Hello from the USA

20 messages
24/04/2012 at 14:36
I'm new to these forums because of Lewis11. Long story, but we've become fast friends without ever having met.

My tri story begins in early 2009 when I was diagnosed with massively (read stroke imminent) high blood pressure. Of course, I justified it as genetics. But the doctor encouraged me to get more exercise. I had been playing ice hockey for a while but this had turned into an excuse to drink beer with my teammates. I bought a bicycle and it was love. Soon I was on a bike as much as I could be and what do you know, the pounds (sorry, I don't speak stone) started to come off and the BP started to drop.

About a year later, I ran into an old high school friend who was a multiple IM finisher, including several trips to Kona, and a race director. He encouraged me to give one of his events a "tri" and that was it.

I've gone on to complete several tris, from super sprints to Ironman Louisville 2011. I'm registered for my first stand alone marathon (this Saturday) and another iron distance event in September. Lewis11 and I have also hatched a plan to do IM Wales in a couple years.

End result of all this, down about 60-65 pounds and off the BP meds, at least for a while. It turns out that I do have some bad genes after all as the weight loss still hasn't cleared up my high BP completely.

My real name is Jeff if it matters and I have a blog: http://jeffsironmanjourney.blogspot.com

Happy to be here!
Stump    pirate
24/04/2012 at 14:37
Hi Jeff, nice to see you
24/04/2012 at 15:20
welcome to the madhouse Jeff

I trust you still drink beer - it's kind of de rigeur to do that around these parts
24/04/2012 at 18:36
fat buddha wrote (see)
welcome to the madhouse Jeff I trust you still drink beer - it's kind of de rigeur to do that around these parts

Oh, I'm not against beer, I'm just making the point that I'd get on the ice for 45 minutes, and then drink more than the calories I burned and try to defend it as exercise.
Stump    pirate
24/04/2012 at 18:42

Yes, I think the post workout beer has been the ruin of many a poor boy

24/04/2012 at 20:06
May I bring the following to your attention:
http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2011/04/21/cheers-beer-good/

And I especially like this:
http://draftmag.com/calories/

Sorry bu the Ipad doesn't do links properly!!

Oh and welcome Jeff!!
ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
24/04/2012 at 21:23
Hi there jeff! Get Lewis to change his name FFS!

Welcome to the mad house, good luck for Saturday! What's after that?
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
24/04/2012 at 21:23
Welcome Jeff, always room for another one from across the water!
seren nos    pirate
24/04/2012 at 21:25
Hi
24/04/2012 at 21:31
What's the name going to be then gastank?
24/04/2012 at 21:40

Hi there jeff! Get Lewis to change his name FFS! Welcome to the mad house, good luck for Saturday! What's after that?

After Saturday? Here we go!

May 12: Olympic Tri Fest

June 17: Olympic Motor City Tri

July 7: Half-Ironman Ironman Muncie 70.3

September 9: Ironman Rev3 Cedar Point

September 28/29: Bourbon Chase Bourbon Chase

I'm trying to get Lewis to change his name but apparently my choices might offend haha

Rafiki    pirate
24/04/2012 at 21:43
Lewis11 wrote (see)
What's the name going to be then gastank?

I think you're asking for the name BudgieSmuggler what that avatar photo 
M...eldy    pirate
24/04/2012 at 21:44
24/04/2012 at 22:23
Budgie smuggler is great! I like it better than our last favourite of GovtFunded

With BudgieSmuggler you don't even have to get rid of the Robin avatar
OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
24/04/2012 at 22:24
24/04/2012 at 22:33
Awesome races IY, I particularly like the bourbon chase, looks awesome!!!
24/04/2012 at 22:41
Ha! BudgieSmuggler! I guess that's what it shall be then
Ironholgs    pirate
25/04/2012 at 09:02
Welcome IronYank, good luck for the coming season.
Rafiki    pirate
25/04/2012 at 18:22
Well, henceforth, Lewis shall be known as BudgieSmuggler!!
25/04/2012 at 18:27
Little Sister wrote (see)
welcome Jeff!!

Ultra Ironwolf wrote (see)
Welcome Jeff, always room for another one from across the water!

Ironholgs wrote (see)
Welcome IronYank, good luck for the coming season.

Thanks for all the kind words!  Ironholgs, I really enjoyed your book.  Lewis errr BudgieSmuggler thinks I should write a book but it would be much too similar to yours, except you're much faster!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
20 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.