Hooked on tri?

Or not?

10 messages
kittenkat    pirate
26/07/2013 at 14:39

Ok, so I did the whole Pirate whack, as per the rule book as was. IM in 9 months from tri zero, then double IM the year after with a whole heap of other distance triathlons in the mix. It was an orgasm of triathlon experience.

So my question is what makes some people then go on, having started in this way in continuing with tri? What makes some people like me quit? On a personal level, I've always been a pretty decent club runner and with a busy life I've decided that running I can't do without, yet swimming and cycling I can.

I'm still very involved in tri as a race director, so there is some passion there; and I might turn my hand back to it in the future, I don't know right now.

What's your story?

Edited: 26/07/2013 at 14:40
26/07/2013 at 14:52

You just didn't enjoy shagging Barlos. Go on admit it 

kittenkat    pirate
26/07/2013 at 15:12

Bwhahahaha Dave. I'm not man enough.

26/07/2013 at 16:37

Tri training allows me to do more than I can if I just run with the added advantage of improving my running times.

26/07/2013 at 17:01

KK, I've turned it into a lifestyle and dont actually see it as training ( except now in the last few days before the taper for an IM)  I've also met a load of mates who i can train with and you kind of get sucked into the routine of long bikes, runs etc.

I've also experienced some of my best times riding around the country lanes on my long bikes and finding new running routes on local footpaths ( I still hate swimming!)

I suppose it helps that I'm not actually much good at any particular discipline so dont feel any need to just concentrate on that.

Finally it has almost become part of my identity now which is kind of dangerous really.  I'm not sure how I'm going to stop!

Darkness    pirate
26/07/2013 at 17:12

I came from a cycling background but found I didn't like road racing that much as it is a fairly aggressive sport as you hold your position in the bunch. 

After giving tri a go I found I much preferred the atmosphere of tri events. I wouldn't go back to road racing.  I now enjoy running as much or possibly even more than cycling but am probably still a bit better on the bike.  I don't hate swimming any more but it would be a stretch to say I like it - worth it to do tri events.

I guess really enjoying at least 2 of the 3 events helps.

26/07/2013 at 17:13

As i  have got older the mix of training has kept injury at bay and i like the variety

Running Postie    pirate
26/07/2013 at 17:55

I agree with Ridgeback, getting ancient now and find I'm getting less injured mixing it up, I'm still managing to get PB's in my road (run) racing, so I must be doing something right.

Doner Kebab    pirate
26/07/2013 at 18:21

i did the same as KK. nothing to IM in a few months, i would have done it in less than a year but i started at the end of the season so it took me a little longer, less than a year to the double and now found out i hate biking more than being Barlos' bitch. whilst biking is ok for cross training i dont really love riding like i do running silly distances. Swimming is OK but i dont want to do the channel which is probably the next swimming barrier.  So, next season im going back to running and ill blag an iron or something. Running is simple, im simple, we were made for each other

Doner Kebab    pirate
26/07/2013 at 18:23

now its time to get my arse down to derby to the thunder run, running solo, come and make me food if you are around that area sat/sunday  

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.