Head torch

Any suggestions, and how bad are the cheap EBay ones?

21 to 40 of 51 messages
cougie    pirate
22/11/2012 at 11:43

I broke mine too - being clumsy - so bought a new one. Looks like you can get replacement lids from Alpkit though ? 

http://www.alpkit.com/support/stickies/gamma-battery-lid-replacement

22/11/2012 at 12:05

Hey,

I'm from Alpkit, thought I would give some more info. for you guys. I'm a runner myself and have been using the Gamma for a while - an interesting tip came in a  few weeks back to use one around the waist while offroad to help with the shadow, maybe that's something more to think about.

In regards to batteries, the Gamma has a simple circuit inside which has been designed for normal alkaline batteries, the different voltage and output range on re-chargeables and lithium batteries can cause problems. From overheating and short circuiting to the most common which is a longer than usual high intensity light, but then just stopping, instead of a gradual dimming. We recommend not using them - that said we know many people who have used them and been fine, but if any minor electrical faults arise it is most often due to the incorrect batteries.

Our Gamma's are used in extreme environments, dark, damp and muddy places and we have had a few breakages on the battery compartments. But we do sell a lot of head torches and after examining the figures, the return rate is a miniscule number. But we offer the spare part for a few quid if you happen to break it. We also have our alpine bond, if there is a manufactuting fault we will repalce it, or if you need a repair we will do it as quick and cheaply as possible.

Thanks for all the positive comments - we love the Gamma it's nice to know others do as well!!

Jay

Edited: 22/11/2012 at 12:06
22/11/2012 at 12:20

Jay - do you mean wear it around the waist instead of, or in addition to, wearing on the head?

Has anybody tried this off-road?

Doner Kebab    pirate
22/11/2012 at 12:39
It's in addition to, running at night is always better with two torches as it makes things stand out. It's hard to spot tree roots and pot holes with just one light source as it looks like 2d if that makes sense.
22/11/2012 at 12:51

Thanks Doner.  I'll definitely bear that in mind before hitting the trail.

22/11/2012 at 12:52

Hey Tenjiso, 

I mean as well as - seems to help if running on challenging ground, down by the canal or the local park doesn't make much difference

meface    pirate
22/11/2012 at 13:06
Tenjiso wrote (see)

Does anybody run with their Alpkit on trails, through woodland, etc - rather than just on roads?  How does it perform during those runs?

Yes all the time, most of my running is trail. Also use it on 50 mile ultra's with navigation in the dark.

The only issue with head torches (and that is all of them) is that the light is directed down your line of sight. Consequence is no shadows. Often when trail running it is shadows that make objects visible.

Try running with light in your hand - many get sea sick as the light waves around. On your head, no shadows. Take your pick. Two torches one head one waist/hand gives the best of both and does help a lot. A few of the ultra competitors have chest clips, I have seen some for Petzls - the little 4 LED ones. Always in addition to the head torch which is the only one that looks where you do.

I have had three Gammas but got one as soon as they were out so more than happy with the longevity of them. One stopped working, one broke the clip. I never queried Alpkit, for £11/£12 and now £15 they had lasted more than long enough. I run 3-5 times per week in the week for 6-months of the year. I did all my marathon training in the dark. 3-hour long runs on Monday evening. However I am generally 8-10min miling.

If you are really quick then two may be the best option.

meface    pirate
22/11/2012 at 13:08
Jay Oram wrote (see)

Thanks for all the positive comments - we love the Gamma it's nice to know others do as well!!

Jay

I have a couple of Fat Erics as well, very comfy. Keep up the good work.

22/11/2012 at 13:15

I love my alpkit gamma, used it loads on the road and will hopefully be taking it off road tonight (if the weather doesn't stop us...), only thing is my back light has stopped working .  I get loads of comments from other runners in my club about how good the brightness and the beam is, they can never believe it costs £15!

22/11/2012 at 13:16

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice.  I'm going to wear my Gamma and try using a second lamp as well (I've got a couple of camping headlamps I can use to experiment to start with).  Most of my trail is over open countryside, but there are a couple of miles of woodland to negotiate too.

Dustboy    pirate
22/11/2012 at 14:45

Just bought one

Rafiki    pirate
22/11/2012 at 14:53

Me too - ordered the cammo head band so it'll blend in with the background and can't be seen!??!

22/11/2012 at 15:59

I ordered Aqua - with the amount of rain around here at the moment, I reckoned it would blend in more...

M...eldy    pirate
22/11/2012 at 19:18

Rafi ... do you mean the backgound on your head?  

Rafiki    pirate
22/11/2012 at 20:05

cant tell you that M..eldy, you'd know what to look for  then!

M...eldy    pirate
22/11/2012 at 20:07

Doh !!     

24/11/2012 at 18:58

Just bought one.  Been using a Petzl, big and heavy.  And though I haven't run with it yet, the Alpkit lights up my whole garden!  Pretty amazing for £15.

26/11/2012 at 08:34
Alpkit arrived much smaller and lighter than i expected trialled it in a pitch blackwood on saturday night absolutely brilliant i cant beleive this is ??15 all in with 3 duracell batteries top buy !
cougie    pirate
26/11/2012 at 08:44
I see Dallas Campbell was wearing one on the bbc this weekend.
Ironholgs    pirate
26/11/2012 at 08:46

I got one about a month ago and very impressed with it, I also wear under my bike helmet when out early morning.

Great bit of kit.

21 to 40 of 51 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.