Holborough Lake (Kent)

1 to 20 of 43 messages
Slagiatt    pirate
27/04/2012 at 10:06
Couple of us heading over to Holborough lake on Sunday if anyone fancys coming along.  Nice clean lake near Snodland in Kent .  You have to take a swim assessment (£15) to get your membership , therafter its a fiver a go .. open 7 days and open til late on Wednesdays .. google "nemes dive academy" for more info.
purpletrilady    pirate
27/04/2012 at 13:36
It's just up the road from me, do you live nearby ?

To cold for me at the moment, but I'm guessing I'll have to brave it soon

Slagiatt    pirate
27/04/2012 at 13:57
Hi Purpletrilady .. Used to live that way but moved to Essex ( long story) a few years ago now. I used Leybourne lake , and the Sea Pool at Walpole Bay ( posher bit of Margate ) for all my OW training last year but the Holborough lake water quality seems better than Leybourne, plus you get free teas . The Dive school that runs the place seem a good friendly bunch as well.

it was 11 degrees 2 weekends ago .. hoping it might have crept up to 12 at least by now, but as Outlaw is just sixtysomething days away I dont think that i can avoid it much longer.
Slagiatt    pirate
29/04/2012 at 19:17
Lovely swim .. Still pretty damned cold .. so much so that poor SMT who was there for his swim assesment took a bit of a boat ride.. but did later man TF up and get back in . Managed a mile before the lure of hot tea got the better of me. Was joined on the last two laps by a channel swimmer...in bloody speedos ... headcase.
29/04/2012 at 20:03

When you planning on going next?

purpletrilady    pirate
29/04/2012 at 20:08
I've got my event in 6 weeks and still have no plans to go near the lakes unless we get some serious sun.

I've heard Holborough is really nice, but its colder than Leybourne and I'm such a wimp.

Let us know when you are going again though.

PSC    pirate
30/04/2012 at 07:25

way too early to be in open water... brrrrrr

nutters

Slagiatt    pirate
30/04/2012 at 10:09

FF .. I might try and get there on weds eve as they are open late , straight from work , so if you are in town and can get to IOD i could give you a lift .. otherwise will be weekend after next i think .

Purple ..i see that Ocean Lake Tri  are running some mid week duathlons ( swim n run ) at Leybourne starting on the 9th May  . Might be worth a look ? think they are relatively short swims but should be good practice,  and its a nice run around the lake . I think i'll try to make a couple of them if i can .  Whats your race in 6 weeks ? .. I know a very good coach that works at leybourne and holborough if you want to brush bup on your OW technique before race day .. gonna be booking up a couple more lessons with her myself between now and outlaw if i can ...the  two sessions i had last year transformed my swim completely.

Golden Boots    pirate
30/04/2012 at 12:49
Slag - I Cannot do this week as I have a physio app. on Weds night, but if you are going the following week I might be tempted... What is the closest Tube Station to you? Barking? - I know it's a bit of a mission when I have pools close enough to mine but I work too far away to make a midweek session, and normally have other plans at the weekends
Slagiatt    pirate
30/04/2012 at 13:23

Hi GB ... the following week is a "splash and dash" duathlon at the Leybourne lake .. so will probably do that instead, its a choice of 750 or 1500 swims , and a 5k run .. (but just add laps to make it a 10 k. etc ) .   Its being attended by the former "IM Lanza winner Ain-Alar Juhanson" who according to google (had to look him up as the name wasnt one i'd heard of)  is the heaviest man ever to win an IM event, so i thought i'd pop along and get him worried about keeping that record  

Nearest tube station will be Hornchurch or Upminster .. End of the District line.

Golden Boots    pirate
30/04/2012 at 17:13
Ah... no runing for me yet unfortunately so will give it a miss next week... possibly the weekend afterwards. How far is the drive back to your part of the world afterwards?
purpletrilady    pirate
30/04/2012 at 18:28
Slagiatt - I'm doing the Double o the 9th/10th June.

Can you PM the name of that coach, would be useful to get some tips.

Slagiatt    pirate
01/05/2012 at 09:04

Purple .... wow !!! .. thats hardcore .. all the best with that .  Will PM you those details

GB .. its a 40-50 min drive , so not so bad ... but if this bloody rain doesnt stop soon we'd probably be able to swim all the way there anyway.   

02/05/2012 at 10:58
Hiya
How long does the assessment take? I might try and get down on Friday

I live around 10 miles away
Slagiatt    pirate
02/05/2012 at 12:22
Hi Mark ... not long at all ... basically a form to fill out then swim out 150M and back in again .. if you dont sink youve passed .  I am heading there after work this eve .. they open late on Wednesdays.
02/05/2012 at 14:26
I've booked a assessment for tomorrow
So you might see me splashing around in the lake soon
Slagiatt    pirate
02/05/2012 at 15:15
Nice one,  Im sure i'll see you there at some point .. you'll be able to spot me in the pirate swim cap.
Golden Boots    pirate
03/05/2012 at 10:27
How was the water Slag?
Slagiatt    pirate
03/05/2012 at 10:44
Pretty chilly GB, just over 11 degrees ... but did 1.5 miles so a reasonable effort . Nice way to unwind after a days work .    I am over again on the 12th  for a Tri workshop they are running , and then i'll probably try to get over most Wednesdays after that .
Golden Boots    pirate
03/05/2012 at 11:22
Certainly may be interested in joining you then, though probably not next week as running is still of the cards... Will take a lifetime to get home afterwards but at least it means I only lose an evening instead of a quarter of the weekend for OW swimming
1 to 20 of 43 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.