HIM should I? DNS Or DNF?

1 to 20 of 45 messages
Mr StOat    pirate
26/07/2012 at 22:04
I've got a HIM lined up for late August - Cotswold Classic 113. I've trained, but with a variety of excuses, family, work, just being idle and a bit crap I've not managed anywhere near enough. I've done a couple of sprints (pool and ow) and a couple of Oly. Would it be more sensible to knock it on the head, pick something for next year - maybe even aim for full IM and get a full on plan and a bucket of get up and go. I think I'd rather not start than either DNF or break myself. What say you?
26/07/2012 at 22:10

As someone posted on FB regarding something different...

You very rarely regret things that you have done, only the things you haven't.

The Cotswold113 is a really friendly event and I am sure once you have started the camaraderie of your fellow competitors will pull you through.  

The organisers want you to have fun and enjoy yourself and so they are not strict on cut-offs

So I say 'go for it'.  What have you really got to lose? 

26/07/2012 at 22:20
If you can't get your act together to do a half. Why do you think you would for a full ?
26/07/2012 at 22:22
Go for it, you might supise yourself!
Doner Kebab    pirate
26/07/2012 at 23:57

what dave said, and, if you paid for it - do it, you got a bit of time to get one bike ride of say.. 40 miles/2.5 hours, get that in the bag and everything else is a doddle, you might walk some of the run but it would be foolhardy to waste the opportunity to get some race practice in, you done an oly FFS - HIM isnt that bigger ask. when i did my first, and only half id only done 3 sprints. You my friend are overtrained compared to many in here

Cheerful Dave    pirate
27/07/2012 at 05:39
A HIM is always do-able if you start the bike at a pace appropriate for your level of training. If you haven't done many longer rides then take it steady and you'll get through no problem. It won't be particularly quick, but it won't be a DNF either. Start it like you're in a sprint and your lack of endurance is going to get painfully obvious.
You've paid for it, you should try & get something out of it - like schmunks says, what have you got to lose?
The Silent Assassin    pirate
27/07/2012 at 09:37

sounds to me like you want us to give you a doctors note!

27/07/2012 at 10:17

Spot on SA.....

Suppose that's what sorts out the men from the boys, and the girlies from the women...

WildWill    pirate
27/07/2012 at 10:27

I'd say get out ther and get it done .. as its been said ... better to regret something you tried rather than something you didnt

Iron Muffin    pirate
27/07/2012 at 10:29

Ha, Ha. Looking to pirartes for tea, sympathy and excuses not to race wont get you very far.

I would say it depends on your motivators and targets. If you are scared of trying and failing, DNS.

If you want the challenge then a DNF  and a load of learning's if the worst that can happen. For me it is always better to try and fail rather than fail to try. 

27/07/2012 at 11:55
If you are not injured then just give it a go. Better to die trying (metaphorically) of course. No point going for a full IM if you can't prepare fully for a half.
You never know, you may surprise yourself.
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
27/07/2012 at 11:58

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
27/07/2012 at 12:01

Thats my Mantra by the way.

Its "The Man in The Arena"  Theodore Roosevel 1910

Another one I like

"Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far."

WildWill    pirate
27/07/2012 at 12:05

i quite like 

if your  not dead or injured, then HTFU and JFDI 

27/07/2012 at 12:17

Tri-ing to fail is better than failing to tri (try).  In any case, given what you have achieved already this year, you won't fail.  Either take it a little easier or suffer a little more.

Rw

27/07/2012 at 18:49

You've just got to do it.  The only reason to DNS is injury and it doesn't sound like you are injured; just under-trained.  Treat it as training

Mr StOat    pirate
27/07/2012 at 22:34
I wasn't after a Dr's note or tea and sympathy really. More a piratey kick up the arse
Thanks
28/07/2012 at 07:48
Duly delivered
Mr StOat    pirate
28/07/2012 at 21:02
Went out with tri club for a steady 50. Was really nice but I now have a very sore left knee.
29/07/2012 at 09:44
Pmsl, zip up the man suit Matt
1 to 20 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.