Head torch

Any suggestions, and how bad are the cheap EBay ones?

1 to 20 of 51 messages
20/11/2012 at 17:23

Having been shamed into some early morning runs elsewhere on this forum, and living in the country where the sheep don't wear hi-vis jackets, I'm looking for a decent head torch. I'll only be running on road or pavement, but I could do without turning an ankle. Loking on EBay, there's a vast variety of prices, and I'm sure some of the cheaper ones are probably less use than a transparent trisuit. Anyone actually use these and can recommend a decent one that doesn't cost a fortune?

20/11/2012 at 18:02

I use one of these http://www.alpkit.com/gamma for dog walking and running, find it very good.

20/11/2012 at 18:02

Alpkit from Gamma £15...bombproof.

Even has a red light on the back to warn cars

M...eldy    pirate
20/11/2012 at 18:22

Another Alpkit vote

TR
20/11/2012 at 18:24

and me !

20/11/2012 at 19:42

I use my alpkit for pitch black runs and it's fantastic.  Great value

Mr StOat    pirate
20/11/2012 at 20:10
and me. Alpkit rocks, dead cheap and a nice little Derbyshire company
20/11/2012 at 20:20

Alpkit 

meface    pirate
20/11/2012 at 21:34

Another vote for Alpkit Gamma

Postives
Bright Light
Ouput designed for running rather than focussed just on distance. A pool of light rather than a spot in the distance.
Reliable
Light at front/battery at light gives good balance
Rear flashing unit

Slight Downside
It doesn't run on rechargeables due to being non-regulated output or something. So you have to buy real batteries. One of the new Petzl's is rechargeable and/or takes AAA normal/recharable batteries.

There is also a new lenser that seems to have had good reviews.

21/11/2012 at 08:28
Alpkit ordered
Tired Badger    pirate
21/11/2012 at 13:24

Alkpkit vote here too great bit of kit, just need some rechargables (mine works with them okay) and your good to go.

TheEngineer    pirate
21/11/2012 at 18:58

Don't know if anyone mentioned it but....

Alpkit! 

meface    pirate
21/11/2012 at 21:27
Tired Badger wrote (see)

Alkpkit vote here too great bit of kit, just need some rechargables (mine works with them okay) and your good to go.

What rechargeables are you using? I thought it was a voltage thing. Normal 1.5V and rechargeable typlically output 1.2V.

Having said that my Alpkit headtorch is several years old and maybe the newer ones work with rechargeables.

M..eface

Doner Kebab    pirate
21/11/2012 at 23:01

careful of the lenser ones - my battery compartment leaked, which also houses the PCB that controls the LED = fecked light, they dont claim them to be water proof - just water resistant or whatever, i now use a Fenix with a retina burning 277 lumens, excellent and its waterproof

22/11/2012 at 09:57

The number of votes for Alpkit, I'm starting to wonder whether its secretly owned by the Pirates or something....or it could just be a good piece of kit. Alpkit ordered - thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I now have no excuse for not doing morning runds, unfortunately!

meface    pirate
22/11/2012 at 10:33

No conspiracy - although we clearly drive a lot of sales for them! Maybe we should ask for commission.

It is a good product and I do prefer the light it throws compared to my £70 Petzl which is brighter and throws farther but is simply not as good for running with. Took the Petzl last night as I have leant the Gamma to a colleague to try. Want the Gamma back - sod him.

However the key decider is its brilliant price. At £15 you can afford 4 torches for the price of a Petzl! You don't have to worry if it breaks - get another. Having said that mine was only £11 or something!

M..eface

cougie    pirate
22/11/2012 at 10:36
Alpkit also sell some nice waterproof backpacks amongst other things. Their down jackets are excellent too.
Mr StOat    pirate
22/11/2012 at 10:52

Maybe we should ask for a pirate coloured one. Or put a group order in, they're £13.50 if you get 5 or more.

22/11/2012 at 11:16

Does anybody run with their Alpkit on trails, through woodland, etc - rather than just on roads?  How does it perform during those runs?

22/11/2012 at 11:23

I use an Alpkit and I'm really happy with the performance but I had a problem with one of the lugs on the battery compartment - it snapped off.

Currently using a cable tie to hold it together and it works well,

Aside from that - great bit of kit

1 to 20 of 51 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.