Hi My name is...

Intro

1 to 20 of 43 messages
BluePeter    pirate
07/11/2012 at 17:01
Hi everyone Newbie to triathlons here, just entered The Brutal half for next September. Anyone done this event? I've been lurking for a while now picking up some training tips etc, so may well ask some stupid questions in the future... Anyways, just a quick hello from me....cheers
M...eldy    pirate
07/11/2012 at 17:35

Welcome to the madhouse Peter !!

Pick a thread or 6 and jump in ... most of us are quite welcoming

BluePeter    pirate
07/11/2012 at 17:50
Cheers m...eldy will do!
BluePeter    pirate
07/11/2012 at 18:38
Cheers Cake! Hopefully won't sound too stupid, there does seem to be masses of info for newbies on here anyway. So just been trawling through the other threads.
07/11/2012 at 19:59
Hi Peter,

I'm new to all this so just normally lurk myself and pick up info that way. One piece of advice the guys on hear give out regularly is to have a swimming lesson, I did and the difference is very noticeable. I could swim but the technique was no where near where it should be, from just the one lesson I am much more efficient, thus saving energy for the bike and run. I will go back in a month or for a check up. Could not recommend enough.

Wow, now I have given advice I had better book myself my first tri!
BluePeter    pirate
07/11/2012 at 20:07
Hi supersparx
Yes it is something I have been considering, I used to swim for the local town squad many many years ago, but don't remember it being as hard effort wise as it is feeling at the mo. I will give it a month or so and then look into having a lesson.
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
07/11/2012 at 20:35

welcome to the craziness, Blue Peter.

Ironholgs    pirate
07/11/2012 at 21:18
Welcome on board guys, good luck with your training.
07/11/2012 at 21:40
Hi Ironholgs,

I found this site while psyching myself up for my sprint tri next May, thought that would do me, then someone here recommended your book, read it, now aiming for a full ironman in 2014........you have a lot to answer for!!

Great read, cheers.
seren nos yn canu    pirate
07/11/2012 at 21:47

Hi both.........

the brutal sounds a good one.already looking forward to teh race report 

Dustboy    pirate
07/11/2012 at 22:05

Which Sprint you doing Sparx?

PSC    pirate
07/11/2012 at 22:10
Good, you've had the swimming lesson. Ironman next then.

Welcome to the dark side.
BluePeter    pirate
07/11/2012 at 22:20
Cheers for the welcome... Just pricing up how much I can(want) to spend on race entries for training/turbo trainer/new bike/swimming membership/keeping the OH happy...????
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
08/11/2012 at 07:40

However much you estimate, add on a bit - it'll come out to be more! But Christmas is coming - get going on your wish list. When it comes to keeping the OH happy - no probs for me, mine does tri as well. Can you get yours involved?

BluePeter    pirate
08/11/2012 at 08:13
Ironwolf, yes that could be a possibility. Both started running last year, and she has successfully run two hm's. I did a marathon last month and I don't think she is keen on the distance! We'll see. Your right on the Christmas thing though, we'll timed I think...;)
08/11/2012 at 12:46
Dustboy wrote (see)

The one at Dorney, 29th May. Depending on training I might try and find an earlier one!

Dustboy wrote (see)

PSC wrote (see)
Good, you've had the swimming lesson. Ironman next then.

Welcome to the dark side.

2014 is the plan, but the way training has come to a stop this week might be 2017!!

thanks 

BluePeter    pirate
08/11/2012 at 13:04
Sparx, that's my plan as well..2014 ironman. Loose plan for 2013 is as follows;

March- Liverpool HM
May - Stratford sprint tri
July - Yorkshire Olympic tri
August (end of)- a.n.other HM possibly fleet wood.
September - 'A' race - the brutal (half)

Aiming to pad the above races out with open water swimming and long rides, park runs etc.

Then continue for a full ironman in 2014...
Dustboy    pirate
08/11/2012 at 16:42

Stratford is a great starter to the season, newbie or experienced, I might be on for that one too.

BluePeter    pirate
08/11/2012 at 17:52
Cake, nice one sounds good, I am in the middle of cheshire so not far from chester,Liverpool etc. also, thinking of doing a recce or two for the brutal... Bike the llan beris pass and possibly a hike up and down snowdon as well.
08/11/2012 at 18:16

Peter,

your plan is much more advanced than mine, I am trying to get my base levels up but struggling witht the running. I will keep at it though. 

1 to 20 of 43 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.