Hours long turbo sessions, do you watch tv or music?

1 to 20 of 59 messages
18/11/2013 at 12:01

All you hardcore turbo users, if your sessions last hours how do you cope? Do you do it in front of the TV with music channel on or have your favourite ipod music blasting?

Just curious.

18/11/2013 at 12:04

Cant have music too loud as I do it at night and would wake kids.

Tend to either have Ipod or try to time it with football on the tv.

Malc

18/11/2013 at 12:07

bit of everything depending on needs

for short sessions I use music, for hard sessions I use Sufferfest turbo training videos, for long sessions a mix of viewing - at the weekend I watched The Sweeny on Lovefilm on Saturday and live rugby yesterday, both streamed through to my laptop in the garage.

cougie    pirate
18/11/2013 at 12:11
What are you doing on the turbo though ? If you're working to heartrate then you should be focussing on that.

It's easy to sit on a turbo and turn the pedals over - if you're doing that you'd be better off not bothering. The longest session I've done is about an hour but at a toughish intensity.
18/11/2013 at 12:13

How long have some of you guys longest turbo sessions bean in terms of time and miles?

IronCat5    pirate
18/11/2013 at 12:27

When it was snowy and icy outside last winter I did some longer Sufferfest videos - no more than 90mins or 2 hours.

Otherwise they are short and sharp sessions - 45-60 minutes. I find distance on the turbo is largely irrelevant as the turbo session is more 'quality' than an outside ride of the same duration.

18/11/2013 at 12:34

i am vaguely considering attempting the iron distance upon the turbo.

vaguely.

18/11/2013 at 12:44

I think that four hours is my longest turbo session to date - I work to HR and couldn't watch or read anything, as Cougie says I need to focus to keep the effort up - I do have music on though.

Miles on the turbo bear no resemblance to miles outside in my experience, it's x amount of time in x HR zone.

18/11/2013 at 12:55

I listen to music watching triathlons on tv, but having done the Iron distance on my Watt bike wouldn't recommend it, there is no way my turbo time would equate to the Ironman time, and as others have said, nothing compares to miles outside.

18/11/2013 at 12:59

I've started using rollers and if i try to concentrate on anything other than staying on the thing i come off the side! Almost all turbo sessions I do, I do with a small group. Makes it more bearable. I know some people like to do intervals while watching films and switch between hard and easy efforts whenever the scene changes.

cougie    pirate
18/11/2013 at 13:03
Budjude - why would you bother even ? It's not the same. It would just be a waste of hours.
18/11/2013 at 13:07

dont know how you assume its a waste of hours when the aternative is sitting on the sofa.

18/11/2013 at 13:09

I did four hours once, during the slow last year...never, ever, ever again. Nearly gave up cycling after that.

Another vote for Sufferfest though

cougie    pirate
18/11/2013 at 13:10
Get out on the bike and do it for real ? You wont be keeping up the intensity on the turbo or clocking real miles. Its a pretend distance on the turbo. Does nothing for your bike handling either. If you have time on your hands - do a decent harder session on the turbo and go for a run after.

Its not even a confidence booster "well i could do the distance inside"....
18/11/2013 at 13:22
Budjude wrote (see)

dont know how you assume its a waste of hours when the aternative is sitting on the sofa.

Why is sitting on the sofa the only possible alternative?

18/11/2013 at 13:26

Stop being Pedantic Wilkie as usual.

18/11/2013 at 13:27

for the challenge of doing it??

I know its not 'real' miles but its surely better than doing no biking at all in the winter? (i only get time to go on it very early or late on so long outside rides are not feasible at the moment)

Good to have something to work towards

18/11/2013 at 13:55

"I know its not 'real' miles but its surely better than doing no biking at all in the winter? "

get a mountain bike (or cross bike) - no excuse not to go out then and do something off road.  in the last 2 winters we've ridden in snow and ice - great fun for an hour or 2 in snow and good for handling skills.   cycling in snow is bloody hard work so you also get a good workout.  and with some decent lights off-road riding can be fun and there's no traffic to worry about.

I'm doing longish turbo sessions at the mo as I'm taking part in the #turbovember challenge which is basically a minimum of 30mins every day for a month (plus a few longer sessions - max 2hrs - and some brick sessions thrown in) but the thought of doing a 180k turbo session just leaves me cold

cougie    pirate
18/11/2013 at 14:00
How early is early ? How late is late ? You'll struggle to do an IM if you can't get out and do long rides. I'll not ride on the roads if there's snow or ice, but other than that - you need to get out there.
18/11/2013 at 14:07

need to be done by 7 in the morning and cant start till 7 at night at the moment, plus lets be honest in the wind and the rain and crap at the moment i wouldnt want to be outthere.

come better weather i will be back outside pre dawn, but for now, for me, there is no advantage to be gained from doing a short, cold, wet ride outside.

i dont have the funds to have two bikes, i sold my mountain bike to buy the road bike

1 to 20 of 59 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.