Hooray - there's gonna be a Triathlon in town!! oh no, I need help

Hayle (Cornwall) Tri - Sat 21 August 2004

21 to 35 of 35 messages
09/08/2004 at 13:26
received all the maps & info today

I've been off-line for 12 days due to crap PC which cost me a huge amount of money 2+ years ago - the 60Gb hard disk had failed (like they do!!??) but to make it worse I had to wait 10 days for an engineer (I paid for 3 yrs on-site with EVESHAM)

in the past couple of years I've had 4 monitor "swap-out"s - a replacement motherboard - hardware not connected properly - but this has been the worst cos of having to re-load all the software & re-register (plus just starting on re-loading all the music ..... )

back to the Tri ...

I shall be wearing a shortie wet suit which I am finding very difficult to get off - cos of the short sleeves!!??

any tips ??
09/08/2004 at 14:14
does it zip up at the back or is it somw new fangled contraption?
09/08/2004 at 20:59
yep it zips up the back, but not a long enough zip, so you cant pull the whole thing down far enough - and any available hand disappears

I try to get one arm out, unsuccessfully

the obvious thing seems to be to pull the top down, then I get stuck trying to get both arms out - ooooeer

sounds daft

feels daft too
10/08/2004 at 12:29
Nope doesn't sound that daft, I've got a surfing wettie with a short rear zip which is a pain to escape from too. How about unzip, left hand over right shoulder, grab top of back of collar, pull this bit of wetsuit round to chest / stomach while pulling right arm out, then repeat with opposite arms? Think that's how i do it. hope it helps
10/08/2004 at 12:31
is it a tri wetsuit or a surfing/diving one? i understand that trying to swim in a non-tri one will make you slower rather than quicker, so in that case it might be an idea to ditch it all together. you should be able to hire a tri one, you usually can. or just use a costume.
10/08/2004 at 18:26
Thanks scoub - I'll have a go at that !!

candy - in the race info it says "wetsuits must be worn"

and yes it is a surf wetsuit - I actually bought it from one of the race organisers - she has lost weight & has got a proper tri suit now - I just jumped at the chance of buying one that fitted well & was only £40 and would get me swimming in the sea for longer than 20-25 mins

and without having to go to Helston tri shop & consider serious money !!

11/08/2004 at 13:53
Hey Paskha, dont you think the cycle will be a tad hectic at 10 o'clock in the morning on a saturday in Hayle?

Its gonna be a good event though!

Ive decided to take part to support the local tri so it returns next year. I was going to give tri's a miss for the rest of the season due to a back injury though this has come up and thought i have to be part of it.

I should be training for the Bristol Half as part of a Cornwall A.C team going for the overall, so ill just add it in to the training program.
12/08/2004 at 10:08
Hi there jeffery lady killer (?! the name jlk - i'm thinking i'm thinking!!) I guess I should know who you are - or at least seen your name in results !!

well yes, it will be busy on the A30, but no more than most days I hope

once we turn off & go along the Marazion bypass towards Helston, it may be quieter but that Helston road can be quite dangerous in places regardless of traffic volume

I'm confident about the bike-run as I know the roads

but the swim - HELP - will I ever get out of the water ????
12/08/2004 at 11:02
Yeah you cant miss me, the hair generally gives it away. Very Blonde!

The swim will be pretty good one way due to the tide. The times ive swam in the pool the tide has made it much faster, therefore
less effort!!
22/08/2004 at 14:14
THE RICK RESCORLA MEMORIAL TRIATHLON 2004

First off I'd like to say a BIG THANKYOU to everyone & especially to Karen & others involved with all the organisation for what was a really enjoyable event - Total starters: 99 including a few teams

there was a bike crash unfortunately - caused by a rabbit apparantly - two competitors were involved & were unable to finish - one poor guy broke his arm - commiserations to him & thank god it wasn't worse

the whole thing went off really well topped off with perfect weather & a lovely setting - including the lady Mayor waiting to congratulate us all and put the medal round our necks at the Finish - for which the poor woman got a kiss from me !! (I did reassure her all the wet was mostly water !!!)

SWIM - 1000m - we all had to get in the water before the Start - and it was much colder than expected!! all black wetsuits & yellow hats - I had no idea who was who & I'd swapped my glasses for goggles, so no chance of reading numbers on hats, I couldn't get into a rhythm with the crawl & was at the back with 2 others - ended up swimming breast stroke most of the way - relaxed & enjoyed it, chatting to the canoeists - swam up the estuary & round a couple of orange buoys & back again - an embarrassing 29 mins!!

Transition & BIKE 25 miles - I WAS COLD & a bit wobbly - drank some energy drink & munched a purple nutrigrain - struggled with the wetsuit!! - had no cycle shoes or cleats - put on socks, trainers (my sister gave me elastic laces & toggles) & padded shorts, but the sun soon warmed me up - I set off after about 6 mins !!!! feeling good & waved to folk clapping - then immediately got stuck in a traffic jam !! so took 20 instead of 18 mins down the A30 - about 6 miles (slight headwind) to the Marazion bypass roundabout - there was a mild westerly breeze, nothing significant though.
Now heading East towards Helston, there are a few gradual climbs up to Hill-top garage – approx 10 miles - where we turn back to Hayle. The last 8 mile stretch is the fastest, with only a few dips, & the last few miles are all downhill - I was slow though – it took me 93 mins altogether

RUN - 6 miles - hardly any time in this Transition as all I had to do was rack the bike, remove
helmet & grab my running bottle, which had been left in the sun - ugh, too warm. The run was really nice as it was an out & back x 3 alongside the water, so saw most of the other competitors, & there was some shade from trees, lots of encouragement & a completely flat course!! kept doing a bit of walking until mile 5 - about 10 mins before the Finish - at that point I was good & ready to carry on RUNNING !!! 59 mins

I wasn't quite the last - Total Time: 3:08:56

AH well !! LOTS of room for improvement then !!!

The Cornish Arms was the apres race & prize presentations venue - with plenty seats & tables outside for most of us - I was offered a lift home (& the bike) so was able to have a beer!! - which went straight to my head

now I need to plan my next one & get some specific training done .... and maybe get a proper Tri wetsuit

Lize

22/08/2004 at 20:31
Well raced paskha, always good to see people enjoying the races.No wobbly legs after the bike? You must be a natural :o)
23/08/2004 at 12:32
well done Paskha, good training for your Im next year? :)
23/08/2004 at 15:30
Thanks Iain & briano - the good weather certainly made up for my only other "not just running" event - the Ballbuster 98 which was all rain & cold

briano - how did you get on yesterday? is there a thread about it?
24/08/2004 at 13:58
Hi paskha, there's a thread on events - concorde tri - enjoyed it, had a good day out.
04/02/2005 at 19:27
I organised Hayle Triathlon and have just read the comments. Thank you so much for the kind comments. We are doing it again on Sat 24th July at 9am. Entries will be available from www.hayletri.co.uk shortly. We are increasing the numbers to 200 and welcome all levels. The swim is safe and enclosed, the cycle is fast and undulating and the run is 3 flat laps. Go on, come and give it a go, do your first tri in Cornwall.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 35 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.