How bad were you...

...1 year before your first IM?

261 to 262 of 262 messages
21/01/2014 at 21:14

I smoked 40 a day up until Jan 1999, gave up when it turned £3 a packet, started running and managed 3 miles without stopping by March. Did my first sprint at Horwich (for those that know me that is somewhat a sign ) and came 3rd, thought this was easy.

Then in Sept 1999 did Bala Olympic distance and nearly coughed a lung up, back to reality.

Bravado and a willingness to push further than my mates meant I did the Longest Day IM distance in August 2000, finished in 11.26 and loved it, unfortunately I am a mad sportsman at heart so that Xmas I snapped my ACL snowboarding in Whistler and took 3 years off, coming back in 2003 and doing IMCH.

Done a few more since then getting faster each year, at least one a year except 2010 and 2013 when we had a child each of those years.

Still love it and aiming to do Copenhagen this August for number 15.

21/01/2014 at 23:04
I'll answer this next year, after IM Wales

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
261 to 262 of 262 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.