enjoyment. 

I'm not really into competition, I guess!

Doozer.    pirate
08/08/2012 at 13:18

A few years at semi pro football until injury and beer drinking took over, county level at tennis, badninton and table tennis, high level of cricket and an 8 handicap at golf.  Just a few!

Nurse Ratched    pirate
08/08/2012 at 18:19

No

08/08/2012 at 18:46

County level hockey player, before spending 20 years in the co-drivers seat of a rally car.

meface    pirate
08/08/2012 at 23:07
Iron Muffin wrote (see)

I was a county level swimmer, got to Uni and took up womens rugby. Okay it is a minority sport and I played at representative level for a few years. My best friends have always been from sport relationships and that has been the best outcome.

I played women's rugby as well. No not really but coached Brighton Uni Womens team for 3 years and they won the poly cup final and got to the Uni cup final as well. They lost against Loughborugh in a tough game but had played the week before in the Poly cup final as well.

Had four in the squad play in international teams! 2 Welsh, 1 English and 1 Scot.

Thoroughly enjoyed the coaching but with my own playing the week was something like

Monday - University Rugby Training
Tuesday - Rugby Womens Training
Wednesday - Unversity Game
Thursday - Local Club Training
Friday - Day Off
Saturday - Club Game
Sunday - Womens Training & Mens Training

Plus weights at lunchtime. No wonder I had to resit my final year!

09/08/2012 at 06:13
marshallini wrote (see)

In 1994 I started running then thought triathlon was a good idea, that lasted about 2 months, then I started Tae Kwon Do and ended with 5 National titles and 3rd place in the 1998 World Champs.

Now that's impressive.

09/08/2012 at 07:18
RicF wrote (see)
marshallini wrote (see)

In 1994 I started running then thought triathlon was a good idea, that lasted about 2 months, then I started Tae Kwon Do and ended with 5 National titles and 3rd place in the 1998 World Champs.

Now that's impressive.

Very impressive indeed.

purpletrilady    pirate
09/08/2012 at 07:35

Wow, lots of sporting backgrounds.

I was sporty at school, but at 13 found fags, booze and boys. That's the sum total of my sporting background.

09/08/2012 at 08:43
Dave, you have to get over it ;0)

Played county hockey for Durham, town netball for Hartlepool and competed for Gateshead Harriers in shot and discus where I wasn't too bad. 3rd in the Scottish Nationals, 8th in English Schools. I believe I still hold the record for the Harriers in that age group.
09/08/2012 at 08:55

Played hockey to a high standard, pretty much took over my life. Played last week and have spent 3 days icing and resting my leg joints! Felt old and slow.... plus stopped me doing any tri training! Annoyed.

Symes    pirate
09/08/2012 at 11:38
Dustboy wrote (see)

Lot's of " ex sporty types" here. As time passes by, how do you feel about slowing down and watching your perfomances drop off? Do you find it frustrating, or just accept it as part of life?

Find it very frustrating looking back at some of my times, 10k in particular knowing that chances are I won't get within 3-4 minutes of that again. I do accept it most of the time but looking at results there's often a 'what if' moment 

Also wish I'd known how relatively good I was bearing in mind the turn up and race attitude we had back then.

Edited: 09/08/2012 at 11:39
Iron Muffin    pirate
09/08/2012 at 19:03
m..eface wrote (see)

I played women's rugby as well. No not really but coached Brighton Uni Womens team for 3 years and they won the poly cup final and got to the Uni cup final as well. They lost against Loughborugh in a tough game but had played the week before in the Poly cup final as well.

Had four in the squad play in international teams! 2 Welsh, 1 English and 1 Scot.

Thoroughly enjoyed the coaching but with my own playing the week was something like

Monday - University Rugby Training
Tuesday - Rugby Womens Training
Wednesday - Unversity Game
Thursday - Local Club Training
Friday - Day Off
Saturday - Club Game
Sunday - Womens Training & Mens Training

Plus weights at lunchtime. No wonder I had to resit my final year!

We probably have friends in common. I played at Reading Uni then started North England and England squad stuff when at Waterloo. Happy days and on reflection I  maybe should (could?) have achieved more, a full England cap on the wall would have been very nice.

I agree on the old schedules. Bizarre that when I think back to all the hours taken up but never being truly fit. For a long time STIL and I were both playing competitively and between us that accounted for every weekend day and night of the week except Friday, given to rugby.

meface    pirate
09/08/2012 at 21:41
Iron Muffin wrote (see)

I agree on the old schedules. Bizarre that when I think back to all the hours taken up but never being truly fit.

I thought the same thing when I wrote it, how could I train so much yet 15-20 years on I much 'fitter'. That said I don't think I could lift, press, curl or pull half what I used to. Can definitely run further at sustained pace now but then most of what I did was 10-30m sprints.

Fitness for task - and the current task is just constant effort & endurance not power.

Dubai Dave    pirate
10/08/2012 at 06:08

Hmm.

Junior county squash  & Cricket, played cricket at good club level for 20 years, very average club footballer, 35 min 10K runner, then did nothing but dring beer for 5 years before taking up running again and eventually Tri.

It bothers me not at all that it now takes me 42 mins to run 10K because age graded thats 35:xx! Thank god for age grading, plus the standards have dropped and I win a lot more these days.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 40 of 40 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.