HIM Training plan

Thoughts on this Half Ironman Training program

6 messages
12/12/2009 at 20:09

Evenin' all

Someone pointed me in the way of this website; http://triathlonmagazine.eu (sorry can't get linky thng to work with myFirefox browser for some reason)

and came across this half ironman training schedule;

http://triathlonmagazine.eu/training/half-distance/6-16-weeks-half-ironman-training

Does anyone have an opinion on it? I am doing the Swashbuckler at the end of May and am not sure I can get this many sessions in during the week. Especially in Jan/ Feb/ March time the chances of me doing a  40 or 50km bike ride mid week is as unlikely as me being able to get a 16km run in midweek.

It's also frustrating that one weekend day is always a rest day!

This plan will not work for me in terms of timing etc, but are the distances and regularity a good guide as to what I should be doing and when?

Thanks in advance

BMBecky    pirate
12/12/2009 at 20:24
*lurks hoping for useful advice for the vit*
M...eldy    pirate
12/12/2009 at 20:28
www.beginnertriathlete.com  training plans are good

I suspect they will all be much of a muchness

I doubt many normal folks will be able to get medium rides in mideweek before the clocks change

Plan your week so that you can get the main sessions in,  long swim, long bike, long run et.c and then slot everything else in behind.  Use the turbo,  run at night and swim when you can

Plans are there as a guide and not necc a bible (IMO)  use the mileage/distances given as a benchmark as to where you should be at that particular time
TR
12/12/2009 at 21:46

You dont need a schedule, you just need to build the necessary training into your week.

I did the NF 1/2 IM in Sept and am doing the Swashbuckler too. I made sure that I was confident at riding 50M hard, could swim 2k confidently and did some 10M runs too.

I agree with Meldy you need a long bike - which only has to be ~50M as  the Swashbuckler bike course is only 52 pancake flat ones. A long run that only needs to be 10 - 12 M and be able to swim 2k comfortably. Then just add whatever else you can such as a couple more turbo's, runs etc in the week, getting up a bit earlier allows me to bag 90 min turbos or runs on School days.

Kanga (M.)    pirate
13/12/2009 at 11:40
As Her Meldiness says any plan is a guide, unless you're planning on going pro in which case you probably wouldn't be on here seeking advice from a bunch of nutters. Mix the days/sessions up to fit in with the rest of your life, and if you can't train like a pro then set expectations accordingly and enjoy the day.

Or do what many Pirates do, just swim/ride/run a bit and wing it ...
14/12/2009 at 19:02

Oh.

I saw HIM training plan and I thought it was a dastardly guide to creating the perfect OH....

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.