Heart rate on the turbo

How does yours differ?

7 messages
26/01/2014 at 12:52

Was just wondering hows peoples heart rates differ on the turbo to the road? Do people take a certain percentage off there road effort or do you find that its higher on the turbo?

For me it is definitely lower and have figured out that i basically have two heart rates for on and off the road which i figured out doing an FTP test with Trainer Road

Would be interested to hear other peoples thoughts  

26/01/2014 at 13:38

It's harder to maintain a higher HR on the turbo but your bike HR zones are what they are - whether you're riding inside or out - so if you want to achieve the training benefit you need to find a way to hit them. It can be easier to raise your HR on the turbo with a higher cadence rather than pushing a bigger gear but the hardest thing is keeping focussed to work hard enough - which is why I can't understand how people can turbo whilst watching films or reading books, as soon as my attention wanders my HR drops. So sorry but in short - TTFU!

TR
26/01/2014 at 13:52

I dont train with HR outdoors on the bike, or when I run, but I do use it on the turbo mainly to give me some numbers to chase rather than looking at the garage door. You have to be aware that HR can fluctuate a lot due to tiredness, RPE is a better tool IMO. But after a while you get to learn what is a decent combination of HR and RPE for a given session depening upon tiredness etc. Learning to listen to your body is the way to go for me, and monitoring HR can help you get there.

26/01/2014 at 14:39

Agree with them - it just feels harder on a turbo.    

26/01/2014 at 15:43

Thanks for the advice everyone... Like i said my current HR for my bike is calculated from a FTP test so i suppose ill just stick with them

26/01/2014 at 20:15

Must say I find it easier to maintain a solid zone 4 HR on the Turbo, road riding (especially the broken/dangerous ones round here) leads to a much more varied work out.  Both add benefit I guess.

cougie    pirate
28/01/2014 at 11:58
I think it is slightly harder to elevate HR on the turbo compared to outside.

I used to TT at 170+bpm, but on the turbo the highest I've seen it was 167 and I doubt I'd be safe on the road at that kind of effort !

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.